Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_taylor1224

My Dining Room in progress... Part 1

I bought this used set from my local re-sale shop and have been working on it. Here's my progress so far.

{{!gwi}}

That's what it looks like after I removed all the old "stuff".

After some sanding...

{{!gwi}}

After gel stain:

{{!gwi}}

Another before:

{{!gwi}}

And after:

{{!gwi}}

One inch foam about 1/2 inch larger than seat; batting larger than that.

{{!gwi}}

Stapled & trimmed; ready for fabric...

{{!gwi}}

Close up of fabric; can't get true color; dark brown & silvery white fabric.

{{!gwi}}

All done!

{{!gwi}}

Look for part 2 sometime soon!

Comments (16)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Wow, Gracie, good job! That is looking really beautiful.

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

Nice. That fabric would look perfect with my new area rug. Where'd you get it?

Thanks for the step-by-step visual with instructions for all us that need that kind of help.

Looking forward to Part 2. Gorgeous end result.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

That looks great. Could you do this with an upholstered chair? I have an old one I'd love to work on but know nothing about upholstering. Could I put foam on top of the old stuffing?

Anyway, yours looks like a million dollars.

Jane

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I love that chair. The last pic is so "Ta-da!" What a great job. It looks so nice. What stain did you use?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Excellent, and you did pay meticulous attention the the pattern, Well Done!
    May I share for others that may want to try, There is Foam and then there is Quality Foam. I learned about this when redoing our motorhome. You can use hobby foam if comfort is not important or if you want long lasting comfort, go to a foam store and feel the difference. They will also very neatly cut it to size with professional machinery. This is so helpful if you need shart straight crisp cuts. All that I bought years ago for hard use is still supportively comfortable. It was worth every dollar to invest in great quality foam and do it right once.
    What brand product did you use on your wood, your results are fabulous! Those chairs are truely ReBorn! Love the mantle tops!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

That is gorgeous! Great photos. I could almost do this from following the photos alone. Did you have to refinish the wood before you started?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Terrific job! The fabric is a perfect fit for the chairs! I also want to know what product you used to finish the chairs.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Great job! And I love that fabric! Is the fabric print gray or brown? I'm asking because I saw a beautiful Robert Allen fabric today in gray that would be gorgeous made up in window treatments for a dining room.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. I bought the fabric from Jo Ann's (50 percent off). It's from Christopher Lowell's line. Here is a better picture with the colors showing more "true".

{{!gwi}}

I used a minwax gel stain in dark walnut. I also had to fill some gouges first. When I was done I used Formby's tung oil to make it shine. I will show more pieces of the set when I can get my DH & son to put them in the DR. Then I'll need help with drapes & paint, if you all would be so kind.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

bodica gave some good info. Foam can be purchased in different densities and thicknesses. gracie, you did a wonderful job.

• pancake77
    15 years ago

Very lovely! What beautiful work. And love the fabric--great find! Can you come and do my dining room next? :)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bodica for the foam info. These chairs won't be used often, but if I need foam for my LR chairs I'll check out an uphostery shop.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Wow gracie! You go girl. I've always loved paisley, it's timeless.

• liz_h
    15 years ago

You did a beautiful job, and I really like the look of the chair I'm glad to see you rescuing that set.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous. Gives me hope for my ugly DR chairs.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Great job, they really look like a million bucks now!