Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Pop up ads cover the text!

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

It was one thing when the ads would pop up when you scrolled over the link, but now any scrolling anywhere seems to trigger them to the point that I can't even read the posts. The ads pop up right where I'm trying to read. Instead of reading posts, I'm hunting around for where they hid the little "x" so I can kill the ad. Ridiculous. Please make it stop. This forum is becoming unreadable.

Comments (27)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I started a thread in discussions about this and gave up altogether on the newest kitchen lighting thread here because of it.

I can't even turn it off like you used to be able to do.

It's out of hand.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

I just installed Adblock Plus on my Mac a few minutes ago and the screen is clear of all pup ups. Loving it ! ! ! !

This post was edited by Toolbelt68 on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 17:14

• Lars
    9 years ago

I also have that problem when using the Chrome browser, which is what I have at work, and I also cannot even read the threads, as the pop-up ads cover the text, and I have to search for the "x" to make them go away. It gets to the point that it is not even worth trying to read a thread.

At home I use Firefox with an ad blocker, and I do not have them problem then.

Lars

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Using the safari adblock extension on my mac and no problems. Sometimes I may see one or two words with the green underlining, but nothing happens when I pass the mouse over them.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I run Firefox with
    *Adblock Plus
    and
    *Adblock Plus Pop-Up Addon.

Never a pop-up
    Not even the banner across the top.

• roarah
    9 years ago

It funny because today is the first day in months that I am not having that issue with my browser.

• roarah
    9 years ago

But I still have a duplicate posting issue apparently. .

This post was edited by roarah on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 17:33

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have the same as forboystoo and have the same result with no pop-ups anywhere.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yes....make it stop!! I had DS do an ad blocker on my iPad and it lasted a day. I just don't see the point.....no one is looking at these ads...they're only looking at how to get rid of them asap.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Today is the first time in a while that I'm NOT getting the annoying pop ups on my iPad. Hallelujah!

• Danahills
    9 years ago

I use Weblock on my iPad and no pop ups.

• FalParsi
    9 years ago

I had the same problem and clicked on ad choice or whatever appears on pop up. This lead to instructions re: to de-activate the pop ups. No problem since doing so

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The only thing advertisers understand is money. If we all make a commitment to write to each advertiser and tell them we will never buy anything from them until they stop their obnoxious behavior, they'll quit. As long as we do nothing, Garden Web will continue to sell the ads, no matter how much we whine.

I give Garden Web free professional content and they give me popups. What a deal.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Toolbelt68:

You got a safe link, please?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have ad block also and still get it, but not as much today for some reason. It comes and goes. It is JavaScript rinning in the background. I just posted a way to turn it completely off in your Safari settings if you want to try that. However, doing so might affect other websites, so you have to be aware of that and possibly go back and turn on JavaScript again. See Tibbrix's post in conversations for instructions. Easy peasy.

• User
    9 years ago

I have noticed this somewhat lately but today seems exactly as described that just reading a post the popups are out of control

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying- Forgot to say that I also run YesScript.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/con0320095511928.html?2

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm afraid to say anything lest I jinx myself.

I'm on a Mac laptop using the Chrome browser with ABP (Adblock Pro?). No problems. It says it's blocking 8 ads on this page.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

The pop up ads have been unbearable for the past few weeks. Today is the first time there haven't been any on my iPad.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I've used adblocker + for years and it works! I hope all of you using it will donate money to them - they provide the service for free and are funded by donations. I give $ every year, just $20 or so and it is so worth it!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Thank you linelle!
    Just got the ABP for Chrome & it seems to be working - linked text still appears, but mousing over it does nothing.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

Honestly, I *LOVE* GW for the content and the wonderful people who contribute. But the technology..... really REALLY outdated and un-user-friendly

• sandy808
    9 years ago

The pop up ads are obnoxious. I will have to take a break from Garden Web unless they stop. Life is too short to tolerate this.

• socks
    9 years ago

I got a reply from GW people this morning to do the following to stop the ads. It involves the green underlined words we sometimes see, but it stopped the obnoxious ads.

"I apologize for any inconvenience these ads as have caused you. We appreciate getting feedback from our members, and I have reported the pop-up issue to our community manager.

In the meantime, you should be able to opt-out of the in-line (green underlined) texts by following these instructions:

1. When you're on a GardenWeb page, hover your cursor on the double-underlined word, but don't click it. You will see an advertisement open in a pop-up box.

2. In the upper-left corner of the box, click the 'V' logo. A new browser window will open the Vibrant in-text advertising page.

3. Scroll partially down this page, and click the 'Disable' tab. Click 'Click here to disable.' The page should update to now say 'Click here to enable.'

4. Close the Vibrant in-text advertising browser window, then once you refresh your main browser window the Vibrant in-text advertising should disappear."

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

socks, thank you so much! I tried it and it seems to have worked. Wahoo!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Socks, I hope you don't mind, I copied your reply to another thread where folks were complaining, too.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Thax socks that seems to have worked--the other did not work unless you subscribed to a certain virus protection and they are CRAP so certainly did not want to do that.