Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

CL rug. What do you think?

sixtyohno
10 years ago

Hello, I really like this rug, but I can't tell if it is wool or where it was made etc. The seller said he works in foreclosures, and he was able to get it from "a very nice house." He doesn't need it. He had a dealer look at it who said he should ask $1200. He has had no offers at 1200 so he dropped the price to $750, no reasonable offer refused. It is in a storage unit nearby.
If indeed it is an oriental, it should have a label, I think, but my 3 rugs no longer have their labels.
I love the colors, the design and the size for my LR. I think there is a shadow across it in the photo.
Please advise. We can see it tomorrow.
thanks, Laura

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/4260353026.html

Comments (31)

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I don't think that is a shadow. I cannot see a corresponding change in the pavement at the same point. But yet, it is an awfully straight line to be anything else. I'd go see it. Linked is an article on how to determine the fiber.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiber ID

• Olychick
    10 years ago

it looks like it's been folded and that is a crease. Might be a problem, usually they are rolled for storage...don't know if it would break the fibers or backing if there is one.

• abgardeneer
    10 years ago

Looks like wool on cotton, but of course, that's just from the photo...

With respect to whether or not the price is "fair", the things to determine would be what the rug is made of (as said) and whether it is actually hand-knotted. If you flip it over and look at the backing, you can easily determine if it's knotted or machine-made. Again, it appears from the photo be be a hand-knotted rug, and that would be commensurate with the price. (Actually, it's easy to forget how inexpensive oriental rugs actually are, given both the materials and moreso the effort that goes into them. People pay much more for machine-made synthetic rugs without even thinking about it.)

There is sort of an odd colour change about a fifth of the way in up from the base of the photo... is this the shadow you're talking about? (I can see that the rug is in shadow, as compared to the left side of the photo where the car is parked.) Colour differences from different yarn dye lots (abrash) are common to hand-knotted rugs (and even part of the charm and individuality) though it is not so common (nor normally so abrupt) in "factory" designs like the rug in question.

Presence or absence of a label means nothing.
    It looks like a beautiful rug. Just curious whether the apparent colour change is real or not.

Edit: You can see from the repetition of motifs that the end section is not "added on" or a repair done with a piece of a different rug.

This post was edited by abgardeneer on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:10

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your help. If the snow and ice hold off, we will go see the rug tomorrow and I will report back.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

It appears the lower part of the rug was repaired, or added to at some point. If you look at the pattern and color of the narrow strips that outline the border you can see it changes near the bottom 4th of the rug. IMO that's too sharp of a change in color for it to be any kind of shadow. Even the fringe on the lower part looks different than the top end.
    It's definitely not worth $750.........

• bbstx
    10 years ago

The only other thing I can imagine that would cause the change like the one in the picture is fading. But I can't imagine a situation where the upper 3/4 of the rug would have been in shade or, more likely, under a piece of furniture, and the lower 1/4 would have been exposed to sun.

If you look at the link to the ad, in one of the close-ups, the rug definitely looks faded to me.

A mystery! I hope the weather cooperates and sixtyohno has an opportunity to go see it.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I find that in all three photos , the fringe looks too white to be an older rug.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

The band of color you are all seeing on the bottom.... do you also notice it in various other places of the rug? It's also light on the far end and in a couple spots throughout (follow the black band in the darker section with your eyes... you can see where there is a tan band in various sections, including the ends.) I don't think black fades to light tan like that... so, was this on purpose? It's weird.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

It's not what I usually think of as abrash.

• User
    10 years ago

Looks like the bottom is sort of folded up on itself. If it's not severely faded by the sun, it is a newer, machine made "second" and I would not buy it at any price, unless they offer it for a few hundred and you can hide the defect or damage.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I'm wondering if it was improperly dry cleaned at some point?

If you decorating style was minimalist, and you had a large room with old wood floors, I could see this there. Just the right amount of "depressed" ,"chabby chic", not looking brand new - a style I like by the way. BUT - I would not pay anywhere near $750. More like under a $100 honestly. That is if there is indeed a defect. Like others suggested, you should go check it out in person if possible. The photo could be misleading.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Very strange. It looks like it's been pieced. That they don't mention any of the wear/damage, I would pass.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but something's way off with that rug.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well- We bought the rug. It is an abrash on both ends. It is definitely not pieced or faded. The color used to outline the flowers and the thin border changes from almost black to a light tan. It is wool, newly cleaned and it is very attractive. We paid $350.
    Here's my reasoning. I read about abrashes and they are not considered bad. It appears that the weaver sometimes uses a different dye lot or run out of a color. Google images has lots of Tabrizes with all sorts of changes.
    I love the way it looks in the room and I could never find anything I like better for that kind of money or even a bit more.
    I appreciate all the help here on GW.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another photo

• bbstx
    10 years ago

COOL! Mystery solved, and it looks great in your house.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another photo

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I almost forgot the most important photo. My dog, Dillard, looks especially lovely when he lies down on the rug.

• jjam
    10 years ago

Perfect! I wasn't familiar with the term abrash but I can see that if it is done intentionally, I'm sure it looks cool in person. The photo wasn't promising but I'm glad you looked at it. For that price, it was a great buy that will give you lots of enjoyment for years.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Looks like it was made for the space. Congratulations on finding the perfect rug.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I never would have given that rug the time of day based on the cl pic, but so glad YOU did! It looks fabulous in your room. And what a great price. You must be so pleased!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Yeah, it looks wonderful!

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Love the rug and the whole room - perfectly suited. I'd love to see more shots of your home.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Well, blow me down. That doesn't even look like the same rug. You got a great deal.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your help with my rug.
    I didn't know the term abrash until abgardeneer defined it here on GW. I would not have had the confidence to buy my wonderful rug had I not read about the abrash and viewed images on Google.
    Thank you for all your kind comments about my LR.
    Laura

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It looks much better in the house than it did on the blacktop.

One thing that I can say about rugs is that some of the dyes are fugitive and the rugs do change color at different rates, particularly where there was a change in material, like an abrash.

I have the rug that was in the front hall of my parents' house and it is not the same color that it used to be and it is more distinct in parts of the rug and I know it's not sun fading. There are also a couple of colors that were only barely visible on the edges of the rug when it was new, now showing up distinctly as spots in the field of the rug.

What the original photo does show is how unflattering bright sunlight and the wrong angle can be (to All things really). One of my rugs looks awful from one direction if caught in camera flash. But it doesn't look like that IRL.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wow, the rug looks amazing in your LR! Glad it meets Dillard approval, too.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Dillard is gorgeous! Love greyhounds. Also, the rug looks great.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Looks great in your space! What a good deal, congrats!

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Beautiful rug and what a fantastic price. It suits your room perfectly.

• amykath
    10 years ago

That's a fabulous deal you got. It's gorgeous and perfect for your lovely space!!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County