Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy518

Question for Allison regarding F&B French Gray

tammy518
15 years ago

I seem to remember Allison having some rooms painted in F&B's French Gray. Allison, if you see this, would you mind posting a picture? Also, all of my rooms and colors are the typical gold, green and red, so do you think I could get away with introducing a little of the French Gray in my home?

One thing I am thinking of using it for is to paint a hutch for my dining room. My dining room walls are SW Blonde, and I have light-colored Ethan Allen Country French furniture in there now. The bottom of my sideboard is EA's white painted finish. I'd like to buy a used hutch and paint it. At first I thought I might paint it black, but not sure it would go with the rest of my stuff. Then I happened to remember your French Gray and I'm wondering if that would potentially work and fit in with my other furnishings.

Comments (26)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Hey Tammy,

I have several rooms painted F&B French Gray. They all look different at different times of the day. I'd hate to say it would go with your gold, green, red and then it not - hard for me to say without seeing your room(s). Really depends on the colors. Good luck!

No window:

Brighter light/sun:

Kitchen Island is also painted the F&B FG, but has a black based glaze:

Here is a link that might be useful: French Gray Island Kitchen

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Allison! Your kitchen island is kind of what I have in mind. I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll try to take some tomorrow.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Allison,
    I don't believe I've ever seen that bathroom photo!! It's beautiful... I love that little vanity/makeup table!!
    I do remember seeing your soaking tub, but I think it had windows around it, and I didn't see the bath it was in.
    Looks great..... but why does that NOT surprise me??!! :o) he, he
    Your entire house is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! :o)

• redbazel
    15 years ago

That is a beautiful bath, and I'm thinking of much the same thing, maybe using it somewhere in spite of my sage and gold and reds. I just bought their fan deck and have the whole enchilada to play with right now. But if I can decide on a chair fabric, can I make a paint choice?

Red

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Tammy, the island photographs tend to look a little more blue-ish. IRL, it's more green than blue or gray.

Thank you, TB. There was a thread awhile back asking if everyone thought it was okay to hang dishes in a bathroom. Looks like it has rolled off GW. I believe it ended up being close to 50/50. Many of mine are handpainted. See the two next to the closet door - the larger one was a wedding present to my parents. DH gave me the largest in the group for Christmas one year. They used to hang in the DR of our last home.

Red, I love their colors. Let us know what you select.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison, just had to come look at your beautiful kitchen again! Hmmm...if the island is a little more green than blue, maybe something like that will work out in my dining room. I'll try to get some pics posted today.

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

Love the French grey . Wonderful design Allison.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Thank you, Frenchdressing.

Tammy, the island is not blue at all in reality. My last post is sort of confusing, after reading it again. The KWL photos are closer to reality than the FKB photos. The first few pictures I took/posted three years ago, it looked BLUE blue. I'm looking at it now and it's green.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't posted pictures here in a long time, so hopefully I remember how to embed them directly in the post. The pictures didn't come out the best, but this will give you some idea. Most everything will stay in the room except the valance.

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Tammy518/DSCN0221.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Tammy518/DSCN0220.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Tammy518/DSCN0219.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Tammy518/DSCN0218.jpg[/IMG]

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

^^^Well, I see that didn't work, but you can still copy and paste to see the pics.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bumping so Allison hopefully sees the pictures.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Posting pictures so I can see them....then I'll be back. (Sorry, was so busy yesterday!)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Yes, I think French Gray would go well in your room.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Allison!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Pretty home.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Red!

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison, if you see this, just wanted to say that we found a hutch and just got the sample of French Gray yesterday. Thanks, again, for posting pics of your beautiful kitchen and bathroom!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

That's great! Post pictures when you're done.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Tammy, don't forget to update this thread!

Red

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sure will, Red. Ever since we bought the hutch, hubby and I have had to work most of the last couple of weekends, so we've not even gotten this started. I'm so anxious to get the hutch painted and put in place as I really need the storage.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I am splotching a (Sherwin Wm's mixed) sample of F&B's French Grey, right now in my entry. It looks good but I need more light and maybe a bit of sunshine tomorrow to see for sure. I wanted something more grey or more brown, but keep striking out with this not-too-light entry. RH's Flax looks amazing, but may be too dark.
    One of my top contenders was F&B Mouse's Back. I was sold on that, but my DD keeps saying it's too much like the Baby Turtle in the LR and the Northampton Putty in the DR, both of which are adjoining the entry. However, I MUST show you guys a blog where they painted the bottom cabinets in the Mouse's Back! I wondered if that is a look that might work for Tammy?

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog showing Mouse's Back on bottom kitchen cabinets...so pretty!

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for posting that, Red! I really like the Mouse's Back. I'm still trying to figure out what color to paint the hutch when we finally get the time to do it. I love Allison's pics of the French Gray, but I've painted a piece of cardboard and had it in my dining room for a while now, and in my room it's perhaps a bit too "minty." My dining room gets a ton of sun during the day. I'll definitely check out the Mouse's Back. I'm wondering about the BM Revere Pewter that someone posted about. It looks like a very pretty, neutral color also.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Too bad. "Minty" would not be good.

• tammy518
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison, I know. I love it in your house, but not sure it's going to work in mine. I have thought about trying to glaze a poster board or something to see if that made it work better. Also, I'm going to be putting various dishes and tureens of all different colors on the hutch, so I want to try to paint it in a fairly neutral color.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Red - you're as bad as me! You jsut painted your hallway red not too long ago. For what it's woth I bet Flax looks awesome w/ BT but I can see where it might be too dark. What look are you going for?

Sorry - didn't mean to highjack this thread.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Ttodd, my family says that I am the Worst. I love to choose paint--what can I say? And....I bought that 'new' craigslist sideboard and am moving it into my entry. So I NEED new paint! And the vintage floral prints are going....I need something more.......masculine..... in the entry I think? Perhaps sepia prints or architectural drawings or something. I actually love the F&B color Mouse's Back, that I linked here in this thread for Tammy. But la familia think it's too green?

Red