Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

"Serene" bedrooms--yawn

violetwest
9 years ago

Must a master bedroom be "serene?" A "retreat?" It seems like most of the bedroom decor I see is so bland as to be completely devoid of personality. Neutral color schemes, nothing but "magazine-approved" matchy decor, undistinguished art, blah. Makes me yawn, but not in a drowsy way.

I spend a lot of time in my bedroom. I want it to be lively (and why don't we want our bedrooms to be "lively" instead of serene, eh?) and make me happy when I hang out in it. I want fun and bright -- not stab-you-in-the-eye bright, but something to delight the eye and reflect the personalities of the sleeper(s).

Do people really need blandness in the bedroom to fall asleep?

(Note that I don't have any sleep problems, which many people suffer from.)

Comments (57)

• graywings123
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I want serenity in the bedroom. I would love to have either of the two rooms posted immediately above.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I think it should suit the person/people and how it's used.

We rarely spend time in ours during the day. When I head up at night I like going to a room that's quiet (in tone) and orderly. I have nice sheets/duvet/lofty down comforter, books, a good light for reading and a TV behind doors in an armoire so I can choose to see it, or not. I just added some bedside rugs for comfort.

That's essentially what I like and want, save for wall art, which I still need. I don't want to look around and see any clutter or collections that call to be dusted.

That suits me, but I totally get how bland a space it would be in someone else's eyes, especially if they spend significantly more time in their MBR.

Seems I'm seeing lots more colorful bedrooms in magazines lately. Perhaps a backlash from several years when they seemed to push "spa retreats" in pale blue/green.

Something I noted recently in House & Home magazine - They refer to the MBR as the Principal BR. I don't know if it's a H&H term or if it's a typical Canadian term. I like it better than Master BR.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Okay, Linen, my turn: your bedroom is anything but bland. It's absolutely gorgeous and even perfect. It looks like a room in a very quaint, rustin inn, and I would be thrilled to walk into a room like that to find it's where I'd be sleeping the next few nights!

It's stunning.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Okay, Linen, my turn: your bedroom is anything but bland. It's absolutely gorgeous and even perfect. It looks like a room in a very quaint, rustin inn, and I would be thrilled to walk into a room like that to find it's where I'd be sleeping the next few nights!

It's stunning.

• cozyfarmhouse
    9 years ago

I'm a very quiet reserved person, so serene *does* reflect my personality and delight my eye. I use the same soft palette throughout the main level of my home because I don't like jarring visual changes. I also prefer very little pattern.

I don't think soft color and minimal décor do much to enhance my sleep though. Would be nice if they did.

(My palette)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't mind pale or monochromatic bedrooms, but "spa retreat", tends to skew impersonal. Spa and Hotel décor is supposed to be luxurious at the higher end but it is also mostly meant to be "inoffensive" to large segments of people--so they *intentionally* lack too much personality. However, people copy this at home and end up creating their own rooms that lack too much personality.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I love your bedroom Lynn, serene and personalized at the same time.

And I adore the two that were posted, funny how we perceive things differently !!

I tend to decorate bedrooms as high end hotel rooms so that must be why I love them.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I don't need my bedroom to be serene (or spa-like). I too think those two bedrooms you posted are blah. That said, my bedroom was all off-white with mid-toned wood furniture for a period in the nineties (influence of a single picture in a magazine). I liked it well enough at the time - found some interesting artwork that worked. I did tire of it after while though and started bringing in color. Navy blue, bright yellow, pale greens.

The color or mood of a bedroom doesn't seem to affect my sleep one way or the other.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I certainly think you can go either way....whatever suits your personality. I've had both soft and strong colors throughout the years.

I made a huge mistake in our latest redo by pairing bold drapes with pale walls and furniture. It is just too jarring. It's a lot easier to change the drapes than repaint so I am shifting to a "serene" palette this go round.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Serenity doesn't equal boring IMO, but if that's the case, I have to admit i'm a total bore! I've actually never had a colorful MB. From as far back as I can remember, walls have always been ivory/ cream or a light tan. Bedding has always been light, but back in the 90's I did go out of my comfort zone and purchase a light gold/eggplant floral duvet cover which I still have~it reverses to the light gold/tobacco color leopard print. I've used it off/on in various guest rooms. I still never consideed it a colorful room since it wasn't bright,, but subdued , yet w/o being boring. I guess boring, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very interesting responses and perspectives; thank you.

I'm all about the zen in most things -- give me peace, quiet, solitude, birds singing, waves crashing.

But yeah -- I guess I like my personal surroundings to be colorful.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Same as graywings - I'd love to have a bedroom that looks like a hotel room every day! (I don't "hang out" in my bedroom either --- hanging out is done in the living room)

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

Another answer, same as graywings--I love both bedrooms. I enjoy monochromatic schemes, especially when they are uncluttered.

I guess I've had just about every permutation in all my homes--colorful, feminine, masculine, monochromatic, eclectic, modern, themed, and even cartoon inspired. It's hard to imagine liking only "one" kind of room, taste, style etc.

• Vith
    9 years ago

Earth colors make me comfortable and are pleasing to many. I personally like warmth and consider blue to be too cool of a color. I do enjoy purple and green though. My wife's favorite color is purple.

My house is full of nature and earth colors. Ill take you on a tour through the many emotions available:
    brown main floor living room (friendly & inviting),
    red kitchen with white cabinets (passionate and love mixed with goodness and purity or you could call it valentine-like lol),
    sage green basement den (soothing nature),
    cowboy hat tan/brown main bedroom (dependable)
    milk chocolate guest bedroom (friendly)
    yellow tuscan theme bathroom (warmth).
    white with purple accent bedroom (spiritual & pure),
    white with purple accent bathroom (spiritual & pure),

This post was edited by Vith on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 20:07

• pps7
    9 years ago

My bedroom turned out very monochromatic- very similar to the second example. However the artwork and decor are very personalized. And even though it's monochromatic, it's about layering of different textures. I like it. I used to have very colorful bedding but it faded easily so I went with white this time.

{{gwi:2139125}}
    {{gwi:2139126}}

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here I'm contemplating orange walls and a bright floral wall-sized graphic, LOL! And bright chindi rugs as a headboard. Saw it on Pinterest, yup I did.

Not for everyone. And maybe I'm not that brave. But it's a small room and I live alone, so why not, if it tickles my fancy?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Absolutely no reason why not, Violet.

Go for it!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Be brave, Violet! You can repaint if you don't love it, but I'm betting you will.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like a serene bedroom, but if it's not for you, then go for it and add color and pattern and anything else that makes you happy. It's your room, your option.

[{{gwi:2139127}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/betsy-burnham-eclectic-bedroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~117638)

[Eclectic Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2104) by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators Burnham Design

[{{gwi:2139128}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/port-bristol-custom-traditional-bedroom-orange-county-phvw-vp~986585)

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Newport Beach General Contractors Patterson Custom Homes

[{{gwi:2139129}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/40th-street-traditional-bedroom-phvw-vp~413834)

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Shallotte Home Builders Blue Sky Building Company

[{{gwi:2139130}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-contemporary-bedroom-phvw-vp~16621964)

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/calming-green-master-bedroom-contemporary-bedroom-portland-phvw-vp~74260)

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Ragan Corliss

[{{gwi:2139131}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/inner-city-apartment-contemporary-bedroom-sydney-phvw-vp~18967114)

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Sydney Interior Designers & Decorators Nest Designs

[{{gwi:2139132}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bedroom-eclectic-bedroom-melbourne-phvw-vp~12008052)

[Eclectic Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2104) by Melbourne Interior Designers & Decorators Space Grace & Style

[{{gwi:2139133}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/fenwick-island-iii-beach-style-bedroom-philadelphia-phvw-vp~7564351)

[Beach Style Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2110) by Rehoboth Beach Home Builders Echelon Custom Homes

[{{gwi:2139134}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/hgtv-smart-home-2013-tropical-bedroom-jacksonville-phvw-vp~6453914)

[Tropical Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2108) by Jacksonville Home Builders Glenn Layton Homes

• lkplatow
    9 years ago

Go for it Violet. My bedroom is painted Sherwin-Williams Springtime -- it's a bright apple yellow-green. I was going for a Susan Sargent kind of thing (google her if you aren't familiar with her work and you love color!) so I ended up using a sort of persimmon orange coverlet and the Dena Home Kalani quilt (pictured below in a stock photo -- I do not have the coordinating pillows, shams, and dust ruffle as that is a bit much even for me!) as the bedding. The artwork consists of a really weird quirky original painting I found at a yard sale and some framed pieces of my kids art that match the colors and exuberance of the bedding. It's the furthest thing from serene, but it makes me happy every time I walk in there. My husband wasn't thrilled when I brought the quilt home (it's a bit "flowery") but it has grown on him. Your bedroom needs to make you happy so do what you like!

My quilt but not my bedroom:
    {{gwi:2139135}}

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ha, I'm mostly kidding about the wall decal and orange walls; I actually like a mix of neutrals and color. But of course, I will do something which I hope will please me; I'm not shy about being different. and Annie, you're a doll for posting all those photos.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Violet,I love the bland, monochromatic bedrooms you posted. I also like most of the ones Annie posted, but would not choose them for every day; more vacationhome to me.

I think for me I am a total convert to a big white fluffy bed, I don't want anything that can't be washed often on my bed. Its' like the Sanitary Movement in bathrooms. So it starts there. As long as the bed it almost all white, I can go with anything else.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

white linen sheets on my bed. a must!

funny, I'm the opposite -- the "bland" bedroom pics would appeal to me as a hotel room or vacation spot, and the colorful ones would be for every day.

still, I look at all these bedroom pics and think, "where do these people keep their bedside reading? Their tissues? Their glasses?"

old gal problems, I guess

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

amck: Something I noted recently in House & Home magazine - They refer to the MBR as the Principal BR. I don't know if it's a H&H term or if it's a typical Canadian term. I like it better than Master BR.

It's more a H&H terrm. Most Canadians call it the master bedroom.

I like both Lynne's room and the "boring" ones that Violet posted. And way nicer than any swanky hotel I've ever seen. I think what they all have in common is that while the colour scheme is light, there are architectural interest in the spaces. If you slapped that same furniture, paint, and bedding in a typical suburban tract house with beige carpet, a single window on one side, and not even a stitch of crown molding to add character, then yes, it would be a very boring room.

I have that boring suburban tract home (with hardwood in the bedroom instead of beige carpet). I went with a grey in the bedroom because I want to relax in there, not get pumped (although given my morning issues, I should probably reconsider that.) But I mix up the colours in my bedding. It's a lot easier than painting every few months. :)

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

Mtnrdredux said:
    "Violet,I love the bland, monochromatic bedrooms you posted. I also like most of the ones Annie posted, but would not choose them for every day; more vacationhome to me.
    I think for me I am a total convert to a big white fluffy bed, I don't want anything that can't be washed often on my bed. Its' like the Sanitary Movement in bathrooms. So it starts there. As long as the bed it almost all white, I can go with anything else."

I feel the same way! I love our colorful Caribbean bedrooms on vacation but for home, we have an all white bed and I love how fresh, bright, and clean it looks. As well as the emphasis on texture and that is what keeps it interesting to me.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

texture and natural materials can add depth to the room, I think

• zeebee
    9 years ago

The "serene" bedrooms pictured are very nice. I love the neutral palette in a hotel or B&B because it feels soothing and when I'm traveling, I want my hotel room to be a sanctuary to retreat to after exploring new places

But at home, I spend very little time in the BR beyond sleeping and getting dressed, so I'm happy with an upbeat, happy color to go with the rest of the rich colors in our house. Our master BR is Bermuda Blue, shown in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2139119}}

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Again I agree with SJ. :) Also graywings. I love the second "bland" one Violet posted.

Here's the thing, I don't get to many hotels and spas, but if they look as nice as that bedroom, I'm missing something. I love serene, esp. in my bedroom, a place where I do not hang out other than sometimes to read a book in the early morning because I have good eastern light in there.

I think all the colorful examples that Annie posted are very cool. They make me smile. I just wouldn't put that much effort into my bedroom. I think that's my problem. My bedroom is where I sleep and get dressed.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I like those bright, colorful bedrooms that Annie posted for us. All except the one with blue walls, that is. Pretty. Happy. Definitely NOT boring. But definitely not serene either. I can see why some people would gravitate towards that type of bold bedroom. Just not me. Thanks, Annie!
    Lynn

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, I must spend 50% of my waking hours in my bedroom, with the other 25% in my main living area and 25% outside or on my screen porch--which is off the bedroom.

I've come to understand I'm really an outlier here on GW.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I'm with you Violet. We are empty nesters and the only time we use the living room is when we have guests. We rarely use the dining room either. We watch TV, eat, sleep and just about everything else in the bedroom.

I think the (boring hotel) rooms you posted are very nice but I would need a little bit more oomph. Maybe a colorful throw, pillows and art. I like rooms that look lived in. Slightly bohemian.

Here's a pic of my bedroom. I'm thinking about painting the walls a light grey, refinishing the floor to something much lighter and adding black curtains.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like your room, MagdalenaLee. I sure wish I had that space in mine!

• peegee
    9 years ago

I remember how much I loved my master bedroom in the 70's, (which I had done in deep rich vibrant colors) - right up until my early 90's total redo blotting it all out with white damask paper, which at the time was really lovely. Also a white cutwork duvet on a smaller delicate mahogany bed replaced a heavy, chunky king-sized water bed with a deep color solid comforter. And finally the solid jewel-tone carpet over the gleaming hardwood was removed. The day it was redone, I walked in and immediately felt an unexpectedly strong visceral sense of relief; I had loved those deep colors all those years, but I'll never forget the physiological impact, like releasing a long slow breath of tension, the change had on my body. I've been trying be more mindful of the effects on me of my home surroundings ever since, and to make choices based on my goals. For me, my bedroom needs to be serene, but most certainly not ever boring to me. Serenity does not mean devoid of color, btw. I will likely not ever choose mostly whites in a room again, but I needed to then.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, based on what Violet and MagdalenaLee have said, I think there's a lot more that factors into this than color or design choices that elicit a serene/boring response. My bedroom is small and dominated by the bed. It's true I have room for a small chair and ottoman and occasionally will read there to take advantage of the great natural light. But it's not big enough for extensive hanging out. I might have coffee there, but wouldn't dream of having a meal in my bedroom. Those of you with larger bedrooms that have nice sitting areas have an entirely different setup. If it was such a great place to hang out and spend *waking* time, I can understand how you wouldn't necessarily want it serene/boring or even spa-like. It's just that if I'm going to hang out, eat, watch TV, exist in my house while awake, I prefer to do so in another part of my house.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But my bedroom is tiny -- 14 x 12 I think. I have a king-sized bed, a tv shelf, and just enough room for a small table, chair, and footstool. It's my cozy corner. I also spend a lot of time in bed reading, with the tv on. just lazy I guess!

I want to reiterate my original point -- I don't like rooms that are bland and lacking in personality (as filtered through my own personality--of course!), and am puzzled by the emphasis on luxurious retreat bedrooms that no one spends time in. I guess it's the "does your house look like a magazine" conundrum again.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 12:06

• 66and76
    9 years ago

I like tailored bedrooms with very little clutter. Artwork, rugs, and textiles add depth and color for me. Bedrooms that are monochromatic bother me, but work in houses that are more contemporary than mine.

• 66and76
    9 years ago

I also like wallpaper in subtle patterns.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Violet, our bedrooms are the exact same size. I just measured because I didn't think it was actually that big. Queen size bed, two long dressers, two bedside tables, chair, ottoman. TV perched on a dresser, tres chic. :)

I'm only in or on my bed if I'm sleeping or sick. No reading, no iPad. If I'm awake and able bed is not where I want to be. Might go back to my mom rousting me on the weekends. I had to be up and outside playing.

Anyway, we just use our bedrooms differently and that's fine.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, absolutely fine, I agree! To each his or her own, of course!

• selcier
    9 years ago

Our bedroom is a deep golden green. Its certainly not a neutral color but I find that it is deep enough that it just fades into the background at night. And in the morning, it is just peppy enough to get me out of bed in a great mood. The entire time we were painting, my mother in law kept saying "well this is certainly green" over and over. :) The other bedroom is painted an almost-black grey that I find equally as a soothing. Maybe even more so.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We spend almost none of our waking time in our bedroom. On weekdays, we get up and into the bathroom, get dressed in the walk-in closet, and leave for work. When we get home, we're in the LR/DR/Kitchen until we go to bed, where I might watch TV for an hour (or might just go to sleep). On weekends, I get up and into the bathroom, get dressed in the walk-in closet, and move to the LR/DR/Kitchen. DH stays in bed on Sunday mornings reading the NY Times. Once I get back from the gym and he's up, we're either out of the house, or once again, in the LR/DR/Kitchen until bedtime.

MagdalenaLee, I'm really curious - what do you do with those two big chairs in your bedroom? Do you actually sit in them? Both of you at the same time? If I had a chair in the bedroom, the only thing it would be used for is to sit and put on my shoes :-)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan - Well, the dogs love to sleep there! But we use them too. I like to read (the lamp swings all the way to the other direction), we sometimes sit and talk and that's where I put my socks on before climbing into bed. We also sometimes eat dinner on TV trays while watching TV (it swivels) - which is kind of an embarrassing confession!

• lolauren
    9 years ago

DH and I like neutrals, earth-tones and fairly calm rooms. Neither of us like bold colors in our home. To each their own, right? We spend A LOT of time in our bedroom but don't take that the wrong way. :) We sleep at different times half the year, so the room needs to be conducive to sleeping day or night. Even then, if we're not sleeping, it's my favorite room to relax. Personally, I don't find bright colors relaxing...

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Magdalena, it's only embarrassing because it's the bedroom! We sometimes eat in front of the TV, but in the living room.

• nini804
    9 years ago

My master bedroom would probably be considered "bland," decor-wise, but I really, really love that room. I feel happy everytime I walk in there...especially in the morning because the huge windows face east, and the sun through the trees is really glorious. The problem is, because of the way the suite is configured....I am almost NEVER in there until bedtime (unless I am cleaning it.) If you open the door into the master, you are in a small hall. On the left is the master bath. The "bedroom" is past the master bath through a cased opening. I am in and out of the master bath a lot through the day (the closet is in there) but I don't have any reason to go all the way into the room proper! I even have a pretty sitting area in there, but nope, I'd rather be in the kitchen or family room. Want to be in the middle of the action!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

We eat in our MBR 5 days a week . . . breakfast, that is (lol). DH likes to start his office hours early for his patients who'd like to get in before they head to work. So, every morning, M-F, for the past 32 years of our marriage we get up at 5:15. I make us a hot breakfast (and pack him a lunch) and bring it back on trays so that we can eat together and chat a bit while he finishes getting ready.
    Some mornings after DH leaves for his clinic, I sit on our bed and fold clothes while I watch GMA, as we have a tv in our armoire. I also sit in there and iron, as I love the view of our mountain out the window wall one way, and of my little walled-in garden the other.
    I've always loved to decorate and it's been my own personal philosophy that every room in my home should be as comfortable and welcoming as I can
    possibly make it. And every one of them is . . . to us, at least.
    Lynn

This post was edited by LynninNM on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 11:33

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Pinkpaula, I love your bedroom!!!

• 66and76
    9 years ago

LynninNM, Thank you. It is very comfortable. I'd love to see a picture of your walled garden and your mountain view. I long for a view. Ten feet from my window is my neighbor's fence. :-(

The OP asked, "Do people really need blandness in the bedroom to fall asleep?" I prefer the atmosphere in a bedroom to be quiet in marked contrast to a hectic outer world. I chose the heavy, velvet drapes because of the lovely texture but also because they block the light completely when closed. I can't sleep with light coming through the drapes.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The title of this thread says it all:

"Serene" bedrooms--yawn.

Yawn. Night all. zzzzzzzzzzzz

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

My preference is something like the Algonquin Hotel in the old days (before the last two redecorations, I suppose): lots of visual interest from the Liberty print fabrics, although the walls were generally a neutral cream. The last time I stayed there - not recently - I had a redecorated room where the fabrics were more muted, not the clear colors that had predominated before, and I didn't like it as much.