Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

Window treatment for patio door

I have a 10' wide, 7' high patio door in my family room. It's a 4-panel door that slides opens from the center. I'm looking for a window covering that will allow light in while providing a sheer covering for privacy when closed.

I really love the look of HunterDouglas Luminette Privacy Sheers, but the cost is more than I wanted to spend. I'd even be happy with a pair of sheer grommet-top drapes, but I can't find any that are ready-made that are wide enough, and custom-made are about the same price as the Luminettes. I thought about sewing grommet-top panels together to form a wider drape, but that just doesn't seem like it will work.

Can anyone suggest a cost-effective solution that will look great? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have three similar patio doors in my house and used premade curtain panels. Six panels per door with hooks and rings worked well for me. I used the thick rods from Ikea (cut so that the bump is at the center support and doesn't impede the sliding of the rings).

• annzgw
    9 years ago

You could try the curtains in the link below. I've heard good things about them and it appears they come in a combined width of 108". I've also seen them offered in a variety of fabrics so you may want to do a search.

I'm trying to cover a 14' wide area of french+side-doors and am going to look at JCP tomorrow. Don't know if JCP still offers the option but the buyer used to be able to order selected styles of 'on the shelf' curtains in any width. Hopefully I can find something without going custom.
    I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: indoor/outdoor

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, annz. It's not clear from the description whether the 108" width is for each single panel, or for the two panels combined. You mention a "combined width" and if that's the case, that won't work for my door, which is 120" wide. DO let me know what you find out at JCP.

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant -- I've thought about using hooks and rings because I've combined panels with hooks and rings successfully in the past. But I was really hoping to find a grommet-top style this time around.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

Well.....just returned from checking out ready-made drapes at several stores.
    JCP does have a 'patio panel' drape that measures 100x 84H but it comes only in their Supreme pinch pleat drape. Custom widths and lengths can also be ordered in the Supreme pleated drape.
    While there I saw many lovely fabrics in semi-sheers & sheers and I noticed the majority of their drapes are now grommet.
    I did find a drape at BB&B that I like (Union Square-med. weight) so I'll probably buy 4 panels and stitch the sides, giving me 2 drapes of 100" w x 108H on each side.

I've linked another site that carries the 'patio panel' but I don't know the quality of the fabric. BB&B also has one drape in the 100x84" size but it's a heavier fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio panel

• kitasei
    9 years ago

You can find huge pieces of fabric that cost very little from makers of theater curtains, scrims and backdrops. So large you won't have to do any seaming of panels.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I sewed grommet top panels together for my patio doors and it worked out just fine. I opened the right side vertical hem on one panel and the left side vertical hem on another and then sewed the two sections. I used a double stitched seam.This is a combination seam-and-edge finish that creates a narrow seam and prevents the fabric from raveling. First I stitched a plain seam. Then stitched again, 1/8" away, within the seam allowance, using a zigzag stitch. I trimmed the seam allowance close to the second row of stitching and then pressed the finished seam allowance to one side.
    "Easy peasy". It can be done with minimal sewing skills.
    The grommet spacing might be a little wider or narrower where the panels are joined but you don't see that at all when the curtains are open and its barely noticeable when the curtains are closed.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I have 3 sets of sliders which looked bare in our hallway- wanted to hang something to add alittle privacy and softness... I needed to do an inside mount, so wanted rod pockets and went with RH open weave linen panels--- they're nice! I bought 100 width for each door since they're only nearly 60" wide and I have them pulled 1/2 open almost all of the time... think they may have grommeted panels...

• msbrandywinevalley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

busybee3 -- Thanks. I just checked the RH website. For grommet top draperies I'd need to go with a custom size and the cost would be more than I want to spend. More and more I'm beginning to think that pinch pleated with rings are about my only budget option.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

msbrandy,
    Check out these 2 sites. Not sure if color and price are what you're looking for but it's more options!
    Be sure to read the reviews on the drape from crate&barrel. One person added pleater tape to the top and included a photo.
    http://www.touchofclass.com/dakota-wide-sheer-grommet-curtain-panel-100-x-84/p/A788-002/

Here is a link that might be useful: crate and barrel