Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janine09_gw

Color schemes with travertine bathroom

janine09
13 years ago

We have a new ivory-tan travertine bathroom, but am struggling with the color schemes (towels,etc). Can anyone share what they chose to make things warm up but not clash with the feel?

Comments (19)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Perhaps if you try a mix of white/cream/ivory with:

Examples:

-chocolate brown

-dark olive or sage

-fresh spring green ((to add additional greens -- try adding a pretty orchid (real or faux) in a dark green flat pot or cachepot))

-for a change of pace -- soft blues -- but again -- add a matching vase or dish with white soaps ....

• jlj48
    13 years ago

I have a travertine floor with dark granite counter and cherry wood cabinet. I use a taupe on the walls,, chocolate towels, and black accents. Also have a large sea shell on the counter with glass jars to hold q-tips and cotten balls. Window valance is dark gray and cream stipes.

• doonie
    13 years ago

We redid our master bathroom in Scabos Travertine for the floor and a standard polished travertine shower. The vanitys are cherry with black pearl. We have leopard towels. The wall color is a grayed green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterbath

• suero
    13 years ago

Almost any color will go with ivory travertine. Here's one example:

and another:

If you can't make up your mind, pick sets of different colors. That way you can get a new look every time you change towels ;-)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

We have travertine flooring and limestone counters with dark cherry cabinets. I went with green walls and kept the towel an off white/ivory that was a close match to the travertine. I had mirrors custom made at our locally owned framing shop with a higher quality frame and I use original artwork and antique etchings, making it more room like. I also have a faux bamboo vanity, mirror and bench in the room and a runner.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to more MBath photos

• luckytiff02
    13 years ago

I can say that warm colors like orange and red represent energy while cool blues and greens have a soothing and calming effect, making them ideal for creating a restful bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Health insurance quotes

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Our master bath has travertine 2x2's on the tub surround and larger travertine tiles (12x18 maybe?) in the shower. I should say we have porcelain that looks like travertine. Anyway, the walls are painted Sherwin Williams Wool Skein, a very light neutral beige and the accent colors are aqua and taupe. We wanted a "spa" feel and I think the aqua and taupe accomplish that. Our fixtures are ORB. Sorry I don't have any pics to post.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

We have BM Baby Turtle walls in our powder room and laundry room, which both have ivory travertine floors. The powder room also has an antique vanity, copper sink, ORB hardware, and an ivory handtowel and toilet.

• User
    13 years ago

We have travertine in two bathrooms. One has an English wallpaper of cream background printed with green scrolls and squirrels and gilt acorns... with this one we use all white towels and the cabinetry is white. The other bathroom has a yellow and red chinoiserie toile wallpaper, a painted vanity (dark taupe) and red towels. Both look great---and that is by way of explaining that you can do almost anything you want to with traverine.. it lends itself to a variety of styles and colors.

• janine09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for such great suggestions. We also have the dark cherry cabinets many of you have, but with brushed nickel finishes. I'm liking the suggestions of blue/ivories/teal/green. I think orange and reds with chocolate browns go fabulously but I think the calm spa feel sounds ideal. Now I'm excited!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

juddgirl2 - When I can get the courage (and money) I will tackle changing our white "salad bowl" sinks for gorgeous copper sinks like yours. Love that whole set-up!

Here's our Master bathroom with Travertine counters and Travertine look porcelain tiles. The wall color is BM Putnam Ivory. As others have said, just about anything goes with Travertine.

• sis3
    13 years ago

This is ours. The bedroom/bath color scheme is like one teacats suggested above - ivory, chocolate milk, dark wood, ORB, plus green accents.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

sis3 - That's one beautiful bathroom, interesting vanities and a very different shower/tub layout. My bathroom doesn't show the shower area, but it is enclosed. I am a bit more private when it comes to showering. ;)

• sis3
    13 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, newhomebuilder.
    Without going into too much detail there is no lack of privacy should either of us want it! ;-)

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Allison, Not to hijack the thread, but a quick question. How long is your master bath vanity? It looks like it's about 9 feet? Perhaps longer?

I have a bath I'm contemplating redoing somehow and like this layout but only have 9 feet on that wall...

• allison0704
    13 years ago

It's 9' 6"total. Each piece is 36" and there is a fluted filler on either side of the drawer unit.

• jammer25
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

sis3 -Beautiful bathroom. Could you please tell me what color the wall paint is? Also are there more pictures to view?

• sis33
    7 years ago

Thank you so much Jammer25! The color was Hillsboro Beige, Benjamin Moore 1033. I am sorry, I don't have any more photos though I know I sprinkled quite a few around the GardenWeb sites over the years.