Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi_diyer

Exterior Ideas Needed!

Heidi-DIYer
9 years ago

Greetings! I'm 30, purchased this home in Wisconsin last May. It's on a few acres with many trees and has a winding driveway and the house does not face the street. Since May I've trimmed the overgrown trees, cleaned up the landscaping and planted some perennials.

I do NOT care much for the yellow siding, it is in poor shape, therefore, will need to be replaced, not painted - quality vinyl most likely. The tan roof is fairly new so the color will need to be taken into consideration when planning siding color/trim/front door. I'm having a hard time visualizing a complimentary color to the roof and beige isn't a welcomed option. The yard is beautiful, natural & green, I want the house to compliment it - currently, it attracts bees and asian beetles (they love the yellow!).

I want to add more trim around the door and windows (hesitant about adding shutters), a contrasting colored fiber glass front door, new garage door & some INTEREST!

Ideas welcome!

Comments (20)

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the view of the house from the driveway. Already removed the arborvitae and I plan to take down the hoop & possibly add some interest with a horizontal piece of white trim above the garage, perhaps a different type (shake) or color siding above and below the horizontal trim piece. A new garage door too...

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Playing around..

Here is a link that might be useful: Owens Corning

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

ooo Heidi how much would that cost? So pretty! I was thinking too a porch would be what I would want. You are blessed not to have your garage facade in the front. Wish I had that. I would definitely plan my landscaping so people are orientated to the front door. What does the house face if not the street? It woudl be easier to suggest how to do that if I had another viewpoint.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I don't have any advice to offer, but wanted to stop in and say CONGRATS on the new home.

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the welcoming congrats...The house faces a small apple orchard and field grass. In fact, my vegetable garden is in the front yard as awkward as that may sound, it fit well behind the apple trees.

Here's the view from the street today, although I'm not a winter person in any form, I do love that big oak tree year round. The house wasn't the reason I purchased the place, I used to live on a city lot, I wanted space - now it's time for some updating/exterior interest!

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

i am voting for your new siding to be ......yellow!

i just used a dark green, called lakeshore fern....with a black roof. although my house has lots of white trim, it still looks more somber than i would have liked. (the bright door--color still to be decided-- will help.)

yellow is so cheerful, goes with your brown roof, and will welcome an interesting color for its front door.

good luck!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Many colors would go with that roof. You must have some idea of colors that you like and colors you hate.

I like the yellow, maybe you could get a much lighter yellow. Doesn't it depend on the colors the siding comes in?

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

elleninmaine...I happen to be really fond of your front door color as is, in fact I can't imagine a color I prefer more, great house!

I haven't talked to a contractor yet, so yes it will depend on what siding is available. First, I'm trying to get an idea of the best options. I don't like pastel colored siding, whether it's greens, blues or yellows. I'd like something medium toned, fresh & updated. For example, a sage sided house with a plum colored front door, but with a tan roof??

Since the land is so natural, I'd like the house to be as well, but veer away from drab.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2139226}}

• User
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! The setting is lovely and you have already made major strides with the property.

Although I like yellow as a general rule, it is hard to maintain and for much of the year looks out of place in your area of the country. I would either use a sage or other medium green, which would look nice with more substantial white molding should you add it, and will complement your existing tan roof. Alternatively, I would use white siding and either black or dark green accents, and when it is time to change the roof go with either a charcoal or dark green for the replacement shingle color. Either of these color schemes would also be lovely with a porch addition in the future.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with kswl in using a sage or other medium grey-green. Anything in that family should complement your existing roof. I'd wait until you decide on the siding color before picking out a door color, but I think you know that already. And a door can be re-painted easily if you change your mind. I do love the crisp white trim on the house.

Congratulations on your new home and it's beautiful setting. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found an example, it's not quite right. Perhaps the siding is too green & should be more grey?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2139227}}

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More views of house...snowed a little. I'd like to side over the door that leads to the garage & put a different window in place of the octagonal one.

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First view of house from driveway...yes, that's a boarded up window - after the fact fireplace install where window was, will side over the top. There's a lot of open space, no wonder they put up a basketball hoop, I'd like to come up with a unique idea.

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now this is one of the most beautiful homes I've ever seen. Although it's sage, it doesn't look quite like mine in terms of architecture, OK not even close, but I think the front entry porch would look nice on my house, no railings.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2139230}}

• User
    9 years ago

The color of green in your last post iis PERFECT for your house. Perfect!

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

Your house is beautiful! That last pic you posted is so gorgeous!! Go for it! I love the colors!

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I like the sage as well, but might go with a warmer red on the door.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Welcome and congrats on the new house. I am liking the sage colors posted. Are you aiming for a lighter color or darker?

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

Look at SW6165 Connected Gray. I have that as the trim color on my house and it's a great not too dark gray green.

You have a beautiful home and property!

• Heidi-DIYer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd say I'm aiming for medium toned, keeps the asian beetles off the house (they're attracted to light colored houses) & should look good with the roof. To the other poster, tannatonk, SW6165 Connected Gray is nice! Check out this colonial, similar roof too:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2139231}}