Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Plan & CL Purchases for DS/Guest Room (pics included)

Valerie Noronha
13 years ago

As a follow up to my post last week regarding my short and long range plans for my college bound DS's room, after much deliberation I did decide to get the mahogany bed that I was considering on CL. I already own a set of mahogany nightstands that I purchased last year for my DD's room that would go perfectly with this bed. Early on I considering painting to match her other furniture, but DD preferred them as-is; which is fortunate as I found another set of cream colored nightstands on CL for her room and she has OK'ed the substitution.

Here is the bed and nightstands for DS/Guest Room:

DD's new nightstands:

Here is DS's Room Now:

Based on feedback from DS, the short term plan will be to remove the existing nightstand and put the larger bed in the same location so as to minimally disrupt my DS who is in the midst of his final semister of high school. I still need to purchase him a new mattress plus I want to use RAF on the bed so most likely I will do this over his winter break in Feb when he plans to be out for 3-days at a tournament.

As for the longer term plan when he is off at college and just using the room during school holidays/breaks will be to have it more comfortable for guests and either remove the desk entirely or replace it with a smaller vintage kneehole desk (CL purchase). I still want the room to have more of a masculine feeling to it so he still feels comfortable here. The bed will go in front on the window and flanked by the two nightstands. I'm considering blue and tan for the color scheme which should work with the existing rug. I'd like to paint the room a lighter blue and would love some suggestions since I may opt to paint the room over spring break in April. I am considering BM Paladium Blue which I had tried out earlier for DD's room, but am open to other suggestions. I'd love feedback on the idea of using dropcloth curtains which hopefully will keep that masculine feeling.

Comments (10)

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

love the bed, love the night stands! How do you get so lucky? Our CL doesn't have anything like that, I know because I check it all the time!

The night stands look like they were made for your DDs room and the bed will also look great in your DS's room with the other night stands. Great job!

No suggestions for paint, as I too am considering either a light blue or blue gray for our guest room.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful bed! I think it will look very cozy and masculine enough for your son.

Your ideas sound great. Blue and tan work well together. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations on the blue but I'm sure you'll get suggestions here.

You-ve done well on CL! Your daughter's nightstands are nice too.

I doubt I will ever buy furniture from a furniture store again (except sofas) with all the CL stuff available.

Have fun with your project!

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Great finds.

I do have just a couple of thoughts.

College students do a lot of homework and projects over term breaks, and also are known to pick up a summer school class when home. I have 2 college age kids, and have found this to be the case with them.

If you prefer not to keep the existing desk, then I would absolutely use the smaller desk in the room.

As to window treatments. They need to TOTALLY block the sunlight, because kids that age are actually "zombies" and cannot abide early morning sun at all. So whatever you end up with needs to be very functional.

I was also able to get several underbed baskets and use these for the items that had been on the bookcases before. So they are there, but out of sight.

• User
    13 years ago

Wow what a beautiful bed Val and it looks great with the night stands you originally bought for you daughter's room. The "new" ones you found for her are darling too. You have to have the best CL around.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Val,

Did you see the "blues" thread? She is looking for a blue for her son's room. There are some nice blues posted there.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mary_lu: I've been pretty fortunate with our CL and have bought and sold many items for our home there. Sometimes I do have to search for awhile as I did for the mahogany nightstands. I think I looked for over a month before I found a set in the size I needed; so when this time I saw the cream ones, I was very lucky since it was just the size I needed which is hard to find. I did need to drive 40 miles to pick them up though.

dawnp: Yes, I was following that thread as well for the list of blues. There are some lovely shades there to consider, though some more saturated that what I'm envisioning. I probably should start with a new comforter/bedspread, though, before finalizing.

justgottabeme: Thanks! Yes, I was pretty lucky to find what I wanted so quickly. Now the extra furniture is just sitting around, though, until I can work them in. DD likes the new nightstands--which I was worried about since she really liked the original ones as well and I wasn't sure she'd be willing to let big brother have them in his room and I wasn't too confident I'd be able to find another set, and if I did, if seller would sell just the nightstands since they are often sold as part of a bedroom set. My kids seem to be gaining an appreciation for older things, too, which is nice.

juliekcmo: Good point about the desk. I'll keep that in mind for when I get to the point of phasing it out to look for a kneehole one. About the drapes, DS already has 2" wood blinds there so I was envisioning the dropcloth curtains more as stationary panels. DS has no problems sleeping, night or day; if room were totally dark in daytime though, he might never wake up!

• User
    13 years ago

I would guess your children are learning their design ideas from their very talented Mommy.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

justgotabme: Awwww, thanks!

• les917
    13 years ago

Hey, those posts on the bed will make great clothes hooks for the 5 months a year he is living in there! ;-)

Looks like you are finding things that work well together - can't wait to see the room all done!

• User
    13 years ago

You're welcome Val. It's gotta be true!
    LOL @ Les.