Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

OT... Sad, unbelievable update !!

15 years ago

OT I know, just wanted to give update where I post most often.

Hello to all of you. As most of you know we have had the build from hell. When we started 3 yrs. ago we had builder X who ended up embezzling & than filing BK. Lost a bunch of money.

Year break, then new bank, new builder. Fired awful builder, are now finishing it ourselves, literally.

Went with construction loan from local, private, healthy bank. They do not do mortgage lending. Signed papers 3 months before housing market collapsed.

To make a sad story short ... we have been trying to get a take out loan and we can not. As you all know we have a large, expensive home, thats just a fact. We need a jumbo take out loan. They are almost non-existent right now. While we were completely pre-qualified before, under the new economy it just doesn't matter.

We have invested cash, sweat equity, etc. above & beyond construction loan. Have over in 1/2 mil. in equity and our construction lender is saying they will take the house if we can't get a loan. (no comment about this bank)

I am beyond emotion. We have been working on getting this loan for over a yr. There comes a point when you can just not take it anymore.

I must admit I am sick of the whole thing. I don't even like going to my beautiful home. They are ready to install all the lights and we told them to wait because those were purchased out our pocket and I do not want the bank to get them if thats what happens. I have plumbing fixtures, towel bars, t.p. rods,hooks, etc. ready to go. What the heck am I going to do with light fixtures for a 6000 sq. ft. home anyway. We have 2, 50 ft. storage units full of furniture, books, dishes, etc for new house, not to mention my house full of stuff here. We have our tractor, our outdoor barn full of stuff out there.

This is amazing to me that we can do everything right and still have this happen. We have been paying 2 mortgages for 3 years and now we may lose everything.

I am sorry to rant, but just don't even know what to say or who to say it to.

I appreciate all of you, I appreciate this forum. It has kept me sane for sure.

One thing, I know....,

.... this is "just" a house. My children are healthy, my husband is wonderful, I have a strong marriage, I have unshakeable faith. Yet, this was the home I was dreaming about all my life. It is a little hard to swallow.

(Sorry for all the personal info, I really just needed an outlet today.)

Comments (88)

• 15 years ago

Hang in there. There are still some loan programs available for jumbo. I e-mailed you again. You are only trying to get 70% from what you are saying, which can be done at least in my state.

• 15 years ago

Does what you are doing count as being an "owner-builder loan"? We built our own house (from the get-go) and there was really only one local bank that did owner-builder loans anymore. At any rate, I hope things work out for you quickly, I can only imagine how much stress you must be feeling :-(

• 15 years ago

Oh no!!! That is so awful!! My thoughts are with you. I hope this gets resolution soon.

• 15 years ago

I am an infrequent poster but long-time lurker; I realize we are strangers to one another but this sounds like an awful situation and I just wanted to let you know that this stranger is sending positive thoughts your way.

• 15 years ago

Just wanted to send you (((((hugs))))))

Always go as high up as you can -get to the person that makes the decisions or the person that presents them to the board members. I have developed relations with several smaller banks that have been very good to my business when the bigger banks just laughed at us.

Smiles:)

• 15 years ago

A countryfarm, I know nothing about financing to build a home so I won't offer any financial advice. Only advice I can lend is for you to keep the faith and know this is your house and it will remain that way. Get an attorney if you have to, don't let them take your home.

• 15 years ago

I really wish I could contribute some sage advice, but all I can do is tell you that I will be thinking about you.

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry for your situation. And not knowing your family, you may need a very large home. For us, a 6,000 sq ft. house would be far too much...the payments, the cleaning, taxes and upkeep. Our home is small compared to most of those I see here (just under 2,000 living) but we own it outright.

What you said about your husband and children being healthy, that's a blessing. In our city there have been 3 young dads killed since Thanksgiving, leaving a total of nine children fatherless. Just heartbreaking.

Good luck to you.

• 15 years ago

acountryfarm,

Go to this website. They may can help you

www.loansafe.org. It is a very safe site.

• 15 years ago

acountryfarm,

You've had words of wisdom above; I just wanted to add my concern and support. Please know you're in my prayers, literally.

Arlene

• 15 years ago

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I hope you are pursuing more than one bank. You have to at times like these. GL.

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry to read your sad news. There is, perhaps, another option. That is to find a private investor, and cut him/her in on some of the profit when the house is sold at some future date. Good luck and we're all pulling for you!

• 15 years ago

Continued thanks to all of you. I have remained positive for my children and others throughout. It is nice just to get a little help in keeping positive. I know you are all right. I will keep trying, I will keep the faith, I will leave no stone unturned.

Just so some of you know who don't know me.
    I have a very large family. I have 9 children still at home. We most likely will have aging parents live with us. This house sits on 22 acres and while daunting for some I have always wanted to be a country girl. This is where I want to raise my children. Seven of the nine children are under 15. I have a ways to go and don't want to do it in current house. I also homeschool so it very much fits into our lifestyle.

I have had a garden there for the last 3 years, we have camped, entertained, harvested, canned, prayed, played, loved, laughed on that property. My children have waited so long. We are in 2200 sq. ft. and while I am always grateful this house is too small.
    We do NOT have enough room. Could we make it here? Sure. I can make it anywhere. But we have been paying for this house for 3 years, something has gotta give. I am believing it will, although last night in the wee hors I would have said it was hopeless. You all know how dark night can seem.

You really have all helped lift my spirits. This has been a bad week & I am starting to feel like my old self. I am a naturally positive, thankful type a person, this last few days had got me thinking I was not who I always thought I was.
    So Thanks again, I will continue to update.

( I know on this site there is sometimes talk about how spoiled some of us are, or how we shouldn't complain about anything, as we have so much.
    Let me just say that not only have we worked hard, we are so grateful for every thing we have.
    We have been blessed, but we are ever reminded.....
    ..... These are all material things. My treasure is my God, my family, my friends. My heart is to serve and teach my children to serve. We can and will survive this. I have survived much worse in my life.)

• 15 years ago

Acountryfarm, I am so saddened to hear this. Wishing you and your wonderful family love, peace, and much luck in 2009. I will be thinking of you. Many hugs to all of you.

• 15 years ago

You have been so sweet and generous to others and me; I feel really bad about this stress and pressure you're facing.

I'm up in the Rocky Mountains, and I'm sending good thoughts and energy to you in beautiful Oregon! Please keep us updated.

xo

• 15 years ago

I have nothing to offer, but hope for the best for you and your family. Keep your chin up.

• 15 years ago

I feel like I know you from the building forum; I believe we started the building process around the same time. I'll pray for a quick resolution to this terrible mess. We homeschool and I understand the stress of doing that while building, even without all these issues!

Did you get an attorney to deal with the builder?

• 15 years ago

Acountryfarm - All I can add is more prayers. I am so very sorry that you are having to go through this.

• 15 years ago

Keep your spirits up any way you can...looking at the beautiful faces of your children! Keep believing and we here, your forum friends, will keep sending our positive thoughts your way. God Bless.

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry to read this. I have no financial advice to offer, but you and your family are in my prayers.

• 15 years ago

Dear acountryfarm, I hope things will work out. Your have the respect of many people here. I just wanted to say how touched I have been by your acts of kindness and generosity. At least once or twice a week I still think about your words on a post about the panhandlers, it opened my eyes. Thank you, acountryfarm. I wish I had financial advice for you, I had thought of the Building a Home and Buying and Selling Homes forums as did other posters.

• 15 years ago

(((Acountryfarm!))) I had no idea what this thread was going to say when I opened it up. . . I've been following your posts for awhile now. That's just horrible! You seem like such a kind, tenderhearted, giving person. I believe that we are blessed in return when things are done from the heart. Saying prayers for you and your family that this will all work out.

• 15 years ago

I'm thinking of you. Hang on. I hope it all works out.

Ivette

• 15 years ago

Oh no (((Kimberly)) I am so terribly sorry for your latest turn of events. I thought for sure everything was back on track and your beautiful new house would soon become your home. There has just got to be a way for it all to work out. With all of us praying for you, that has to count for something, right? I hope the financial person that Deb found can clear a path for you. Don't give up...

Many hugs and prayers,
    Lindy

• 15 years ago

I hope there is a fast turnaround in direction for you. What an undeserved heartache.

• 15 years ago

Reading your situation truly brought a tear to my eye (or more). Please know that I too will be remembering you in my prayers. You sound like a really great woman w/ a great family and wonderful values that I hope to be able to provide for my family too.

• 15 years ago

(((Kimberly)))

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I just know things will work out. Hang in there.

I agree with oceanna, see if you can find a private investor. My husband did this twice for a family member (once so he could buy a house, once so he could start a business). Both times it worked out well, for the family member (who couldn't get financing elsewhere) and for us (who earned interest on the loans). It's a business transaction, not a personal matter, so don't let your emotions get in the way. Try to think of anyone you know who may have money they'd be willing to lend.

• 15 years ago

My prayers are with you and your family. My hopes are that a bank ~ any bank~ will see their way through this to lend you the money you need to keep this house. Any banker worth his/her salt (I'm the daughter of a banker, now retired) knows that in times like this, that house could stay on the market for years. The one next door to us sounds fairly comparable to yours and it's going on two years, empty and unsold. They need to look at the whole picture instead of just the $ amount! I hope you can find someone who will do that.
    Lynn

• 15 years ago

Acountryfarm,

Hi! I'm triciae. I saw my name mentioned both here & on the Buying/Selling Forum so I'm checking in.

My background is in lending specifically construction lending & workouts of both commercial & residential mortgages. It sounds to me from reading this thread that you fall in the "workout" category.

You've not given enough info for me to make a real call; but I can tell you that jumbo mortgages are absolutely still available.

I'll keep checking this thread for a response to Dave's questions. When we know the answers to those questions I can offer suggestions of how to approach your current lender.

Hoping either Dave or I can be of help...

/tricia

• 15 years ago

Hi Tricia~good to see you here! You answered several questions for me when I was selling my condo in CA. All went well, for the most part, and i'm in my newly-built home in Austin.....and loving it!! Hope you are able to help Kimberly~I feel so bad for her and her family.

• 15 years ago

acountryfarm,

I recognize you from BAH and saw the call for help on the Real Estate forum.

I also have a non-typical property (lots of acreage, two houses on the lot, nicest house for miles). I would suggest you contact your local Farm Credit Agency. Most have a Country Home Loan program which has completely different underwriting requirements than typical residential loans. They know how to appraise for the excess land and outbuildings. Their rates are competitive and as an added bonus it is cooperative so you get paid back dividends (called patronage) based on their financial performance.

I am in western PA and our Farm Credit Agency is called Agchoice Farm Credit. I have a second with them and they were an absolute joy to work with. If I recall correctly you are in the Pacific Northwest. If my memory is correct I've attached a link to their program. If I'm wrong, just Google your area and Farm Credit and you should find the right people. YMMV of course but it is worth a shot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes over on the BAH forum.

klabio

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Farm Credit Country Home Loans

• 15 years ago

Acountryfarm - What area do you live in? Is it possible to get a loan from another state?...I don't know.

I am going to show this to my husband and see if he has any suggestions. He is president of a fairly new, privatly owned, healthy bank, AND they have a great mortgage department!

• 15 years ago

Dear acountryfarm, You and your wonderful family will be in my prayers tonight. Stay strong.

• 15 years ago

I just want to say that I find this thread heartwarming - not the bad news, of course, but the response from forum members. I have nothing to add, perhaps just another voice wishing you luck, acountryfarm.

• 15 years ago

Tricae, , thanks for answering my call. Hopefully Acountryhome will reach out to you privately as she did Dave. I've read many of your posts on Buying and Selling and I know that you know your stuff.

Thx again

• 15 years ago

Several of you have given us many great links and thoughts. I appreciate every one of them.

My entire day was busy with the burglary. Tomorrow we will be contacting those agency's that were listed. I will email privately those who requested more information.

I am so encouraged by all your support, prayers, & good thoughts. I have shared them with my Dh and he is equally touched.

Thank you.

Kimberly

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, I've been thinking about you since I first read this post. Please know that everyone is routing for you, and hoping this works out. Your family is in my prayers.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, you've seen that the forum can make concrete differences in folks' lives, right? Let's hope it comes through for you. We're pullin' for you up in PDX :)

• 15 years ago

I'm late, but you are on our special list here..
    ((((((Kimberly and family)))))))

• 15 years ago

I just happend to come across this thread and just wanted to add my hopes that all will work out. Keep your hope in God he can turn any situation around in the drop of a hat at just the right time. Just reach out to him and tell him of your problems.

So sorry for what you are going through. Seems like you are rich in those who want to help and well wishers. Be blessed.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly,

Just checking in to see if you had any news. I was happy to see Dave and Trish comment on your thread. I have seen both of them in the other forum and they always seem to have such great advice. yeah for GW community!!

I had to tell you that I shed a few tears over your post above, where you mentioned you homeschool, etc. I so understood what you mean when you said sometimes night seems so dark. And bless your heart when you said you thought maybe you weren't the person you had believed yourself to be.

We all have those moments in life where we feel that way. It seems you are being tested and tried. I am sorry for the discouraging time you are having. BUT, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I just believe that somehow, someway, good things will happen for you, a good person. I am keeping you in prayer, and will put you on our prayer requests at church this weekend.

Keep looking up. I know your new home is not where you are laying up your treasures. You deserve to have space to raise and school your children. And you need not apologize for the space in the home or the amount of property. God gives good things. If He led you to it, He will lead you thru it. Have faith. Stay strong. Try every avenue. Continue to pray for wisdom as you seek a resolution. Have faith and trust that God will make a way. He still sits on His throne!

Hugs to you. We're all rooting for you (and I'm praying for you. Truly I am!!).

• 15 years ago

No real news yet. We have had some encouraging preliminary conversations with some of the leads provided here.
    I assure you all that we work on this stressful situation most of each day. We have and continue to try many avenues.

We got a slow start this week. I did another OT post on our restaurant burglary last Thursday. Well Sunday morning early (5:00 a.m.) we got a call from police that our other restaurant was robbed. Same scenario. Safe stolen, all cables cut.

So we have been again dealing with all that mess. You would think the police would have told us last week that they know who is doing this and this is his MO. To pick a business and hit every location. Why the heck did they not say something????

We should have more house news to report soon.
    Thank you everyone for prayers and good wishes. I do appreciate all of you.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, I've been following this thread and wishing and praying for the best for your family ever since you posted this terrible news.

Any updates? Can we help with a letter-writing campaign to your local community bank?? (I'm only partly kidding with that suggestion, just so you know.)

• 15 years ago

Good grief, another restaurant too?!

Well, trouble comes in threes, so with any luck you've had your share (more than your share, actually), at least...now should begin the rising action. Come on, g'web magic, pull through here!

• 15 years ago

Any chance it's an inside job? We own commercial real estate and a Credit Union rents from us. They were robbed - cut hole in the ceiling. It was an inside job through a cashier that came to work briefly, then quit.

Good luck.

• 15 years ago

I hate to say it but that's what I was thinking, esp. when I read about the *second* safe stolen :(

• 15 years ago

Not an inside job. The police know this guy, has been in jail before, same scenario every time. Don't you think they could have been more informative after the 1st location hit. Its not like they were in the dark about this guy. Several places have been hit recently.
    Just a drag for sure. Good insurance though, thank heavens.

Just a side note. I am trying to not get excited. Our current lender mentioned to DH on thursday that it might be in their best interest to do a temporary 3 or 5 yr loan of some type. Just that they said this has me nervous beyond belief. It would be such a simple solution during this current national crisis. Its not as if we haven't been paying for it for 3 years already.

So you can all pray that they would see clear of their hard and fast rules and realize there are no other better people for this house.
    It has been customized for our family, it as been designed and planned with love , who the heck else would they get for it? Not only that it is "our house".

This is so trying and I am so ready to move.

• 15 years ago

Praying over here, too, acountryfarm. And all digits crossed for you. Hang in there!

• 15 years ago

I have a petition in with the heavenly Father tonight with your name on it, Kimberly. Please let us know what happens!

• 15 years ago

Come on lenders, realize what we all already understand -- it's Kimberly's family's home, for Pete's sake! Let them live in it!

(glad to hear it wasn't an inside job, although you're right, if the guy had the same M.O. over a period of time, you *might* think they might consider him as a possibility again...man, what is it with police and lenders down there...)