Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Dining room rug...feeling indecisive!

Sueb20
11 years ago

DH and I are going to a local rug store this weekend to poke around, but I have a feeling their prices are going to be too steep for us (me). We have 2 aging bulldogs and I think now is not the time to invest huge sums on a rug. Having said that, this room is not a room where they spend a lot of time. They prefer to lounge in the living room where they can watch TV and curl up by the fire ;)

Anyway, here goes. The dining room, which we still call a dining room but only "dine" there MAYBE twice a year -- it's more of a library/reading room/game room -- is pictured below. We are awaiting delivery of a new table which is very similar to what's already there but it's new, Mission oak from Stickley, and has leaves (which we'll hardly use, but planning ahead for our eventual/next house). Also pondering new side chairs but the settee stays, as does a leather chair you can't see here.

Anyway, as I'm waiting for the opportunity to visit the rug store, I have found three rugs online that I like but they are all from manufacturers that I know nothing about. Wondering if anyone out there knows anything about these rugs, or just wants to weigh in in general. I know "Famous Maker" isn't a real brand, but maybe you recognize one of them from somewhere? All are from Rug Studio online. All are flat-weave wool rugs. Our current rug is OK but the colors are washed out, sort of blah, and almost everything else in the room is neutral. I'm looking for a rug with more color and I also like less plush rugs -- we have flat weaves in the rest of our first floor and I just love them.

1. "Famous Maker" area rug

2. another from "Famous Maker"

3. Kalaty Oak rug. I think this is my favorite.

BTW, this all started because of a new table. Now I'm off and running with new rug, new side chairs, and then, new curtains (or maybe no curtains, but the valances have to go). Poor DH. He just rolls his eyes.

Comments (41)

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

I'd be indecisive too if I had a rug as nice as the one in there now. Is there some reason to replace it? I like the valances but new curtains would change the feel of the whole room. I'd try that first before I dropped a bundle on a rug that might not even work in another house.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not as nice as it looks in the photo. I mean, it's okay but I don't like it very much. The colors actually look better in the photo than they do IRL. It's just...blah. Just my opinion really. I want a rug with a big more "oomph." Also not a fan of the wide border in this particular room.

Oh, and we're not moving for like 8 years so I'm not too worried about whether this rug will work in the next house or not!

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Only if you find a rug now that you will die if you do not get, would I get an expensive rug. I have a 17-year-old Persian and when I bought the rug of my life, had a 19-year-old tuxedo and a 10-year-old Persian. The tuxedo died 7 years ago and the Persian is alive and sometimes (always) sheds everywhere, so I put my dream rug in storage. It has been there 7 years and if this 6-year-old border collie ever dies, I will take it out. I might die before then and my rug, unused, will still be in storage.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh no, sorry about your rug sitting in storage! Okay, I don't know if something I said was misleading but the rugs I pictured are not heirlooms or "rugs of a lifetime." My favorite, the last one, is on clearance for 1500 plus another 20% off. The others were around 2000 and I think also 20% off. My other rugs on the first floor -- the ones my 3 dogs sleep on, puke on, fart on -- are similar construction flat weave rugs that wear like iron in spite of abuse from dogs and our human kids. They were each around $2000, which felt like a lot of money at the time, but 5-6 years later they still look terrific.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think, with the great vacuums we have available, wonderful spot cleaning agents, as well as the ability to have area rugs dry cleaned, I would buy what you love, maybe consider the one which will show things more (so you know they need attended to) or show things less (so you don't know) and USE and enjoy it. Sueb20, any of those would look great and will brighten your space.

I can't quite imagine paying storage for something that I love with the potential of dying before I use it. Some other person is going to end up enjoying a brand new rug (potentially); when I die, I'd rather they buy or inherit my well loved and used rug, cat hair and all, rather than a pristine, unused one. But that's just me :)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I LOVE the last one--and think it will give you the oomph you are looking for. Also like the second and from what I remember of your decor, it would go well but not necessarily stand out. I am not a fan of the first.. and I can't help you at all with the manufacturer (which I know was your real question).

I bought my flat weave from overstock-- it's a safevieh so not particularly great quality but it stands up to a lot of wear/dogs/spills/whatever. I don't remember the exact cost but it was around 900 then.. now selling a few hundred less, I believe.

OK, now to what I really want to say: I am still toying around with the idea of getting a settee/loveseat to use in my dining area and seeing your photo again convinces me that it is what I want to do. I still remember it from back when you ordered it-- and while a bit overly dramatic, it haunts me LOL. It's time.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Sue I have always loved your other rugs. That last one seems to be more the style and color tones of your existing rugs and seems more you.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funky, I keep going back to that last one. I love the rusty color and the fact that it has just a tiny bit of blue because I have just a couple touches of that same blue in the next room. I might just go for it.

Funny, the existing rug is a Safavieh. I think the quality is decent enough but the colors are muted and the patten is just sort of fuzzy/blurry/blah. I don't have the right rug vocabulary to define it, but the more vibrant colors and more defined pattern of that Kalaty rug just turn me on. Well, that sounds weird.

I do love my settee! I drink my coffee there every day! I only wish it came in other colors. That cream color was a risk, but it's held up well and cleans up easily.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

If you're sure you want a flat woven rug, I'd go for the last one. It has great colors and an interesting pattern. Also, I'm with you on the domino effect: I just bought a "new" Stickley table and rug, and now everything else has to change, too.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

The last one.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Yeah, Sueb, I'd say the exact same things about my safavieh flat weave. I'll replace mine as soon as it's in the budget (which has now been cut further with my reaffirmed commitment to get a mini sofa/settee for the dining area!)

#3 is stunning and it's a good time of year to bring in some vibrancy. Can you get it locally or must you order online?

• amykath
    11 years ago

I love love love the last one! Also, I agree curtains would look fabulous!

I love your room!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin, ha, I was going to comment on your dining room discussion about the fact that we were going through parallel projects!

Funky, the closest place to me that sells this brand is an hour away and it's an annoying drive. The Rug Studio web site is calling the rug "one of a kind" and the Kalaty site shows it as being available in only one size, so maybe there is only one? Who knows, but I think I'm going to order it today. I've looked at the rug pic on both the manufacturer web site and Rug Studio site, where they have a good "zoom in" feature, on both my desktop computer and my iPad, even printed it out and looked at it, so by now I hope I have a pretty good idea of how it really looks. I swore I would try to buy the rug for this room in person, but unfortunately we don't have any rug stores around here with good deals. And really, I've had good luck buying almost every other rug in my house online...

I'm gonna do it.

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

Google lets you input the jpg path to an image and search the web for matching images. I used it to find a list of images that match that last rug. Maybe you can find a better price? Hopefully this works:

Google Image Search Results

To use it for yourself, go to the link below
    http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Enter the path to your picture (the same one you used to post it), click the search button, and then click the Search By Image link on the search results page.

ETA -- from the image searches, it looks like your "famous maker" is Kalaty. That should help.....Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Matching Search

This post was edited by lkplatow on Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 7:46

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ak, thank you for the compliment. Even though a lot of decorating "rules" are broken in this room, DH and I like it!

lk, thanks, that is helpful (I never knew how to go that google image search!). I saw it at only one other online retailer and the price was higher than at Rug Studio.

Placing the order! Will post pics when it arrives.

Now on to chairs. I thought I'd found a couple that I liked, but they were too large.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Oh, I am so glad to hear you are ordering it! It will look great in your room.

I just saw your other thread on chairs-- you are buying the newer version of one of the tables I've been looking at. I decided I didnt want to go sooo craftsman but it's perfect for your library!

Can't wait to see your room develop!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Waaaah. Just got an email saying the rug is sold out!!

Sigh.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Sorry it's sold out. Can I talk you into considering rug #2?? I think that would look awesome with your things....

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I went to the other site that was found with lkplatow's search and ordered it there, even though it was $200 more ... Now just waiting for them to tell me it's sold out.

I do like rug #2 a lot but worry that it might be too much brown in a room full of dark brown furniture. (On the wall opposite the settee are two huge dark oak bookcases and a dark brown leather chair.) That's one I'd like to see in person to determine just how brown it is.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Hope the new site can deliver.. if not, I agree about needing to see #2. They are beautiful colors but could tip to too dark.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Fingers crossed for you!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I know nothing about how the three look IRL, but I'm drawn to number one. Kind of different from the traditional motifs, but could work in a room used primarily for games, etc. My late keeshond and late lab ruined a very good 10 x 13 living room rug before they passed, both from cancer, and I won't invest in a good replacement again, even though that one set the palette for the entire rest of the house. So, I know whereof Patricia speaks!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Some of them are pricey and a little small/oddly shaped, but there are some kilims on One Kings Lane today that may be good for you:

https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/18175

• amykath
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see the new rug! I bet you are so excited!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin, I didn't see anything that would really work there, which is good since I've already ordered the other one!

I thought it was odd that I never received confirmation of my order from company #2, so I just contacted them and they said yes, my order is being processed at the manufacturer and "they would have told us if it wasn't in stock," so hopefully it is really going to happen. And I'd better LOVE this rug after all this!

Next step, chairs. This is proving to be the hardest part.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG. My credit card was charged for the rug on Jan. 8, so today I got in touch with the rug company again and they told me it was (supposedly) sent by Fed Ex on the 9th and they "lost track" of it on the 11th. Basically, they are saying the rug is lost. The whole thing is totally suspicious to me because I never got a confirmation that they received my order -- you know how you usually get an email confirmation right after you buy something online? -- and I never got an email when they supposedly shipped it. Just sort of strange. So today they emailed me about 6 other rugs that I might like, many of which are higher priced than the original rug but they will give me any of them for the same price I already paid. I am looking at a couple possibilities but honestly feeling iffy about doing business with this place at all. I still have to take a good look at the pics of the rugs they're offering.

So annoying! Also ordered a neat bar cabinet for this room and guess what -- back ordered until mid March. On the bright side, the new table is arriving in a week!

• User
    11 years ago

I like the first rug very much. There's something nice about a striped flat weave rug, and one of the colors looks just like your wall color, which is great, btw.

But---I have a Kalaty rug that I bought as an interim rug whilst looking for "the" rug. It was fairly inexpensive, in the range you cite, and has not held up well at all. Just FYI!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When you say it hasn't held up well, what do you mean? I don't like the sound of that...though this is not a high traffic area in our house.

They are offering this rug for the same price I paid (1500) and I see it for sale on another rug site for $2600. It is also a Kalaty.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They also have the rug #2 (from way above) that they don't seem to be "offering" me but I could see if they would make me the same offer they made with the others (it is listed as the same price as the one I just posted).

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Wow sueb20, I love the one you posted at 17:19, very pretty. Hope you can get it for the same price. Also hope it isn't a scam. Do you like it?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I do like it. In fact, it looked familiar to me and I think it was a rug I looked at earlier but dismissed as being too expensive. I like the #2 rug too but I am not entirely sure I'll like that muddy green color (it looks brown but the color is called Eucalyptus) with all my dark wood furniture. I definitely like the more vibrant colors in the rusty colored rug.

I don't have DH's opinion yet.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I think it would look most attractive with your sofa! Yummm

• EG3d
    11 years ago

patricia43, My Border Collie is now 16 years and 7 months and 3 weeks old. So don't count on your Border Collie dying anytime soon.
    Sue, where is the rug you paid for? Is that company tracking down your rug? Or finding you another one? How suspicious!!

I hope you get either a great rug or ALL your money back!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rug I paid for is supposedly lost by Fed Ex. It was a "one of a kind" rug, supposedly (actually was listed as such at the original site where I tried to buy it too, but they didn't have it and even told me the manufacturer didn't have it...but magically this other site was supposedly able to get the rug from the manufacturer). They presented me with a list of several similar rugs "in case" the other rug is lost and said they could ship it tomorrow so they are obviously not waiting around to see of the "lost" rug is found.

If I didn't like the backup rug and didn't actually think the price they're giving me is a good deal, I'd get my money back and walk away. But if I order the backup rug elsewhere, it will cost me a lot more!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I love that last rug. I guess if you'd miss the green/gold/blue going on in the other it might not be a good substitute. I also thought the stripe would be different but can't really see your room.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Sue, I still love love love the "lost" rug but I actually like the backup better for your room. It has a bit of an arts and crafts feel and definitely feels like a library rug.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I ordered it. Told them that if this rug also doesn't show up, of course I'm done and will be expecting a full refund. DH thinks that original rug never existed. I tend to agree. Ah, whatever. I do really like this "new" one and will post pics when it arrives!

We got rid of the old table last night, friend is picking up the old rug this weekend, then I am going to pull out the remaining furniture and clean that room from top to bottom and probably take down the valances, too. I am having roman shades made, so next stop is finding fabric for both the shades and the chair seats.

• jb1586
    11 years ago

Sue, would you mind telling us the name of the second company that you ultimately ordered the rug from? I ask, because we will be ordering a rug online in the near future, and the estimated delivery time is a factor in our choice of online rug companies(we would have to time it with our trip to our condo in Fl., so the estimated delivery time would have to be somewhat accurate). Thanks!

• User
    11 years ago

Sueb, our rug is in a very high traffic area and I am pretty sure it is machine made, but it looks thin, is the only way I can describe it. You can't see the backing at all, but it has pilled a bit and just looks worn--- not in a fabulous, ancient Persian rug kind of way, lol. But this is a short pile, not a flat weave, so the two may not be comparable. I would just make sure that you can return it if you have problems.

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

I like the rug you are now buying, I actually prefer it over the first choice.

All Fed ex orders have tracking and I know from personal experience when something doesn't get delivered, Fed ex investigates, esp with something worth $1500. In my case, it was tires for Dh's corvette, about $1200 for 2 tires. I had calls from fed ex and then a fed ex rep who showed up at my door to get a statement- there were multiple cases of lost deliverys that week in my neighborhood.

Anyway, a neighbor 4 streets over found our tires along with a few other packages at a house where the residents were out of town (well, deployed and wife went to her parents). So, I let fed ex know because they were cutting my check the following day. TUrns out there was a substitute driver who just wanted to be done for the day so he started dumping packages wherever so he could return (they are supposed to come back with an empty truck).

I would stay on top of this next rug. I would want tracking info asap. How long does your cc allow you to file? It would probably be be based on your original charge, not todays date since you were not refunded and then charged anew. I hope you bring us good news and pictures of the rug in your dining/reading room.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, that is interesting about fed ex and only reinforces my thought that there is something just really fishy about this whole story. Meanwhile, after I told this woman at the rug co. (Rugs Done Right, btw) that I never got an email confirmation of my order or the shipment, she seemed like she didn't believe me and then said she would personally email me when the new order was processed and shipped. And previously, she had said the new rug would be shipped "tomorrow." Well, the next day I did get an email from the rug co. (not a personal email from the customer service rep) with a statement showing that my money had been refunded. WTH. Why are they now refunding my money if they're sending me a replacement rug? So today I will be emailing my good friend at the rug place again to see if I can determine if I'm ever going to actually see ANY rug from them! Needless to say, won't be shopping with them again.

I've had really bad customer service lately from a few sources. I'm starting to get a complex!