Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Can we talk about towels?

gillianma
14 years ago

Towels -- those everyday practical lengths of fuzzy fabric that we all use to dry ourselves after showers, baths washing our faces.

And also, if you must, Decorative Towels -- those cute decorative things that we put out in the hope (in my case) that guests (not family) use them.

The laundry forum was not much help, so I'm posting here. I'm hard on my practical towels. I always buy white. I like to wash my towels in hot water frequently, with a little bleach to kill germs. I do like to use the dryer because it makes them less crunchy.

Believe it or not I've had towels last almost 20 years, before they get relegated to dog towels. Somehow the ones I have bought in the last 5 years seem to collapse after 6 months. I think that towels (the practical kind) have gone way down in quality.

Do you have a brand of towel that you like? Why? How do colored towels last with frequent washing?

What am I doing wrong?

Comments (32)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Do you check to see if you are buying 100% cotton or a cotton/poly blend when you shop?

Detergent formulas have changed over the years. Are you using HE now?

Some famous brands of SOAP like Ivory are now detergent formulas. I was surprised to find this out in the cleaning forum. Even if you are brand loyal the formula may have changed.

Do you have new dryer or washer now? I think those front loaders batter things more but that is just my opinion.

I have found that looped towels wear out faster than those that are sheared on one side for that 'velveteen' feel.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Is it really surprising that things aren't made to last? I mean, it wasn't like you were monetarily supporting the company that made those 20 year towels.

Before I bought my last batch of towels, I really read studied the reviews. Some people reported towels falling apart, while other brands had dozens of raves about durability and quality.

Maybe it is a little crazy, but I have gotten to the point where I read reviews for everything. The last vac we bought, I was standing in a Target (because I wanted to see it in person and avoid shipping) while on the internet reading reviews.

• User
    14 years ago

It's a well known fact that both bleach and hot water wears down the threads of fabrics and like others have said with the changes in formulas of soap, the combination is probably detrimental to your towels. I have front loaders and don't agree with the comment regarding how hard they are on fabrics, it's actually the opposite as the loads are only turned in the water and not turned or twisted around by an agitator. I'm sure the quality of towels has also deteriorated as well, it's to be expected considering everything companies have done to compromise quality for profit in other consumer goods.

I get my towels at Home Goods, and buy the type I like for a reasonable price expecting to replace them within 5 years. Why pay a fortune for towels when they aren't going to last? Right?

• annes_arbor
    14 years ago

Lasting 6 months?!?! That's terrible. And I agree, the quality of the average towel has really declined.

I think there are two things to look for in a towel of exceptional quality. (1) gram weight--above 700 and (2) Egyptian cotton. Towels like this are expensive, but they will probably last the 20 years you want.

I do have a brand I like, but when I just googled it, I found out that company is not making towels anymore.

Good luck!

• gillianma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DillyDally, many thanks.

Many good points, the towels I bought were all 100% cotton and looped on both sides. They were from Linens and Things, BB&B (mid-range), and Target. The cheapo Target towels are lasting the best. Go figure!

I'm checking into the detergent, again a very good point. I have a top-loader. :-)

Paint chips, are you saying that items giving out after a few washings is a good capitalistic thing? I'm rather anti planned obsolecence. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence)

If I pay $$ for anything I like it to last. I'm a bit naive that way. I do review major purchases to the max, but a towel?

So, not being at all sarcastic, could you please share your conclusions on the best brand of towels to buy based on your extensive reviews. :-)

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

The quality of most things has gone down, that is my observation.

I rely on Consumer Reports and reviews. The last time I needed towels, I found a Consumer Reports review and they recommended Kohl's towels. I went and bought Kohl's towels and so far have been pleased with them. It has not been years, and I would get bored with the towel before years went by anyway. Oh another place to check is Good Housekeeping reviews.

Good Luck in your search.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I bought some white Pottery Barn towels on sale. They have been wonderful. I have a front loader (actually, I believe the front loaders are MORE gentle than agitator models, Dilly, since they don't pull and tug the clothes) and I use regular detergent (color and fragrance-free). I have begun to use cold water to wash everything and I do dry in the dryer so the heat will kill anything on the towels. I have had these for two years now and they look like new. Love it!

• scanmike
    14 years ago

My towels seem to last and I wash them often. I usually get them at HOme Goods, but I just bought some on sale at Restoration Hardware following recommendations from friends. They are very thick and plush and from what I hear, they last forever ($22.00 for very large towels, more than I ever spent).

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I buy JC Penney towels and only when they are on a buy one get one sale. I don't like to use the same color towel all the time, so in my linen closet I have a whole slew of colored sets. I save a few sets for guests, but the others get used by our family of 5. We are hard on towels; boys are on travel hockey teams, daughter is on 2 basketball teams, showers are frequent. Our towels last, the darker colors fade, but then we use them - they won't be for guests.

I use a front loader, wash in the sanitary cycle, dry on the line in the summer, dryer in the winter. I use Chralie's Soap for laundry detergent. I would never use bleach on towels, in fact I rarely use bleach on anything.

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I buy Bloomingdales own brand called Platinum. They are nice and big a fluffy. I've had them for years 10 or more. I usually get them on sale. I also bought some towels from Restoration Hardware and love them also. A different feel though from the Bloomie ones. I just buy what's on sale or discontinued.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Gillian, I wish I could remember. I had to compare by item number because I couldn't distinguish between towels.

LOL, I'm not making a capitalistic case for towels. I don't like that I've had 4 blenders or 10 computer mice in my life, but that is just the way it is. At least each replacement has been better than those before it.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

My experience...some pretty towels from BBB, L&T, Kohls, Target...don't hold up to washing at all.

I agree with Annes....
    I think there are two things to look for in a towel of exceptional quality. (1) gram weight--above 700 and (2) Egyptian cotton. Towels like this are expensive, but they will probably last the 20 years you want.

I am a fan of Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn...but I buy colors and patterns. I use Tide and Downey and hot water, and just dry till done and still fluffy. After about 5 to 10 years I am ready for a change, so doubt I have ever had a towel 20 years.

All in all though...I also agree that towel quality has gone down.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I just bought amazing HUGE 40x72" 100% cotton Turkish towels that are THICK from Frontgate.com for under $30 each. They do have white. I wanted big and thirsty and they sure are.

Will they last. Only time will tell.

Here's the blurb...

# Luxury bath towels are generously oversized in an array of vibrant colors
    # Includes an elegant dobby border for your free monogram
    # 700 grams per square meter of plush, absorbent combed cotton (average towel weight is 500 grams per square meter)
    # Woven from 100% pure, long-staple Turkish cotton finley combed for a smooth, soft feel

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontgate sale towels

• mmh1
    14 years ago

Ralph Lauren's 100% supima cotton loop towels have held up nicely. Another towel I like is Charter Club 100% pima cotton loops. Both of these I buy at Macy's department store, on sale they're about $10. Both brands are a good size and weight IMO.

• gillianma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many, many thanks, everyone.

I realise that I sounded like my late grandmother yesterday (may she rest in peace) with my grumpy "They don't make things like they used to!" The 20 year towels of iron were wedding presents (I can't remember the brand) but I'd be quite satisfied with towels that last 4-5 years. LOL!

Some great ideas and recommendations here for me to try for new towels and revised laundry techiques. I think I'll have to try a couple of different brands and do my own consumer survey :-)

P.S. Acting on a suggestion from someone else, I also spent some time this a.m. upended in the washer and half into the dryer to see if I could find any sharp protrusions that would be making holes in my towels. I couldn't find any, so it isn't that, but it was a useful idea that I wanted to share.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I'll second the recommendation to check out JC Penney towels. I've tried quite a few brands and I think hands-down the Penney towels are the best buy for the money.

I buy their top of the line store brand on sale-and Penney's has LOTS of sales, discounts and promos going on most of the time. My price point is usually $10 for the bath towels. I've linked to the website below--and lookit, they are on sale now for ten bucks!

I loved their Masterpiece line, which has been discontinued. The replacement line is American Living and although I've only replaced a couple of Masterpiece so far, I like the AL towels very much, they are very soft.

I buy white, wash them frequently in a front loader in hot water with bleach and get many years of good use out of them.

Good luck,
    Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney towels - on sale

• mzdee
    14 years ago

One thing on the washing. Bleach is hard on everything. I use lysol, brown bottle version. I add a tablespoon to my large bottle of laundry detergent and shake really well. Every load is disinfected without using bleach. It doesn't smell pretty, but once added to the detergent you can't smell it.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I just bought these towels and washcloths from The Company Store, and they are THE best I've ever used. I haven't washed them yet but I can't see them falling apart. The softness and absorbancy is wonderful. Plus they have that vintage look I'm into.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polka Dot Towels

• natal
    14 years ago

Gillian, nothing "grumpy" about "they don't make things like they used to." It's true! First time I married in 1972 I received towels that I still use today. Course now they're relegated to the rag pile, but still. Earlier this year when we were cleaning out my mom's house I grabbed towels from her rag pile that were probably just as old and looked just as good.

Oh, and on the subject of bleach ... I don't use it for anything except the hummingbird feeders and sometimes washing the house.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I think those Bloomingdale's Platinum towels are good, and I also like Ralph Lauren and Martex, but Martex isn't the brand it used to be. I certainly don't expect towels to last more than 5-6 years.

• sis3
    14 years ago

I usually buy my (white only) towels from Macy's. They are big and soft and last well.
    I use only cold or sometimes warm water and the correct amount of detergent for my high efficiency washer and softened water. I have read that most people use too much detergent which can make fabrics hard and whites dull. Using too little can also grey the whites. For the towels I use an extra rinse option on my washer to make sure all the detergent is removed. I use He detergent. Front loaders are generally believed to be kinder on fabrics than those with an agitator and I have certainly found them so in my 35 years of using them.

Years ago I purchased a brand new top loader which destroyed fabrics. After a few service visits a technician finally discovered tiny burrs in the plastic of the agitator. I had to get rid of the washer! Gillianma it was good that you checked your washer, did you check the agitator?

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I also love JCPenney towels. The Brazilian ones. I have used them for years and still love them. I think when I started it was because I had read some kind of report that put them of front. Here is the link to the ones I get but the price is sometimes better than this. Just keep watching them.

Here is a link that might be useful: here you go

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I buy my towels from Lands End when they're on clearance on the Overstocks section of their web site. I'm not entirely sure what name they are, but they are their higher-end towels. I really like them. I get the bath sheets for DH and me. Regular size for the kids!

I don't use bleach but my late stepmother did and their towels always were just about shredded, just falling apart.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

My favorites are Nautica brand that I buy at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are soft, super absorbent and hold their colors wash after wash. They are less expensive than some other premium brands. My only complaint is that they don't come in a wide range of colors. They do come in white, though.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love Pottery barn towels. Expensive but wow do they
    last. And I found these great towels called Hotelier from
    TJ Maxx. So far so good. I bought them last summer.
    Hotelier has 700 Grams per Square Meter is 100% cotton.

For me it is the Weight of the towel that is a key factor
    in quality and second the material it is made of. I love a
    high GSM and 100% cotton. I used to swear by Egyptian
    cotton but Pima is the new egyptian.

If you are shopping ignore words like Luxury look for the
    GSM and if it says 100% cotton. There are no real rules
    in the towel industry so they don't offer the GSm on the
    tag. But they should. Don't buy synthetic fibers such as
    polyester. This truly reduces the absorbency and softness
    of the towel. I say this from experience. I bought some
    bamboo and polyester towels that wound up being tossed
    out for the quality was sad.
    Hotelier has this funny pattern but they work great for
    me.

Pottery barn, expensive but truly a great product.

I keep looking for those towels at TJmaxx but my store
    is out. Hoping to buy a few more.
    ~boxerpups

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I see this post is over a year go, but this thread is helpful. I want the thickest, fluffiest bath sheets I can get. But I don't want to mortgage my house for them! I found thick towels on Amazon. They are 100% turkish towels 900g but the problem is I couldn't find the bath SHEETS to match. I had the towels about a year now. They don't stay that fluffy but are still nice and thick. You can't ever seem to get that soft feeling after two washes on any towel. I would always buy 100% Egyptian cotton/Turkish, find ones hotels use (those will last longer than any consumer market towel) and I would agree with all the posters here. Never go below 700g; just like you'd never go below 300tC on your sheets (for me it's actually 600 -800 is my personal preference). I'm gonna post another post about sheets and towels to reactivate this most important thread!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

The towels we use in our master bathroom were purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond years ago. They are just starting to wear out. I probably purchased them 10 years ago. A few years ago I purchased Restoration Hardware towels for a new bathroom remodel. That bathroom isn't used heavily for bathing, but the hand towel is used regularly. It has held up very well. It's thick and soft and seems absorbent. I haven't seen any visible wear on the towel. I'll probably replace my master bathroom towels with RH towels. I like their color selection and that they offer a towel-style bath mat and not just bath rugs. (I really prefer a bath mat and seem to struggle to find matching towel-style bath mats.)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I kind of like beach towels that ARE thin. First of all they take up less space when you fold them. The only time I had to throw one away was when it got too much sand on it.

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

CooperDR, I kind of agree with you. I remember feeling embarassed watching a hoarder-type TV show where the offender kept old towels because they were "just getting broken in". I see her point!

• vedazu
    9 years ago

kitty--thanks for an illuminating post!

• Aims
    9 years ago

I have to admit, we still use the same towels from when we got married. It's been 10 years and we still haven't bought new ones. We are building a house so maybe it's time!!!