Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size rug should go under a round table?

Posted by ncamy (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 17:05

I'm thinking about a round dining room table either 54" or 60" for my dining room. I don't know what size rug to put under it. The room is large about 20 x 13 and with each of the long ends open to the kitchen and living room. The room also serves as a major corridor between all points of the house and is where the central staircase to the upstairs is. Whichever table I decide on, it will probably be expandable but rarely extended. The dining room is where we will take all of our meals and it will usually only be two or three of us. That's why I'm considering a round table. I think it would be uncomfortable for two people to eat at a big long rectangular table for three meals a day. So what do you think about the rug? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size rug should go under a round table?

I also have a round table with a one leaf extension. We don't always use the leaf, but I think the 'rule' is that the size of the rug should be big enough so that when someone is seated in them the chairs are all still on the rug. Put your extension in, pull the chairs out to where they would be when someone is sitting in them, and measure the width/length you would need for all the chair legs to be on the rug.

o

My table is 44" round and with the 18" extension the table is 44" x 62". You need about 24" or a little less for each chair to be pulled out for seating. So with the extension in I need to cover a space with a rug of approximately 92" (44+24+24 for the table width and a chair on each side) by 110" (62+24+24 for the chairs on each end). My rug is a 9' by 7'. You'll need to do a little measuring and then get a rug that is closest to fitting the size needed.

o

Patty do you have a pic of your round table on a rectangular rug? I have a 48" round and was wondering what shape rug would look best.

o
Oval rug with round table

I don't know how to post pictures. Sorry. If you have a leaf making the table oval I think you really need to use an oval or rectangular rug or you would need a super large round rug. If you only us the table round with a 48" table you could use an 8' round rug.

o

People need to be able to slide their chairs out and back under the table easily, with the chairs remaining on the rug the whole time.

Sounds like a large area rug might work well. I think it's usually about 12"-18" of flooring that's left exposed around the perimeter. A room-size area rug like that would be good for the room's 'corridor' use.

o

I'm might be odd, but I prefer no rug under a dining table. Seems there's not way it can always look right. Either it does with the chairs in, but not when someone is sitting on them. Not to mention it's not as easy to slide the chairs in and out.
Then there's the time when that round/square/rectangle table becomes longer in one direction and the lovely rug no longer fits the table. Therefore I choose to have no rug under our dining table. And when our grandson is here, which he is often, no worries about what lands other than in his mouth. Hardwood is much easier to keep looking new.

o

I agree that it should be big enough so chairs are always on the rug. I read somewhere that 90 round is a good size.

o

90 inch round would not be large enough for either the 54" round or the 60" round. A 48" round would work for 2-3 people as well as for 4 people. But that is a big rectangular room so a smaller round table may not look so hot. How about a racetrack shape or oval table or even a rectangular with 2 large leaves? A rectangular rug would work best in that room.

o

I have to agree with justgotabeme. While I think rugs under dining tables look great in pictures I've never felt they were practical. Too hard to move chairs in and out and too hard to keep clean.

o

Thanks sjt2900. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. Besides I love my wood floors! They are partially covered in the ladies and gentleman's parlors with rugs and a desk in the library I want to be able to see them somewhere! Lots of work went into installing them by my dear hubby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here