Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diybluemom

Someone pick a paint color for me!

diybluemom
10 years ago

I've lurked for awhile and finally decided to post! I'm building my home bar myself and dreamed of black cabinets to go with my charcoal gray wood grain tile, however I changed my mind at the last minute and tried to lighten the area up with a lighter gray instead however the color I painted them is looking very blue-gray to me. The whole basement is accented with taupe browns, dark browns, and warm red mahogany oak color - hence the brown tile mosaic. The counter tops are a warm wood with a high gloss on that match the rest of the trim.

I apologize for the rough picture, my phone is so much quicker to get a photo from! Any opinions are MUCH appreciated - I have been staring at it for so long, I'm loosing all inspiration.

Comments (10)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

For which item are you asking for help? The walls? If not, the cabinets? And if you are asking about the cabinets, are the walls going to stay gold/mustard?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

It all looks real nice! What exactly are you wanting to change? I would hang some art on the wall and call it a day.

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

I love all things blue, but this looks like a "miss" with the wood and tile. Sorry, I only have an opinion, but have no solution(s)!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

How about painting the cabs the lightest shade in your glass tile...looks like a taupe-y gray.

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    10 years ago

Did you say you are building this yourself? I agree you might want to choose a different cabinet/wall color, but wow - congrats on an amazing job! It's going to be great.

• diybluemom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear! Yes I do want to repaint the cabinets/bookshelves. The picture really is horrible though because the wall color is actually a medium beige, there isn't really any gold in it (Behr Harvest Brown). My problem with going brown in the cabinets is the tile floor is a dark charcoal grey wood grain tile, do you think taupe would go well with that? Originally we planned on grays and blacks mixed with the warm red oak, but my husband went and threw a dark chocolate couch my way so I've been trying to blend it all together.

Yes I did build it myself, my husband attached the bar wall to the concrete/tile (and did the heavy carrying into the basement!), but other than that I built and installed the rest. I'm thinking about opting out of installing the sink myself though, that one is a little above my DIY reach!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I think I would paint the grey part a medium beige or medium brown to go with your tile. And I would paint the front of your bar the same as the rest not two colors.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

If your floor tile is dark charcoal grey, then I definitely would stay in the grey tone for the cabinets/bookshelves. They look grey in your photo, but if they are looking too blue-grey, then they should be toned down to somethiing that will coordinate with chocolate. Nothing wrong with a grey-chocolate combo, but you need to get the colors right. I think the red mahogany (which is the bar inset color - ?) may be throwing things off. Can it be re-painted?

Congrats on the nice work. I wouldn't pick out a new wall paint (if any) until you decide on the cab color.

• diybluemom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with the red mahogany inset, I do think maybe it's pulling more blue in the cabinet. It actually turned out realllllly red - we have red mahogany oak throughout our basement so I wanted the bar to look like it "belonged" in the basement, but I think the bar wood took the stain so differently because it's oak veneer. My husband suggested sanding it down and adding a little brown based stain to it to tone the red out to match the trim and doors better. Thanks everyone for your input, I'm really loosing my mind with this one!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Rich black in a satin finish (would balance out the visual weight of the dark mahogany AND the dark gray floor) .... add a long thin artwork (or even a blackboard) in a black frame OR a frameless artwork that has lots of black in it on the wall behind the bar .....