Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuscatie

I looked - there's not a decorating bone in my body

cactuscatie
16 years ago

When it comes to decorating, I'm clueless. I'm trying to pick out WT for our family room/kitchen (pics below). Today I went to a local decorating store for help. I explained that I was thinking about printed roman shades for the kitchen with a coordinating pattern in the family room. Now mind you, I have no clue if patterned and printed would be the best way to go. Anyway, this is how the visit went:

1. Because I painted both rooms the same color, I connected the rooms and I was told that all WT should be the same color/pattern.

2. He also told me roman shades should be in solids or tone on tone and not printed or patterned because they are somewhat permanent and I would get tired of the print.

3. He told me that there were no roman shades that come in fabric patterns so I would need custom. I agreed to look at his fabrics books.

4. While I was looking at his fabric books at least 3 times he brought up how costly custom shades can be. I finally told him cost wasn't an issue if I found what I liked. By now I am completely turned off.

Now I am second guessing myself. He does have a point about getting tired of the print. No words can describe how I feel right now, I am completely lost and frustrated.

I've attached pictures but it is hard to get good pics because of how the rooms are situated. I hope you can get a good idea. The color is BM Saybrook Sage and I am turning to everyone here for suggestions. Our neighbors are close, so privacy is an issue.

ps the reason I wanted roman shades is because I want a simple look, no curtains or valences, etc. We have new trim and I don't want to hide it just yet. I figured if I get a print, it would add color to the room. Otherwise, where the heck do I bring in some color???

Here's how the room is split.

view from kitchen to family room. note: there is another window to the left of the stained glass.

view of windows in family room

Comments (11)

• User
    16 years ago

Oh man.... your rooms look so pretty. I can totally understand how frustrated you feel and my take is that maybe (just a maybe) he had some points as far as keeping it simple and easy. however--
    I think you should try another store and see what they say. It's true that once you start with custom it does get pretty pricey. I would at least try another store or decorator, and see what they suggest. Then, you can always try to find someone to make them for you more affordably. But I hear ya- if you find something that knocks your socks off, price will be secondary.
    Some of these people who work in decorating and sales, really have no background in either.

• les917
    16 years ago

I agree with going neutral (something with some texture would be okay) for the romans. They will be expensive, and the more defined the print or colors, the more limited you are if you want to change the decor a bit. Plus, in the family room with the pretty stain glass window, I think simpler would be better.

I am a little concerned about fabric roman shades in the kitchen, depending on how close to the stove the window will be. Grease and odors tend to get 'stuck' on fabric, and you won't just be able to throw the romans in the wash.

White wood shutters painted to match the trim would be another good choice. They also allow light in the spaces when you want it, without having to constantly raise and lower and adjust as you do with roman shades.

How you get color in the space is with artwork, accessories and fabrics like pillows, throws, candles, etc.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Your rooms are beautiful! How about going neutral on the shades and doing a pretty printed topper above them?

Have you seen the toppers at the Pate Meadows/Southern Living site? Do you sew? Roman shades aren't too hard to make. Neither are toppers. Talk with your local fabric store and you can buy patterns. You could do whatever your heart desired, and change them out if you tired of them.

Here's a link for you. Click on the picture gallery and browse to your heart's content. Loads of eye candy there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living window patterns

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

Pretty rooms! first thought was white wood or wood like blinds-you can adjust the angle for privacy and still see out. Nice and crisp. Add art, pillows and an area rug-a few vases for color.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

I think you have a great base to work with - I like your wall color and your furniture and that stained glass is VERY nice! I think you could do woven wood in one room and a roman shade or some other type of fabric in the other -

Have you looked at Smith & Noble? They have a ton of things to choose from and they're not all taht expensive (they can get up there but if you keep it simple and look at the price points, you can keep it reasonable).

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

You have a beautiful home. What about a plainer fabric shade? I like les's idea of shutters (although they are expensive), as well as woven wood shades.

Here are some links:

Shutters:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/product_category.jsp?sch_cat=Wood%20Shutters&nav_cat=-18004

Woven Wood Shades:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/product_category.jsp?sch_cat=Natural%20Woven%20Shades&nav_cat=-17996

Fabric/Roman Shades:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/product_category.jsp?sch_cat=Fabric%20Shades&nav_cat=-17993

Romanesque Shades (cleaner lines, cheaper than roman shades)

Illusions Shadings:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/product_category.jsp?sch_cat=Illusions%20Shadings&nav_cat=-18459

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I agree with Les. After reading her suggestion of shutters, I thought that would be perfect! Color can come from a lot of places with more bang for your buck.

• sparksals
    16 years ago

Are those two different shades of green in each room or is it because of the lighting? The green in the room with the little table is so pretty! What colour is that?

• poshspace
    16 years ago

I have a roman shade over a small window over my sink --it is a black and white large check--I LOVE it...
    Your windows look rather large to have a roman shade--if you can swing it white shutters would look fantastic!!
    Do a faux wood--Budget Blinds have a great product..
    Susan

• walkin_yesindeed
    16 years ago

A couple of options:
    1) for a look that's similar to romans (clean lines, allows your trim to show, allows you to experiment with fabric/ornamentation etc) there are some good threads in the archives here about buying roller shades, some beautiful fabric, and customizing them yourself to what you want. Roller shades are cheap, and even nice heavy ones aren't too bad, so if you wind up swapping them out, it's not a catastrophe. Just a thought. _Sunset_ magazine was very into this look a year or so ago: does anyone remember those fabulous block-printed roller shades they showed? Can't find pics anywhere...

2) the old standby, JC Penney, is having a window/home sale right now, and has a lot of nice roman shades, some in colors and prints. Link below. Many GWers have gotten their wts from Penney's, myself included, and are quite happy. There are coupons, free shipping, etc all over the web for JCP if you scour hard enough.

3) what a gorgeous house you have! -- the wall color, the floors, the trim, the stained glass, the classy but simple furniture. Wow.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP roman shades

• lynnski
    16 years ago

I don't know how you can say you have no decorating instincts! Your photos show a lovely, peaceful, calming house, and you took a leap by choosing a decidedly non-neutral wall color. The new moldings/trim around your windows is perfect, and the tone of your furniture looks wonderful with the color of your walls and the art glass.

I second the suggestion of smith + noble. I think that some of the less expensive treatments would look great in your space. For example, I'd love to see some of their semi-sheer pleated shades that will let light in and add some subtle color (and maybe tone-on-tone pattern) to your rooms. Your windows would really glow with something in the gold-yellow-persimmon family, and complement the art glass, furniture, and wall color. Personally, I would not go for wood shutters because it is a big expense to incur at this point in your decorating odyssey. Also, I would definitely choose window treatments that fit INSIDE your lovely window frames and are a different color than the trim. BTW, the s+n catalog can be very inspiring, but I find the website kind of overwhelming.

You would benefit, I think, from choosing what many people call an inspiration piece. That could be a piece of art, a vase, a decorative pillow, a lamp, or any other object that you LOVE and has the feel, texture, or colors that you want your room to have. It's possible that the art glass may serve that function for you, or you might have another object that you adore and that *feels* the way you want your adjoining rooms to feel. Keep that inspiration piece (or a photo of it) with you, and whenever you consider choosing a decorative item, see if it feels or looks pleasing with the inspiration piece. This approach will help your space feel cohesive without being predictable or matchy-matchy.

You are off to a fabulous start. Enjoy!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH