Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Transitioning Color Dilemma

Zoe52
9 years ago

I can't seem to find an earlier discussion I had with several of you on my Carrara Master Bath in here. We discussed using BM Violet Pearl with an accent on my barrel ceiling of Vintage Charm. And I really really want to use those colors in there if I can.

Here is my dilemma.

I have a long hall that separates my master bath and bedroom with walk-in closets on either side. There is a pocket door between my bath and the hall, but no door at the end. I assume our pocket door will be open most of the time into the bathroom bc we have a separate room for our toilet with a door.

The bedroom linens and fabrics I picked out for my bedroom has blue tones that are more in line with BM Wedgewood Grey. So I am planning on painting our bedroom walls and ceiling with this and we will have our trim in both rooms painted BM Simply White.

I am trying to figure out if I should just end the Violet Pearl in our master bathroom or extend it into our closets and down the hall to end at our master bath.
I know the colors are semi-compatible but I don't want to have the spaces look bad. I really don't have that good an eye for paint. But had another decorator pick the Wedgewood Gray based on our fabric. She wanted me to carry the Wedgewood Gray into our Master bath but I really would prefer a different color in there with the marble.

Everyone has been so helpful in here I thought I would run it by you all again. THANKS!

BM Wedgewood Blue

Comments (26)

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BM Violet Pearl

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't know how to post them both next to each other.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

If I understand your floor plan, I would choose to carry the blue down the hall since that is always visible from the bedroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's hard to say w/o pics, but I'd do the hall in a deep chocolate brown to act as a transitioning color, kind of like sorbet to cleanse your palette. And chocolate brown would be beautiful at both ends, with the Wedgwood Gray and the Violet Pearl.

Maybe BM Van Buren Brown

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or a bit cooler, BM Tucker Chocolate. But some nice paintings in gold frames up in the hallway,â¦lovely transition.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Like this:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like my closets white so they don't cast color onto the color of the clothing I'm selecting...so you may want to do the hall and closets in the simply white in a flat paint. If you have molding, it will stand out anyway as, I'm presuming, the finish on the trim is shinier.

If there is a natural break between the closets and the hall, then you could continue the wedgewood into the hall. I'd keep the bath color in the bath only.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 21:21

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Annie, I think you hit my dilemma right on the head. I didn't really want to paint my closets in the Wedgewood Grey as the other designer suggested. I was thinking of doing them in the Violet Pearl for that reason because it was lighter. Thus why I was thinking of running the violet up the halls, too. But you are right about just using white in the closets. I try to will find some nice rugs instead.

So I will paint the closets white and the walls in the hall Wedgewood Grey. Although the chocolate looks lush in that hall, picture, Tibbrix, I think it will be too dark in there to do that since there is no natural light in there. But only in one closet that is on the outer wall.

Ok now I gotta figure out what color to paint my half bath and I will be done.

Will be using faux paint in there with a brassy colored bronze crystal chandelier with almond toilet and pedestal sink and nickle faucets. It is just off our main entry hall which will be decorated in a traditional style.

My Entry Hall will be in BM Everlasting on both ceiling and walls. (the Ceiling there is roughly 20 feet up) We will have a Crystorama Regis 18 light candelabra in there with a bronze ceiling medalion. The formal dining room will be done in BM Spice Gold to match an Oriental Rug and it will have a matching chandelier but the 12 light one instead. Our dining chairs are covered in an off-white fabric.

So what color would you do the half bath in?? I am trying to keep it fairly traditional.

Here is our chandelier. But I am not sure if I am posting a picture of the 18 light candelabra for the entry hall or the 12 light for the Room.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is BM Everlasting for hall walls

This post was edited by zoe52 on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 22:15

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is BM Spice Gold we are putting in the Dining room that is next to the half bath.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The colors above are very pretty. I'm not sure you want to ask me though as I go wild in small spaces... my powder room is Hermes orange and right next door, the mud room is heather shade of purple....I like PRs to be dramatic...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie, re: the half bath. "Go wild". The deeper the color of a half bath, the more elegant that bathroom is. Is there a window in the bathroom? If not, even better as people will turn the light on anyway when using it.

BM Dark Purple

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No window in the half bath. I have always been a wimp when it comes to bold colors. Any other color suggestions besides purple? I know that the Everlasting is pretty neutral. And FWI that bathroom is pretty tiny. Just enough room for a 22" pedestal sink and a toilet on the back wall.

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 12:51

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's just paint, and for a small powder room, you need only a quart. You've got some sophistication going on there. A bold color would not darken the powder room at all but would make it elegant and sophisticated.

How about that Tucker chocolate with some splashes of turquoise in the decor, or a gold-framed print on the wall.

I've got Lenox Tan in my LR and B Whitall Brown in the half bath that is in the LR. I LOVE it, and I get a ton of compliments.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love dramatic powder baths. That dark purple is wonderful and so are the two browns Tibbrix posted upthread. My PB is black with a faux painted design to look like wallpaper while all the other walls in my house are light.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And that Dark Purple is amazing with the Spiced Gold!

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I will be brave. :) I will mull it over. The dark chocolate appeals to me more, though, right now. I need to speak with the faux painter soon so I can finalize my paint decisions.

I am getting major choice fatique from this build for sure. I keep agonizing over my choices and keep laying them out on my computer with pictures of my rugs that are currently in storage, or pictures of granite on line bc I have no samples. So many choices to make.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, it will be gorgeous! Get that Tucker brown in there with a creamy white trim and a mini crystal chandelier, say, and a nice gold-framed painting or poster or whateverâ¦give the brown definition by giving it trim and artwork, etc., to work its way around. You won't be sorry! Put a small Persian rug downâ¦

Not this ornate, but this is the FEEL I envision for your PR, taking into account your large chant and the DR colors. However, with dark colored walls, you definitely want lights up on the ceiling and casting light downward. Like I said, I have a chocolate brown PR, and it isn't dark at all when you're in there with the light on and the door closed. All it is is..wonderful! Lol.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here you go:

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah nice, Tibbrix! I already have an inherited bronzey gold chandelier that I will be hanging in there with clear crystal.

I have no cabinets in there at all... so will be looking for a very small furniture type one to store some linens and cleaning supplies in the corner near the entrance. Now if I can find just the right ornate gold and wood sans Louis XIVth style that would be perfect!

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK One more question. If I do the dark color in that bathroom, do you paint the ceiling the same color or leave it white? There will be white trim in there. And the ceilings are 9 feet.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Which white on the trim?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would leave the ceiling white.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have specified BM Simply White for all the trim in the home. But my builder may have another color he uses to make everything pop according to his wife.

I also could do a metallic ceiling in gold in faux paint with the darker paint on the walls.

We are looking to do some faux paint texture in there with the darker color... but have no idea how that would look or if they can even do the colors mentioned above.

I am waiting to hear back from the Faux Painter.

In the meantime, I just turned in my final colors for the home.

BM Wedgewood Blue (Master BR/Laundry Room/Guest Bathroom)

BM Rhone River (Great Room/Kitchen/ Wet Bar and Sitting Room)

BM Everlasting (Hallways, LR, Bonus Room, Upstairs Bedrooms, Garage, and Pantry) Until I figure out some of those areas later on.

BM Spice Gold (DR)

BM Vintage Charm (Master Bath Barrel Ceiling)

BM Violet Pearl (Master Bath Walls and Main Ceiling)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wonderful. I hope you'll follow up with pics.

I think a gold metallic ceiling would be WONDERFUL. The ceiling in my chocolate brown powder room is actually knotty pine, and the brown is gorgeous with it, and the ceiling makes the chocolate brown look almost like leather. They are so beautiful together. But if I had painted the ceiling, it would have been white. But just as the wood works SO well with the chocolate brown, so would a metallic-look ceiling. I thnk it's a wonderful idea and with that chandyâ¦.hotel-worthy PR, you'll have, I think.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I used soft fern (pale green) on the ceiling in my orange PR.

However, I suggest you go to houzz.com and search on "dramatic" in powder rooms and maybe find some inspiration. Or look to art work or even decorated towels to help you choose a color. You need an inspiration first.

My PR was inspired by Hunt's Lady of Shallot which hangs happily in there.
    {{gwi:2139173}}