Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

needed-help w/*custom* sofa construction questions

mahatmacat1
10 years ago

HAPPY New Year, all! I have a question about upholstery that I hope you won't mind helping me with. For our family room, we are actually having a sofa *made* by a person who makes the sample sofas for a local furniture manufacturer and works on the side for himself. We're having something very modern made, much like the "Bantam" sofa at Design Within Reach, but with a tight, tufted back, longer and deeper (and financially "within" our "reach"!).

Two points I have questions about and haven't been able to find any expert opinions on:

1) Re the tufted tight back cushion--he's willing to do it any way we want, but which way is stronger, with buttons or with a horizontal seam that's pulled back (invisible tufting) every so often? I read about buttons popping off of manufactured sofas, but is that an unavoidable fate? If he makes them very well, would it be stronger than the invisible tufting? Durability is the key factor in this decision, rather than form.

2) the bottom front of the frame, where it's covered with fabric: is it stronger if there's a welt line there at the seam, or if it just wraps around and under? My instincts tell me a welt would make it stronger, less able to be rubbed down, but what is your thinking?

If you happen to see this email soon, I would so greatly appreciate your all's perspective on these issues. We're already getting extra firm foam and hardwood construction throughout--the questions I ask above are two final small but important points that I don't want to make mistakes on, and fellow Decorating Forum people understand the importance of details : )

THANKS!

Comments (5)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think with button tufting there is less force on the fabric that is pulled back, and it is transferred to the back and shank of the button which is metal. (Good coats often have a small button on the inside opposite the outer button). Overall I think the button tufting is stronger. And if a button pops off, an upholsterer can put it back on.

A welt at the bottom will not be "stronger" but it will wear harder than pulled over fabric and take more rubbing.

A big part of durability is how it is upholstered. My upholsterer made what was essentially a tight slipcover that was then pulled over the frame. So it was mostly sewn and not just pieces stapled and tacked on the frame.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I love the Bantum sofa, Fly! We just got our new catalogue today-perfect timing. ;)

I agree with everything ineffablespace said-buttons and welting.

Now, you will post pictures when you get it won't you?

Oh, and no, I did not pre-order the new album-just realized I never responded to your question. Did you?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and Neil is in DC in April. :)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, ineffable and cyn. The information helps a lot and I've just communicated our choices to the sofa-builder (more than upholsterer--but he's not a manufacturer...).

G*d, I hope this works out...I know what I see in my head, and I *hope* I've communicated everything effectively to him...he's definitely expert and I've seen his work...but still I won't feel comfortable until I have the 96" long, 23" seat depth, 6" wide arms, conical legs, greyish brownish hopsack-ish fabric with three cushions (practicality) and nicely tufted back and lots of welting right in my family room where I want it. There's too many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, iykwim.

and yes, cyn, I've pre-ordered...but decided we're not going to go up to Seattle to see him live. Bummed he's not bothering with Portland : ( He used to, with his earlier solo albums and Finn Bros, but not now. Do you have tickets? I read that the LA concert for "DH" sold out in 2 minutes.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ohoh, no I haven't bought tickets yet. Now you have me worried. It is general admission here- no reserved seats, so I thought I wouldn't need to rush. Maybe I had better rethink that.

The sofa sounds beautiful. Can't wait to see it in situ!