Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ah9200

Picking out Kitchen Paint color - gray/greige/beige?

AH9200
11 years ago

These are some pictures of our kitchen (we recently moved in) and we want to pick out a paint color that is neutral, but also in the "gray" colors family. The colors I have from left to right are BM Stonington Gray (too blue), BM Edgecomb Gray (I like this), BM Revere Pewter (too dark? formal?) and SW Agreeable gray. I am not opposed to swatching more samples.

Below are some pics, some in daylight, some at night.

The color we pick ideally we would like to use in our Foyer, Hall and upstairs Hall, or at least a color that would flow with the kitchen. Their are 3 rooms off the kitchen that we will be paiting too once we buy furniture and rugs (Sunroom, Dining Room, and Family Room).

Please help! I am very indecisive and wanted to get feedback from others who are decorating. Thanks.
{{!gwi}}

At night

{{!gwi}}

Revere Pewter Left, Edgecomb middle, Agreeable right

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

picture of granite and floor

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• chispa
    11 years ago

BM Grant Beige, a greige, might be worth a try. It is a bit darker than Edgecomb, but lighter than Revere. More beige/green undertones that would go well with your floors.

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

I had a hard time finding a similar warm greige. I must have tried a million of them. Revere pewter read to blue in my house. I ended up going with a sherwin Williams color that I had color matched at BM, taupe tone. It is a little dark so I had it adjusted to 40%.

On my computer the tile in your kitchen reads a little on the pink side. If they are pinkish I would stay away from the cooler greys. My current backsplash has pink tones and taupe tone doesn't clash with it.

Here is Taupe Tone @ 40% (color matched in BM aura)

Kitchen: showing pinkish backsplash

Living room wall

In the foyer against some stark white (unpainted trim, in the middle of project) and against the old paint color which was a pinkish off white.

Of the colors you sampled I like edgecomb the best, but it does seem a little light.

This post was edited by olivesmom on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 17:59

• EG3d
    11 years ago

This is Ellen Kennon's full spectrum paint called Taupe.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Does the room with the EK paint look green to anyone else, or are my eyes failing me?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I like Edgecombe the best; the others look blue (Stonington), greenish (Pewter), purplish (Agreeable); an dyes, something a little bit greige may work well with your floor.
    However, it's hard to judge from a monitor.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Try BM Gray Owl. I didn't have luck with the ones you have sampled.

• joannemb
    11 years ago

I vote for edgecomb. Pretty!

• joannemb
    11 years ago

Should mention, if you do decide to try more samples, check out "Dolphin Fin" by Behr. Very similar to edgecomb--I have it in my dining room with white wainscotting and get many compliments on it--people often ask the name.

• joannemb
    11 years ago

Sorry for the multiple posts.... here is a link discussing and showing dolphin fin. It looks very true to the color on the monitor/wall in the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Behr dolphin fin

• AH9200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank all. I will sample a couple more and see how they compare. The flooring does look like it has pinkish tones on the monitor, but in real life I dont see it. Its cream/tan in color to me. The backsplash has gray undertones.

I really want to put in hardwood butthat wont happen for a bit (there is hardwood in the dining room, family room, and office on main floor. The ceramic time is in the kitchen, foyer and sunroom.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I've never seen Edgecomb Gray in person, but I love it in pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michelle's kitchen

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I agree with trying Gray Owl. I chose it for my son's bedroom, after sampling several other grays. I like it a lot; however, I had repainted his room while he was gone, and he didn't realize that it wasn't white until I pointed it out to him--- maybe, (I hope) because there's an accent wall in BM Lucerne. That he saw.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Here are Michelle's kitchen pic's (as well as some others)
    Walls Edgecomb
    Cabintes White Dove and Stone Harbor Gray
    She did such a wonderful job!

Lovely kitchen!

{{!gwi}}

Source: ths.gardenweb.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

A Revere Pewter kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Source: [houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mckenzie-heights-traditional-kitchen-vancouver-phvw-vp~1664826) via Tiffani on Pinterest

More RP:

{{!gwi}}

Source: google.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

And SW Agreeable Gray kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Source: involvingcolor.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

• AH9200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, so I added BM Grey Owl (2 coats over the Stonington Gray Swatch), it looks so blue that is definetly OUT! I also put up BM Grant Beige on the far right. Below are some updated pics.

What are your thoughts on Grant Beige compared to Edgecomb?
    Colors from left to right are BM Gray Owl, BM Edge, BM RPewter, BM Grant Beige, on bottom is SW Agreeable gray

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I took this with my Iphone
    {{!gwi}}

Grant Beige on posterboard on far left
    {{!gwi}}

• dretutz
    11 years ago

Like Grant Beige the best of that lot. You might consider BM Pashmina for a taupey gray without the blue undertones.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Of course, I like the Grant Beige ... have in most of my house! Can you move the GB poster board near your floor to see how that looks.

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

I have balanced beige and tony taupe by SW in my house. They might look good with your floor.

I like all of the colors you have tried besides the two that look too blue. Edge comb is probably my favorite of your samples. It seems to have just a hint of taupe to mix well with your floors and might be a bit warmer. Good luck and please show after pictures.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I have edgecomb grey and love it. It's soft, fresh and warm. I don't have Gray Owl in my house but I've seen many photos of it. I bet they mis-mixed that paint! It does not look right. I'd take it back and ask them to take a look at it.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I have some Edgecomb grey too, but I find it a bit cold and drab. I plan on repainting with the Grant Beige in the rest of the main living areas.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

At one point my LR was Revere Pewter and I really liked it. I didn't post a pic because my LR style and wood is so drastically different (lots of dark wood).

• msrose
    11 years ago

For those that have Edgecomb Gray, what color does it look in your house? It looks greige in the pictures, but my small sample looks gray with no warmth to it. Does it ever look gray only in your house depending on the light or do you always see a tan mixed in with the gray?

• msrose
    11 years ago

I don't know how accurate these pictures are, but here's a few I've saved.

Edgecomb Gray (srg125's house)

Edgecomb Gray

{{!gwi}}

Grant Beige

Grant Beige

Manchester Tan

Manchester Tan

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Well, as I said, I have Grey Owl, and while it is slightly blue, it's most definitely not as blue as your sample. However, i also found that the samples that come in the little jars somehow look different from the same color in the Aura paint.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Smokey Taupe, BM.