Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

Keep Original Hardwood or Rip it Up?

colorblind1961
10 years ago

Hi all....haven't posted here in a while, but know this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I am finally putting in hardwoods on my lower level. I live in a typical Center Hall Colonial with a fairly large Foyer, Dining Room to the right, Formal Living Room to the left, Kitchen and Great Room straight ahead of Foyer.

My Foyer, 2 Foyer Closets and Powder Room all have the original 2 1/4" beveled Red Oak Hardwood the builder put in 13 years ago (approx. 225sq. ft.). I got several quotes to keep the original Red Oak in the Foyer and just add and match with non-beveled edge Red Oak to the Dining Room and Formal Living Room. The contractors said I would notice a slight difference between the beveled and non-beveled edge, but everything else will look good and match.

I also got quotes to rip the original Red oak out and replace everything with all new flooring...engineered handscraped... great price, but a little more than the above option.

My question to you.....has anyone kept their original flooring and then matched the rest? Can you REALLY notice a difference between the beveled and non-beveled edge?

Here's a picture with a little bit of my Foyer showing the Red Oak Flooring

Here's another one showing a little of the Red Oak, with my Dining Room which is carpeted.

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The more modern the hardwood the less hard the wood. I would stick with the original even if it doesn't match exactly...no one will notice and the quality is bound to be much better.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Ditto. If your original is solid wood, I wouldn't replace it with engineered.

• homersmom
    10 years ago

Our house was built in '99 and we had hardwood installed in the foyer, kitchen, breakfast room and back hall. Last year we added hardwood to the dining room and sitting room. Our floor guy was able to get us the same flooring, but the bevel and sheen are a bit different. The new floors have less sheen and less bevel, but you really don't notice it. Here's a pic of the area where the foyer meets the sitting room.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I agree with the others, leave it. Just wanted to add that your flooring looks a lot like my white oak. Are you sure it's red oak?

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.....not only does it make sense budget wise, but hearing your feedback and seeing an example seals the deal for me.

Annz....All 3 contractors I got quotes from confirmed my floor is Red Oak....took them a while to decifer...they had to pull up floor registers and look at a cross cut of the wood to make the determination.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

If it is real hardwood, I would keep it. I hate the engineered hardwood. I had real hardwood for years and now I have that "engineered" hardwood (leftover sawdust pulverized to imitate hardwood) and it is nothing like real hardwood. However, it is better than smelly dusty carpet.

• peegee
    10 years ago

patricia,my daughter installed Brazilian cherry engineered floors and they are beautiful; the tops are a sandable layer of the real actual wood....

• patricianat
    10 years ago

But not all engineered hardwood are as beautiful as your daughter's, probably.

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The engineered flooring I'm looking at is also very nice...I have a sample...handscraped...top layer is sandable also.

{{!gwi}}

• jmc01
    10 years ago

We added white oak hardwood to original 1919 white oak. Oil based finished provided a very close match and now that it's aged a few years, it's almost a perfect match.

Keep the original!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've read that there are some engineered floors that are more scratch resistant & durable than hardwood. They can be resanded one time? That would be my concern.
    Your sample is beautiful. How wide are the planks?

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Your hardwood people should be able to match the bevel in the original. I was able to match

I thought it would be impossible. Here's my pooch straddling the transition between 75 year old random plank, beveled rift sawn white oak and new oak. The variation you see is intentional, to emulate the color variation in the original.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Patricia, maybe you haven't checked out engineered HW lately. It's certainly not ground up sawdust! There are products out now that are equally as good, sometimes better, than the traditional hardwood flooring that used to be one's only choice.

It's a bit ignorant to make such a sweeping comment on something without actually basing your statement on the facts, IMO.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Is considering new wood for integrating your decor? New wood in my house would throw the style off. I'd keep the old wood if possible. Personal opinion to liking the character of what was and restoring if necessary.

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy.....The Engineered Handscraped is 4 3/4" wide.

Gooster....Your floor looks great and your furbaby is adorable!

Technicolor....Actually we are planning to sell our house within 2 years, and the feedback I have received from Realtors has prompted me to do this.....yes the new color would throw all of my decorating off.

With all of your responses, I am pretty sure I'm keeping my old Red Oaks and going with a match.

• romy718
    10 years ago

In that case, I would do what works best for your decor & your taste. I believe the wider planks are currently more popular for new wood installations but you ever know what a new homeowner's preferences are going to be.