Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

My walls want to be orange.ish

violetwest
9 years ago

I want to put the shelves up in my bedroom, spare bedroom, and spare room. But first, I think I need to paint. These rooms, especially my bedroom . . . want to be orange/pink.

The walls are telling me this! My bedroom is dark, and it wants to glow! Thinking about one wall a darker orange/rust, and the other walls, a medium peach, and a peachy white.

But . . . would this be GASP -- dated? The current paint palletes I see are all gray. My house does not want to be gray -- I asked it.

Thinking about Behr's Nectarina, White Peach, and Antique Cameo. Big mistake?

Comments (39)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Dated, schmated.
    If it's what you want go for it.
    If you decide you don't like it paint is easy enough to change.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you like those colors go for it. I am not a fan of peach but that's my personal taste.

Do you have a photo? You know we love photos!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the lighter peaches might go a bit dingy and drab in a low light setting. Why Three colors, is one trim?

I would probably bite the bullet and do the entire room in one color. I am not sure that Any of them are quite saturated enough to give you a good "glow".

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the Nectarina is pretty saturated. That would go along the main wall behind my bed, with a medium color on the other walls. The lighter color is a possibility for the adjacent bathroom, which gets a bit more light.

I would never have thought I'd like a peach color, but with my southwest style house with northern exposure -- I don't know, that what it really likes. I've seen some really yucky "peach" so will test, test, test!

I've not done much painting in my life but have never liked the yellowish tan cream thing that's on the walls now, and have been dithering for some time.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I actually like coral-y peaches, but nectarina on my monitor looks a little dirty: a little "fake tan/Teresa Guidice's foundation". Could be different in the room.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very difficult to judge unless on the wall. I'll get samples and take pics.

• hippy
    9 years ago

#1. Paint is made to make things the color that YOU want them to be.

#2. Don't like the color of an object? See #1.

It's your house. Paint it the color that you want it to be and the heck with the "In Crowd".

I would choose a better quality paint than Behr. Personally I would not paint a dog house with that Home Depot brand or Lowe's Valspar. Buy either Behr or Valspar you best make plans to go over the walls two or three times just to get them covered.... Had to use 1 1/2 gallon just to cover a simple 12x16 room that had been primed. Think that I had it painted only to go back the next day and see white blotches all over the room, Repainted it again. Next day same thing. Finally the third coat covered it.

I will go back to and stick with Pittsburgh paint from now.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I read it as "my walls want to be orange fish" and I was picturing a really fantastic wallpaper lol!

I'm no help at all.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I've haven't been too closeted in my LOVE for the color orange. :-)

I just did a search on orange rooms and came up with this blog linked below. Nectarina looks very different in the various pics I see of it online. Some seem pinkish...

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Rooms Done Right (Even if You Hate Orange)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, orange fish -- I like it!

very nice link, bpathome -- most a bit too bright for me.

hippy -- Behr paint is two of the top three rated by Consumer Reports, and it's easily available to me, so will probably use

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dupe. darn GW!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 18:06

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Violet, I love BM Soft Pumpkin and August Morning. The Autumn Morning just glows.

My house would slam the doors and lock them so I couldn't re-enter if I painted my walls grey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Morning

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I used to have a peach bedroom. It was soooo relaxing. I plan to have another one someday. :) It was a total mistake and the first room I ever painted on my own in my first apartment after college.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Well, I love peach, coral, orange, rose, etc., but have difficulty thinking of them all together. A favorite rose in one of my rooms is Farrow and Ball Red Earth. A favorite peach from the 1980's was Frazee Snowy Shrimp. A color mentioned some time ago on GW (I haven't used it) is Ben Moore Glowing Apricot. It does have "glowing" in the name. A beautiful orange was used by Grlwprls here a couple of years ago. Someone may recall.

• AngelaZ
    9 years ago

I used Sherwin Williams "Pennywise" in a foyer and laundry room once and loved it!

• awm03
    9 years ago

I painted my LR pumpkin 6 years ago -- still love the color.

• mirandajae
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is orange/rust/pumpkin. Not sure what to call it. I say go for it!

• pps7
    9 years ago

My library is BM persimmon. It's a bit pinker than what you are thinking but I absolutely love it!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

"Well, I love peach, coral, orange, rose, etc., but have difficulty thinking of them all together."

This made me laugh so hard because that was my grandmother's decorating scheme the entirety of her long and happy life. Any shade involving red, orange, pink, peach etc. fit her idea of what went together. It's all the same family, right? :)

Very soon after my grandfather died she hired a builder to build her the home she had always wanted but was never allowed to have and she went wild- even found kitchen counter material that combined all these colors. Her sofa was a pink/orange pattern. And oh my lord, the wallpaper!!
    How she found some of these items I will never know but the effect was gorgeous and fit her perfectly, what with her flaming red hair and perfect lipstick.

She loved big bold colors- red hats with orange flowers, pink and peach and orange dresses, and her nails always matched her outfits right up until the day she died at a ripe old age.

She 'went on ahead' in '85 and my mother only sold that home a couple of years ago but good golly I will remember it the rest of my life.

Long live ladies with the courage to do what they like whether it fits the current trends or not- it's what makes us special.

And a heartfelt thank you for the trip down memory lane.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really never liked orange, but somehow my PR went to Hermes orange and people either love it or are polite enough to say nothing....

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

You know, right after I wrote that, I realized how wrong I was. It's all in the tints and levels of saturation and so on.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Found it. Grlwprls used Sherwin Williams Rejuvenation.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Sherwin William's color of year 2015 is Coral Reef (a bit more saturated and pink --- veering away from the peach and firmly in the coral territory). This was the shade I originally thought of when you wrote orange/pink

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Coral Reef

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

My walls want to be orange, too!

Cbearhaill, I LOVE those colors all together. Throw red in there and I'm sold! In fact, I've been trying to figure out how to make my living room work with those colors . . .

This is one of my favorite oranges. I'd love something like this for my LR or DR or maybe sunroom.

{{gwi:2138951}}

• Oakley
    9 years ago

My son recently built a house and when they told me they were painting my GS's bedroom (he's 6) orange, let's just say I had to keep my mouth shut. lol

But it's beautiful! It's the color Annie posted above. I was shocked at how much I like it. The room has one north facing window.

On a side note, at night I can look at the house (on a hill) and if I see an orange glow, I know my GS is in there playing. It's an upstairs room, and it looks like the moon! :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oakley, it makes me smile to think of you looking up at your DGSs room and know he is safe and sound and happily playing. My heart's dearest wish would be to have my DD and her family on the same piece of property as me!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/210B-5

Behr's Tangerine Dream also wants to be on your walls :)

========
    Go for it. ENOUGH with the wishy-washy grays.

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

awm01- Gorgeous pumpkin color- who makes it and would you share the exact color?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

some pretty colors to look at! It's so strange, because I really, normally prefer cool colors -- blue, green, purple. But that's not what the house wants. Maybe I'm crazy, lol!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Thank you, debbie 1031. It's Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company's Safe Paint for Walls -- Pumpkin. It comes in a powder, you mix it in a bucket with water & a stick blender, and use just like regular paint. The paint is absolutely matte & has presence of color that puts latex paint to shame.

What I like about it is the color shifts with the light, as do all paint colors, but the color shifts with the milk paint are always beautiful: warm glowing orange in incandescent light, burnt orange in the daytime, coppery in leafy green summer light, and sometimes a tomato soup color when the room is in shade. I've used milk paint in a bedroom too, and it is a most luminous shade of gray blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe Paint milk paint for walls

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Awm, what a beautiful paint! I will have to consider that-- I love the idea of absolute matte . . .wow!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Always loved awm's Pumpkin. Actually, all her colors.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Thank you, kitchen_d & anele, how nice of you! Funny, but I've spent the last two weeks helping DS & DDIL paint their new home -- their first, a fixer upper. DIL is choosing lovely gray shades for the rooms, looks very chic & calming. And when I get home to my place, it's like *POW* -- orange!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I unfortunately don't have any pics, but in Mom's condo, we painted an accent wall in her living area a real terra cotta....it looked gorgeous and warm, and from outside, it exuded warmth much as oakley mentioned.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I normally don't post on the house side but I saw your post on the most recent posts on the side and it caught my attention!

I say go for it! I paint my walls whatever color I want. Everyone told me I'd hate my bathroom being navy blue, that it'd be too dark and seem small but I absolutely love it. You just have to pick colors you want. If you decide to sell your house someday, you may need to repaint but that's an easy fix and not something that stops me from painting.

I've stopped trying to make my house like ones in the magazines. I've got a navy bathroom, a bright apple green dining room, and then my living room and bedrooms are nice neutral beiges and greys. Some rooms I like that bright pop of color, but in my living room its beige, brown, olive green with pops of blue.

When we bought our house, the mudroom had paneling with log cabin print on it, and when I was painting it my mother in law told me I needed to paint it white, that it'd look terrible in the pale blue I'd picked out. That just made me want to paint it blue out of spite. So I did, and I love the blue. It's so peaceful.

Anyways, paint it peach! Paint it orange! Good luck :o)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Would love to see your DR thegardenat902!

awm03. I absolutely love your rooms and love when you post them.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Awm, LOVE that color!!!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ugh, you know I'm not going to paint it orange. really! maybe.

did I say ugh? choosing paint colors has got to be the hardest thing on earth.

Will probably go with something a bit richer and deeper, but still neutralish. Or maybe I'll end up painting it blue! 'Cause that's how I roll. . .