Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

custom hallway runner not wide enough?

Suzy
13 years ago

we got a runner made for our curved staircase & upstairs hallway which goes in a T shape. it cost $$$$! but something has been bothering me since we got it a couple of months ago. it looks great on the stairs, but too skinny through the hallway. they left too much floor space on either side of the runner. it bothers me all the time, but it was so damn expensive, i can't have it redone. would you be able to live with this?

Comments (16)

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Unless you wanted to go wall to wall, I don't think you'd want the hallway any wider.

That's a beautiful staircase.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Could I live with this? Most certainly! It's gorgeous.

(And it does look like you spent big bucks on it.)

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Looks perfectly normal to me. I measured the floor area (43") around our extra wide runner (30" wide) and we have 7" of wood showing on either side. Cheaper runners are around 24" wide. We had to pay extra to get the wider runner.

What bothers me about your runner is that it covers up most of your beautiful hardwood floors.;) We have a couple of runners for comfort and aesthetics, but they are a pain to keep clean. I much prefer the hardwood uncovered.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I think it is the right width. And I love the carpeting!

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder:

thanks! i do love our hardwood floors but we really needed the carpeting for acoustics in the house. the kids run up & down the hallway & yell etc.

• vickij
    13 years ago

I think anything wider would look like wall to wall gone wrong. I love it! Hope all of the verification you are receiving here helps to calm your troubled mind.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I think it looks proportionate to how much hardwood you see on the stairs (and that staircase is gorgeous!).

How old are your kids? How long will you have to have the hallway and stair runners down? It'll be like unwrapping a present when you pull the runners up and can take in all the beautiful hardwoods again!

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kids are 6 & 3. so we've got a while. but we have so much hardwood elsewhere. the whole downstairs. upstairs, the playroom has a rug, dd's room has a rug, the guest room has no floor covering, and our bedroom has nothing yet. so lots of wood still to look at. but thanks for all the verification!!

• gillylily
    13 years ago

I LOVE IT and think it looks PERFECT. In fact, we are looking to put a runner on our hardwood floors (Our floors are not nearly as gorgeous as yours) for the same reasons, plus our dog keeps slipping down the stairs. Your rug is exactly what I am looking for b/c it is classy w/o being overbearing. Would you mind telling me the brand/info. about the rug? My children are around the same age but my dog also likes to rest on the stairs to look out the window..

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

It looks perfectly beautiful to me. I think you're just not used to it yet. I've done big projects before that by the time I got them finished I hate them and had the same feelings you are now experiencing. Later I found I loved it. The last such project stayed in our home for over thirteen years. Never did change it. We moved.

• User
    13 years ago

I agree it looks very, very nice. :)

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gilly lilly: it's karastan shantung platinum crepe

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Thanks- do you find that it is wearing well with your kids/traffic?

• nicole__
    13 years ago

WOW! It's gorgeous! Not a problem at all....

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

oh, that looks great. I was expecting to see something terrible. Everyone here is right, if it were larger it wouldn't look right.

Your stairs are just fab.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! And really elegant! :)

Excellent choice and size/width ....!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage