Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellya1010

Please help with my living room!!

kellya1010
9 years ago

I am having the absolute worst time ever trying to find something to hang on either side of my tv in our living room. I spend hours searching on the internet and have no idea! Most of the hgtv show have built ins around their tv so I am just clueless. I was thinking maybe one of those huge clocks or 4 picture frames (two on top of two) but I just am not sure. We have touches of light blue throughout so anything like that is good. Please help because I am going crazy. I have attached a picture but please ignore the toys we have everywhere from our 2 year old : )

Comments (30)

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other views

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other side

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can you post pics from all angles of the room? that would be helpful.

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

opposite wall of the tv behind the couch

• teacats
    9 years ago

Create a family gallery -- take lots of family photos -- make them into black and white -- then add larger mats and brown frames -- also add a few dark brown wall shelves (to lean larger photos and be able to change them out) .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn -- oversized mat and frames

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pics of the other two walls would be helpful as well, the window wall and the one opposite it.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Just stopping in to say that I feel your frustration!

We have a rather large, empty wall surrounding our tv as well. But you're ahead of the game, you have a dark color on the wall so your tv doesn't stand out so much :-) I'm hoping we can re-do our LR within the next year and I plan to also go with a dark color on the wall, right now it's a pale color and the tv totally stands out.

Family galleries are such a neat idea...but the few times I've tried that my kids break one or more of the glass in the frames. Thanks boys. So that's my only issue with something like that...young kids who throw stuff (and have bad aim). I do think a gallery would look great though!

What about very tall shelves to flank the sides, it does look like you have room. I'm hoping to have something like that when we re-do the space.

Looking forward to seeing what other's suggest for your space...I do like the wall color a lot!

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks great ideas! I'm afraid the tall shelves might look funny next to the entertainment center but maybe not. Maybe I should look into that. I'm sad to say we have a very old dog but when he goes i'll probably put a chair with an ottoman in place of the dogbed so i'm not sure if I want a shelf there.
    By the way I think the color of these walls are called smokehouse.
    Teacats, thats a good idea with the pictures and shelves. Would you put shelves on both sides? I'll add the rest of the room pictures too. . I have so much I need to put on all my walls but this living room is killing me.

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

side with window

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd actually re-arrange the furniture altogether. I'm not sure about surrounding a TV with galleries as it makes that wall so busy, cluttered, not good for watching TV.

Rather, I'd turn the sofa so that it's facing the window and put the TV on an articulating arm on the wall to the right of the window (facing the window).

Sideboard by the front door, I'd put that on the long wall, with the mirror

I'd then put that beautiful console on which you have the TV now behind the sofa, facing into the kitchen area, and put a lamp and other knick-knacks on it.

Single chair to the left of the sofa at an angle facing the TV, sort of where the sofa is now. Maybe consider getting a second single chair and a small table and place both straight, next to each other with the table between them, facing the long wall.

I'd put the beautiful sideboard and mirror on the long wall, where you have the TV now, and that would be much easier to decorate the wall around, I think.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think think the problem is you have staggered lines under the tv. You have a taller piece and two shorter ones on either side. Maybe you could move your entry table over to that wall or remove the two shorter tables. Then I'd mount the tv on the wall.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

We had a similar issue and we chose to flank the walls with floating shelves.

This post was edited by Mmmbeeer on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 21:46

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All great ideas! Thanks for the photo of your living room. I'm very visual so that really helps. The shelves look good.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How about a torchiere lamp on one side...I don't see a lot of lamps in the room and the soft uplight is nice for tv viewing. Then you can put some art on the other side.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No shelves, but something with dimension. Maybe large enough wall plaque candle sconces or dimensional art plaques.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I have an easy solution that most people don't even think about.

Put matching plants (a bit tallish) on either side of the TV. Above the TV, hang a rectangle picture but not too deep.

I did this with my TV and I love it. I don't feel the need to hang things on the wall because there aren't any shelves immediately next to the TV.

The hard part would be figuring out which plants to use.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a great example from Pottery Barn -- lots of large photos in larger matted frames around a similar TV set-up ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- Decorate Media

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please keep the ideas coming all this help is wonderful!!! I have so much more internet research to do now lol which is a good thing.

beverly27 i like some of those sconces that you showed... what site did those come from? i like the bulkyness to some of them and i'm having trouble finding heavy looking ones like that. i saw the panels are peir 1 but didnt see the sconces.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Sorry I simply googled iron candle sconces and these came up. You're right, you would need to select scones large in scale to complement your existing furnishings.

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh thank you.. i found them. i didn't google "iron" that made the difference

• Miz_M
    9 years ago

My TV isn't on as large a wall, but I found a couple of small oils paintings for each side ...... Pic 1:

• Miz_M
    9 years ago

Straight-on ....

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Yes, I would also prefer hanging family classic photographs over the walls. This create a feeling of togetherness and whenever you feel nostalgic you always can revisit those memories.

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I agree I am thining about some family photos for sure and inplementing some of the other suggestions from above as well. It is such a hard decision. I'm searching and searching for stuff it's exhausting and looks like it's expensive yikes! But I don't care I have to get something on these walls before I go crazy!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I am going to be the "odd" one here.....I would not put anything on the wall. I would however, put a plant, statue, nick-nack, etc. on each side on top of the littlest part of your tv stand. You have a 2 year old so keeping "unbreakables" out of little hands is important...sometimes even colorful toys can look decorative.

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

We'd struggled with the same issue...
    I didn't want artwork next to the TV and ended up with small decorative mirrors.

• colleenmay13
    9 years ago

You can improve the lighting for your living room by using different kinds of LED light to illuminate your living room and create an inviting atmosphere.

Here is a link that might be useful: cfl track lighting bulbs

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

In the front wall the photos of the family members can also be installed so that every time you see TV you can also watch how your kids grew up. The above light fixture seems to be very bright and will keep eyes relaxed.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I hung some "words" next to my TV at Christmas time: descending letters that spelled PEACE, NOEL and were made of antiqued metal. They looked so pretty and now it looks so bare to me. I too have been looking for some sconces to hang on either side to somehow make my glaringly modern looking TV fit into a very traditional home.

• kellya1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been visiting local stores trynging to find things everyone has mentioned. I like the led light idea too. I'm trying to decide on pictures or sconces or both. i'm still very open. i just hate to spend a few hundred dollars and be bored with it later or find something better once i'm not looking so this is still haunting me