Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

What size rug should go under a round table?

ncamy
14 years ago

I'm thinking about a round dining room table either 54" or 60" for my dining room. I don't know what size rug to put under it. The room is large about 20 x 13 and with each of the long ends open to the kitchen and living room. The room also serves as a major corridor between all points of the house and is where the central staircase to the upstairs is. Whichever table I decide on, it will probably be expandable but rarely extended. The dining room is where we will take all of our meals and it will usually only be two or three of us. That's why I'm considering a round table. I think it would be uncomfortable for two people to eat at a big long rectangular table for three meals a day. So what do you think about the rug? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I also have a round table with a one leaf extension. We don't always use the leaf, but I think the 'rule' is that the size of the rug should be big enough so that when someone is seated in them the chairs are all still on the rug. Put your extension in, pull the chairs out to where they would be when someone is sitting in them, and measure the width/length you would need for all the chair legs to be on the rug.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

My table is 44" round and with the 18" extension the table is 44" x 62". You need about 24" or a little less for each chair to be pulled out for seating. So with the extension in I need to cover a space with a rug of approximately 92" (44+24+24 for the table width and a chair on each side) by 110" (62+24+24 for the chairs on each end). My rug is a 9' by 7'. You'll need to do a little measuring and then get a rug that is closest to fitting the size needed.

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Patty do you have a pic of your round table on a rectangular rug? I have a 48" round and was wondering what shape rug would look best.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I don't know how to post pictures. Sorry. If you have a leaf making the table oval I think you really need to use an oval or rectangular rug or you would need a super large round rug. If you only us the table round with a 48" table you could use an 8' round rug.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

People need to be able to slide their chairs out and back under the table easily, with the chairs remaining on the rug the whole time.

Sounds like a large area rug might work well. I think it's usually about 12"-18" of flooring that's left exposed around the perimeter. A room-size area rug like that would be good for the room's 'corridor' use.

• dietcokejunkee
    14 years ago

I agree that it should be big enough so chairs are always on the rug. I read somewhere that 90 round is a good size.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

90 inch round would not be large enough for either the 54" round or the 60" round. A 48" round would work for 2-3 people as well as for 4 people. But that is a big rectangular room so a smaller round table may not look so hot. How about a racetrack shape or oval table or even a rectangular with 2 large leaves? A rectangular rug would work best in that room.

• stu2900
    14 years ago

I have to agree with justgotabeme. While I think rugs under dining tables look great in pictures I've never felt they were practical. Too hard to move chairs in and out and too hard to keep clean.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks sjt2900. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. Besides I love my wood floors! They are partially covered in the ladies and gentleman's parlors with rugs and a desk in the library I want to be able to see them somewhere! Lots of work went into installing them by my dear hubby.

• 22_cookie
    8 years ago

I agree with justgottobeme. I have found that it is hard to slide a chair in or out and it is much easier to clean the floor and not worry about stains. I say if you want your table to pop decorate it with a bright table runner or tablecloth or just do something special on the top for a centerpiece. I think you will render the same results.

• lascatx
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

First, something to think about: We are having a round table made and I initially wanted a smaller one with a leaf or two. My options were extremely limited (want a counter height for out room) and I thought I was going to order an Amish one when I found a local woodworker. He and his wife both said that if you want a pedastal, they would do everything they could to talk me out of extensions. They said they are great initially, but because of the weight and construcion of the table, they will always wind up having trouble. Now, he's building solid wood tables that should be around 100 years from now. If' you are buying something for the next 10 years, maybe you won't have any issues.

Their advise was to go with the largest size round that fit the room and keep it stationary. That would allow you to have a rug that always fits too. No worries about storing leaves, changing finishes, etc.

Are you going to have a buffet, server, china cabinet or other furniture in the room? The placement of other pieces could impact the size and shape of your rug. Search for photos of DRs with round tables. You basically have three choices -- no rug, fit the table with a round or square that is a minimum of 3-4 feet larger than the table (8-9 ft) or the rug essentially a room carpet. The size would then depend on whether you have other furniture in the room and how you want to define the space.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus