Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will protect painted cabinets??

Posted by citymomof3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 08 at 15:51

I painted all my cabinets (kitchen & both bathrooms) almost three years ago when we moved in. The white ones in the kitchen have worn pretty well, but are starting to need another coat of white paint. Can I seal them with something this time to protect them a little more???

Thanks in advance!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will protect painted cabinets??

Use an enamel or oil based paint and you should be fine.

o

There is a clear sealer for them that is probably oil-based that I used but I cannot remember. I do so much stuff, it is hard to recall but ask at your paint store and if you used oil paint, tell them. If you used latex, also tell them that as you will need to have two surfaces that can bond to each other.

o

Might also ask the experts at the Paint Forum here at GWeb.

o

You can paint over them with any type of sealer like a poly or shellac or varnish. That will protect them.

I'm curious....did you prime before you painted and what type of paint did you use? We have the cheapy faux wood cabinets and I painted those four years ago this week. I primed and then painted with three coats of semi-gloss from Wal-Mart. They aren't peeling or scratching at all. I painted the bathroom vanity and laundry cabinets in the same way and they're fine, too.

o

Thanks, guys! I sanded the cabinets and wiped them down first. Then I used a special primer the man at SW recommended for painting cabinets. The paint I used is a Semi Gloss latex I believe also from SW in white. I did two coats, maybe three. They don't look too bad. Only a couple of places where I can see some wear. Mainly the cabs in front of the sink.

Thanks again for all the help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here