Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Lamps for the MBR -- Part 2 New lamp home on trial basis

bac717
14 years ago

About 10 days ago, I started a new thread looking for advice on new lamps for our MBR. Today, I finally found time to go to the Pierre Deux store that's not too far from me. I was able to bring home the lamp I had found on line and give it a try. Here is the new lamp on the right with the old lamp on the left.

{{gwi:1566067}}

And here is the the lamp, lit, with the fabric I am planning to use for panels at the window and possibly a pillow on the bed.

{{gwi:1566068}}

Please excuse the quality of the pictures. They are a little washed out because it's a very overcast day here today.

IRL, I think the lamp looks a little larger than it does in the pictures I posted today. In my previous thread, several posters had advised to choose a lamp that will give enough light for reading in bed and I think this lamp meets that requirement, so I'm mainly looking for opinions on this lamp in this setting. Also, I'm wondering what you think of this fabric. Thanks.

Just for the heck of it, I'm including a link to my first post about lamps for the MBR.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous post

Comments (31)

• graywings123
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is that the $200 lamp from the Pierre Deux website? If you love, love, can't live without it, then stop reading here.

I am taken aback at the price for something that could so easily be mass produced. You could find a cheap brass lamp of the same shape on craigslist and spray paint it white. To my untrained eye, it looks no better and no worse than the lamp you currently have.

Here is a link that might be useful: website lamp

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Barb, I'm a lamp nut, and I'm sorry t say that I agree with grawwings on the one you have there. It may look great in some settings, but it's just not doing anything for your room.

I think you need a bulkier lamp, and could use a bit of color. I can't tell if the fabric draped on the bed is black and white or maybe blue and white, due to the lighting. Are the shams on the pillows on the bed a deep gray?

I have some Oriental Accents brand lamps that I have bought locally, and the quality and pricing is great. They are NOT Oriental in style, despite he name. I found this store online that shows many of their lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check these?

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, gray, it's the $200 lamp from Pierre Deux, which I agree, is a lot, but I really do like the shape. I think it is better than what I have now, but really would rather spend less.

But if it's so easily mass produced, I'm certainly not finding it out there! I may be able to find something second hand, but I do want a pair and that makes it a little more challenging.

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

my3dogs, we cross posted. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. To answer your questions about the fabrics, the one on the bed is a black and cream floral. It's Waverly Nassau Vine.
    {{gwi:1566069}}

The shams on the bed are the same as the dust ruffle and are a small black and off-white check.

The look I'm going for is more relaxed, not formal, with black and cream. The walls are a soft yellow.

Here is a lamp I found will looking around online last week. I love the shape and if it was available in a lighter color, it would be a no brainer for me. If I were to use a color in the lamp, do you have any suggestions?
    {{gwi:1566070}}

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Have to say the red lamp would give your room more punch. Not necessarily a "red" lamp, but the shape, it could be any color or metal. I think your original idea of the ginger jar would add more class to the room. Seems like your old lamp and the new one you have are too similar to the shape of the bedposts. If you want the lamps to stand out as the attraction in the room then a different shape and strong color would be a better option. But you have to go with what feels right for you and maybe the new lamps are a good fit and you can add some color with a vase of flowers or a simple throw on the bed. By the way...love the bed and the pictures above it...very nice.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

I agree with the above posters.

The disconnect for me comes in the style. Your room, bed, and b&w prints all say transitional to me. The PD lamp looks to be more garden style. The last lamp, while an improvement in presence with a splash of needed color, has an Asian feel to it that doesn't jive with your cute flower prints or the curly scrolls of the bed.

Okay, I gave it a shot. This one reminds me of your floral fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reminds me of your fabric

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I love the fabric and the lamp is nice, but not worth two hundred dollars in my opinion. Heck you could buy porch posts and have them cut down and made into lamps for less than that for both of them! I like this lamp below because it brings bed and the fabric together.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingram Table Lamp

• alwaysnesting
    14 years ago

Love the fabric and I agree that the lamp is nice, but just doesn't do justice to what you've been putting together. The red lamp adds a bit of life. Maybe a red lamp with a couple of red throw pillows? Love black, white, and red. Your fabric choice is awesome and I'm going to look at that to possibly add to my bedroom.

I recently did my bed in those colors. Not the same style but an example of those colors mixed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of red with black/white bedding

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I love the fabric, but hate the lamps in your room. Your issue here is scale, and you're for some reason shooting for a very small scale lamp when you don't have a small scale bedside table or bed.

Personally two matching lamps hurts my brain, but if you must, that red one was WAY WAY better for you. Your room could use the color splash and that red is a wonderful color that goes well with yellows and grays. I think it's far better than anything you've looked at so far, but in reality, if you were my sister, mother, oh heck a stranger in a store (I love lamps) I'd guide you to the cloisinee (someone spell that for me) lamps and have you pick one larger one for one table and perhaps a figure lamp for the other. Staying away from the shape of the bedpost as a first MUST and getting the scale more massive as a second. Both the same height, and in general same weight, but two different lamps entirely to give the room a more "collected over time" feel (which in my mind is always greater than a "got it in a kit" type of feeling).

I drool for the fabric though....I'm a textile nut :) And that's worth being nutty over LOL

• jant
    14 years ago

Well, I'd have to agree that style and the white isn't working that well. I could see a lucite or crystal lamp with a drum shade in there...a little traditional/transitional perhaps with clean lines? They're always classic and lend themselves to different decor styles.

BTW...I bought 2 lamps recently that are dead on with the PD at Walmart....$19.95!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I've seen a bazillion opf those style lamps at Homegoods. Also, the PD lamp looks a little too short for bedside reading. A good size would be between 29"-32". I think the larger scale would look good with your bed. Below is a link with a ton of lamps in the style you love. Zero in the correct size!

Here is a link that might be useful: Balluster Lamps

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Now that I have seen your fabric, look at the link below which shows it in an onyx colorway. Your instincts were right on target when you saw that deep red lamp above, both for the shape and color.

Red, black, white and yellow are often combined in fabrics, as shown by the link to Nassau vine in the onyx colorway. Use a beautiful deep red lamp, and bring more of the color into pillows and accents and your room will come alive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onyx

• les917
    14 years ago

I think the lamps you are leaning toward are much too small for the space and the furniture. You need something taller to balance the headboard. And honestly, I cannot imagine paying that kind of money for such a simple lamp, with a shade that actually feels a bit small for the proportion.

As others have mentioned, a touch of stronger color would be nice, and you certainly could do red. This lamp comes in the rich yellow in the link, or in red, and I think would be a nice touch. And being on sale for half price, at $130 each, plus free shipping, strikes me as a much better deal.

golden wash lamp

• User
    14 years ago

I dont like the lamps either. I think a nice black base lamp would go well with your fabric and pictures. I would leave the red color for your accent pillows and maybe a throw over the bed.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Take a look at Overstock. This is just one of the many lamps they have and good prices too.

http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock/Temple-Jar-Lamp-China/743519/product.html

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Barb, I've spent a couple of minutes going through the Oriental Accents link I put above. Because I have their lamps and know them to be very good quality, check these out in the link. I love the use of pattern on pattern, and I'd love to see more 'oomph' in your room. :-) Some of these choice may surprise you and you may not like them, but look to larger and more colorful choices. Note also that many of these come in different heights.

If you can get the one that you show above in the deep red, bring it home to try. Remember to add the color in pillows and spread it around the room.

CV Pompeii
    Spice
    Brick Red
    Petit Point
    Trellis Red
    Russet
    Red/Gold

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I love all the replies!! So many ideas to consider, but right now, I'm practically walking out the door to work today. The PD lamp is definitely going back. Mainly wanted to bring it home to see it for size (height) and color. Now I think I have a better idea of what I should be looking for. Hope to stop in a nice lamp store on the way home this afternoon. Thanks for working with me on this challenge. I hope to respond in more detail to all the posts later. Thanks again.

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, my trip to the lamp store didn't turn up anything. Beautiful lamps, but nothing that would work for me. The owner did mention the possibility of finding some type of large vase of jar that could be turned into a lamp. We'll see. I'm so frustrated with this part of the project, I've even thought of going a different direction with my colors in order to make it easier to find a lamp, but I think that's pretty drastic. I really like the Waverly Nassau Vine that I have in the black and cream. In looking around online, I did find it available in a blue and cream which would work with the yellow walls, but that would require changing the dust ruffle and shams. I'd really like to stick with the black and cream, tho. I've even considered repainting!!

Now to answer all the wonderful replies I received late last night and this morning.

vampiressrn--I didn't realize the shape of the lamp was too close to the bedposts, but now I see it. Thanks for mentioning that. And thanks for the compliments on the bed and pics. We've had that bed for almost 14 years and I still love it.

paint chips--You make some good points and I agree about the Asian feel of the red lamp. Do you think it's the base that makes it feel that way? I like the lamp you linked and if the colors were not green and orange, it would be a very stong contender. Size and shape are perfect.

Becky--(I did remember the correct name, didn't I?) Thanks for looking for lamps, but this time I think I want to stay away from metal and let the bed stand on it's own.

igloochic--Glad you like the fabric. And I completely understand what you're saying about the pair of lamps. Even tho the nightstands are a pair, you think two different lamps would look OK? I know if the two nightstands are different then 2 different lamps is definitely the way to go. The other thing that worries me is, if I'm having so much trouble choosing one lamp, what will I do to myself if I have to choose two!!!

jant--I thought of crystal at one point, but thought I needed more weight. Perhaps I should revisit that thought.

kmcg--You're right on with the height of the lamp I need. 30" would be perfect.

my3dogs--Thanks for all the lamp choices and for looking at the other colorways. Do you really think red is the color I should add to the mix? What about a light blue?

les--Thanks for the lamp suggestion and I do agree with you about the price of the lamp and the size of the shade.

roseabbey--I also thought of using a black lamp, but after bringing home the cream colored lamp, I like the lighter color lamp on the darker color furniture. Altho, maybe a black lamp with a fun shade might work.

yayagal--Again, great shape and size, but not sure about the colors. I should keep checking Overstock. You never know what you'll find.

So, do I move ahead and use the Nassau Vine for drapery panels and let the lamp decision go for awhile, or do I rethink this whole color scheme? As you can see, I'm quite frustrated right now.

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, sorry I missed you alwaysnesting. I really like the red, white and black combo too, but I have the yellow walls! Maybe I should find lamps I like, add a solid color coverlet to go with the lamps and then repaint. Is that crazy?

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

I think the one in the link below would look fabulous in your room. I found it on lampstore.com, which had several I think would look great.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery lamp

• donnawb
    14 years ago

Red would look great with the colors that you have now. Don't need to change every thing. Your lamp is out there.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I agree with dd50...your lamp is out there. Maybe take a break and don't rush it. You know the style and color and height you want, so just enjoy shopping for it. Look through magazines that feature the decor style you like and keep surfing the web, something will turn up. Sometimes if you are looking for the color and shape of something, you can make an example out of construction paper and prop it up to view from a distance...sometimes colored paper plates are helpful to build a mockup.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Another suggestion is a darker lampshade if you want to keep the base light. Also, a gourd shape is popular right now. I saw several in HG yesterday in different colors. They were very nice. Also, mercury glass bases are hot. I am beginning to see more and more in the stores. With a black shade!

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dee--Thanks for the link. I like that lamp and believe it or not, that's one website I haven't looked at!

dd50 & vampiressrn--Thanks for the encouragement. I do think I need to take a break and work on another project. Many times, it's when you're not looking that you find exactly what you need.

kmcg--I think I saw the exact gourd shaped lamps at HG that you're talking about. I may have to go back and take a second look.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Let me just toss this out to you, as I think our headboards are fairly similar...
    Jan suggested crystal lamps, what would you think about something like mine?
    $19.95 or so, TJ Maxx.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Loribee, oh what a lovely room!

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Loribee--That is a beautiful room. It looks like a magazine picture. I was at Home Goods today and saw similar lamps.

So, speaking of Home Goods, I bought a black lamp there just to try for color and shape. If I would keep this lamp, I would have to buy a new shade because the shade that comes with it has a silver and black design on the inside and when the lamp is lit, doesn't provide much light in the room.
    {{gwi:1566071}}
    {{gwi:1566072}}

Then I stopped at Goodwill and actually found a lamp I had looked at last week was still there!! I like this lamp (for $7.00!!) and will keep it regardless of whether or not I use it in the bedroom. It, of course, didn't come with a shade or even a harp, but I'd rather choose my own shade anyway. Please note, the shade I put on the lamp is just one from another lamp around the house and I know it is too small.
    {{gwi:1566073}}
    {{gwi:1566074}}

I know many are encouraging me to go with a pop of color with the lamps, but there's still a part of me that likes the soft, relaxing cream and black in the room. Also, I think the pictures don't show the true relation of the size of the headboard to the size of the lamps. The two I just posted are both around 28" tall and seem pretty good to my IRL eye. Any opinions on the latest two choices???

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I like everything about the black lamp Barb. It's adorable. Too bad you'd have to replace the shade because the shape is great. What's the max size of bulb it will take? Could that make a difference in getting enough light from it? I take it you read in bed. I know I do.
    I certainly can understand not wanting to repeat the metal. When I have an idea in my head it's pretty much impossible to change it, so I completely understand.
    The Goodwill lamp is adorable too, but I love how the black matches the frames above your bed.
    I was just at Target today and they have some of their shades on clearance. Some lamps too.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

You did get my name right. I'm Becky.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Yup! Those are the lamps I was referring to and considering for my DD's room. They had a lightish blue/gray gourd shape that would go great with her new bedding, but they only had one! I'll have to check the other HG's in my area. I like the black in your room. I'm sure you can find the perfect shade for it!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I just came home from Target and I saw a black lamp with a white shade that had a black band around the bottom and top. I thought of your lamp and how nice that would look by giving your shade some presence too! I linked below. It is on the first page. You could always glue black ribbon on yourself!

Here is a link that might be useful: cute lamp shade