Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punamytsike

Front door grill

punamytsike
16 years ago

I asked here couple of months ago little help with my door grill design and now that it is almost installed, I wanted to share :) I finally got most of it installed today

Here how it looked before:

and how it looks now - outside:

and inside:

The window above the door should get installed tomorrow. I was just too excited to wait to share :)

I think it came out pretty nice.

Now, I do have to find stronger hinges for the door, as it came out much heavier than we expected. Work never ends :)

Comments (27)

• maddielee
    16 years ago

Wow! That looks wonderful!

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Love the blue accent glass. Are you going to do some blue pots or any other accents on the outside? I can see some oriental blue or french country blue pots with greenery or flowers...

• skypathway
    16 years ago

punamytsike, I've always admired your incredibly stunning taste and your front door grills are gorgeous.

Did you ever sell your home in Florida, the one with the fabulous blue ceiling master bedroom? Or is this the same gorgeous home? I remember you did some incredible work on that house.

sky

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Punamytsike ~~

When I see your name I know a click on the thread will bring up something stunning. This looks great! I've never seen stained glass in a grill like that before. Nice touch! Yes, it's gorgeous. Looking out the door it seems to tie in with your fountain as well. Now I can't wait to see it with the top in place too.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That's absolutely gorgeous!

• les917
    16 years ago

Very unique, and lovely.

I was wondering if it is too late to add another color of stained glass in the round spot in the center of each grille? I could see a warm amber piece in each one.

• valley57
    16 years ago

The door looks beautiful.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Very very nice and I like the blue accents.

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ladies :)
    skypathway, this is still the same house with the blue master wing. Real Estate has been really slow, so while we are waiting it to pick up to sell the house, I have kept finishing up all the details that were in my head since beginning ;)

The blue in the door ties in nicely with the blue tile in the fountain and in the pool. Also ties in with the blue master wing. That's one reason why I selected the blue accent. I could have done yellow, red or green as well. There were 4 color diamonds available in the Murano glass that fits into the iron design.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I love that ceiling treatment that you did in the coffered ceiling! So gorgeous!

Now for your door grill...perfect! :-)

Cameron

PS Still have a greyhound?

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits, we still have Benny :) He will be 12 years old this year and aside of getting really gray, doing great.

He likes to sneak into my son's room and get on his bed when we forget the door open. Benny used to sleep with DS when he was home, so Benny thinks it is still OK but we really do not want him there anymore ;)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Punamy, I love what you did with the wall in there! The room is gorgeous. This is your son's room? If so how do you make him keep it so clean? Benny is a cutie!

Did you install all the grille work by yourself? I can't wait to see the top done too. :)

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, oceanna :)

My son is currently US Marine, so not at home, else the room would be much messier ;)

The top part will take some time. It was hair too big and the guys tried to get it in but did not succeed. They broke some stucco that needs to be fixed. They will make the outer frame little narrower that should allow perfect installation. So right now I am looking week or two before the top is installed :(

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As promised, here is the door finally done:

• acoreana
    16 years ago

It is absolutely beautiful.

Benny is gorgeous as well!

Nat

• summiebee
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!!!Always get excited ot see pics of what's going on in your home.
    Also, many thanks to your family for having a son serve in the Armed Forces.

• joyceshaw
    16 years ago

Love it. Especially the blue accent. It's gorgeous!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, especially with the sidelights, and above arched window. Is it 8'? It's hard to tell on the monitor as sometimes things get distorted. I'm installing a very similiar door in my new house(still being framed)but the glass/grill are only 3/4 of the door, with two panels on the bottom.

Since I can only see the door, I was wondering what is the style of your home?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Very very lovely!! :)

Yes -- a couple of bright blue flower pots with tall thin bushes would look stunning by your pretty front entrance .....

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! And love the blue accents.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Stunning!

Say hi to Benny for me. Once they get to sleep on the bed, you can never really tear them away from it!

Red

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

As usual, you are just amazing!!
    Thanks, also, to your son.

• maggie3_2006
    16 years ago

If you dont mind me asking, What was the cost to have just the door done? and where do you go to have something like this done, I live in Florida too.
    Maggie

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments :)

patty_cakes, the house is Mediterranean flavor. I added a link to our house sales site, if you want to see more photos.

maggie3_2006, we paid less than 3K for the grill. I consider it a very good price, as this was complete custom job (my design), the materials are hand forged iron from Italy and they had never done something like that before and underestimated the time it took for them. They are small shop that mostly does gates and railings. In Sarasota, we have several companies that do this type of work so I am sure you can find places where you are as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house

• maggie3_2006
    16 years ago

Its BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Our builder calls our house mediterranean but It looks NOTHING compared to yours :(

• skypathway
    16 years ago

punamytsike, Gorgeous as ever, I love everything that you've done - you do it with such grace and style. Oh and let the poor dog sleep in "his" bed, he looks so cute there.

sky

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Sky, I know he is too cute :)

Maggie, if you decide to get a grill, yours should be considerable cheaper ;)

Also anyone thinking of getting something like this done, couple of things to consider - the best would be if you have solid wood door. The iron is very heavy. We also upgraded the hinges to commercial quality ball bearing ones.