Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smi_smile

Painted wall, before and after pics

smi_smile
16 years ago

This was my first attempt at painting a wall, and I wanted to do some faux finishing - sponging (It was ambitious for a paint novice, but I was told it was easy as pie- I realized, a little too late, what a lie that was!!). I was aiming for a warm tuscany look. This was what it looked like before:

The base color was a dark red/brick. I tried sponging on a lighter color, but it ended up looking like small dots all over; patchy and ugly. I panicked and was ready to repaint it the base color. But then I decided to smear the (still-wet) patches around, and I liked what that looked like, so I did that all over. It still looks patchy, and not very professional (will probably have to repaint when it is time to sell our house; it probably won't appeal to most people); but it is close to the look I was going for- cozy, warm and rustic looking.

The mirror was the first thing I bought for our new house; now I need to find a few more Tuscan-looking accessories; maybe some wall sconces, or a vine; any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

Comments (26)

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I think you did a great job. It is very pretty and I like it with the mirror/wrought iron.

Maybe you should do it on the other walls too!

• User
    16 years ago

I think it looks really nice!!! I also like the mirror!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

If that was your first attempt at faux painting, then you did a great job! I like the color. The Meditteranian feel comes through! If you wanted it a bit darker, then you could go over it with some umber glaze. Love your mirror! I would replace the silver finish lamp with something like a buffet lamp or two in a darker bronze finish. Or a grouping of chunky candlesticks (3) in varying heights. A small vase or basket of greenery also. I would also replace the wicker basket with a small tray in a dark finish if this is in a foyer, to catch keys, mail, etc. You've done a great job!

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Caroleoh, I do think I need to paint the other walls too; but I was scared to do that; the one wall seemed a little less daunting. I will do the other walls too, at a later date.
    Thanks, Sheesharee, I lovvve the mirror too; it really looks like a window , and I love the wrought iron look.
    Thanks, kmcg85; I do want to change the lamp, just not sure what kind of lamp I would need, do you have any examples? I like the candlestick idea, and I think I will add a plant or two. I actually do have a box in a dark finish that belongs there, but it also holds mail, and looks a little cluttered at the moment :D

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Something along the lines of this? Tall and skinny! Like I wish I were! This is from Lampsplus. There are oodles of them to choose from if this particular one doesn't appeal to you!
    {{!gwi}}

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Really, really nice paint job!

• jlsch
    16 years ago

Do you mind sharing where you got the mirror? It's great and you did a wonderful

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wigardenerwannabe, I got the mirror at Bombay; but they have gone out of business now :( But I have seen similar mirrors at many websites/stores.
    I just googled 'mirror window wrought iron' and got this: http://lightingbygregory.com/lighting/product/um-13117p.html?lbgc=ntag_172194
    It's much more expensive than the one I got at Bombay (I got it for less than $100 I think)
    Hope that helps!

• User
    16 years ago

I think you did a great job! It really works well with that awesome mirror!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

You did a great job at faux painting. Much better than I could do. Which technique did you use?

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, brutuses
    I don't know if there is a name for the technique i used- let's just call it a panic-induced smearing technique. :-D I intended to use the sponging technique; I was told it was easy; that even a painting novice like me could do it. The base color was a dark red/brick. I tried sponging on a lighter color, but it ended up looking like small dots all over; patchy and ugly. I panicked and was ready to repaint it the base color. But then I decided to smear the (still-wet) patches around, and I liked what that looked like, so I did that all over. It still looks patchy, and not very professional (will probably have to repaint when it is time to sell our house; it probably won't appeal to most people); but it is close to the look I was going for- cozy, warm and rustic looking.

• catbird
    16 years ago

Wonderful job! Do you hire out?

Have you considered painting the switch plate under the table? I think you can just paint over the whole thing, plugs and all.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love that mirror so much that looks like a window! I also think you did a wonderful job. I love the lamp for that console that kmcg85 posted.

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Your wall and mirror is just beautiful.

I guess I am into mirrors at this stage and went looking for one similar to yours. This one looks kind of like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Mirror

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

Beautiful job. Congrats! I have done a lot of painting, faux, etc. over the years and usually as soon as I am done I look at it and say --- what have I done! --- I always find it is better to walk away for a little while. I always see the things I thing I did wrong - a little heavy on color here, a little light there. My eye is always drawn to what I think are my mistakes. I once painted an entire 18 x 18 room over because I thought I had really screwed up. In retrospect, I should have left it. It would have been fine. So when you finsih such a dramatic change, step back, take a few breaths. It always takes me some time to "adjust" to something new.
    On another project, try a darker base coat with a lighter color on top. That is a beautiful effect as well.
    Your wall is beautiful - and I too love that mirror.

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, catbird. I was wondering what I could do with the switchboard. Can I paint over it with the same paint I used on the wall? I just was a little scared, didn't want anything going into the plug points.
    lynn2006, that lamp is really beautiful, and I think it would look good there; I dont know if it will be too tall, though.
    texaspanhandler, I love mirrors too!! I dont have enough in my house!
    Thanks, no-green-thumb. You are very right, I was very critical while painting; I didnt take a step back, like you suggest, and almost painted it over; I am so glad I didnt. My base coat was a darker color here. Did you mean to ask me to try a darker color on top?

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

I like the wall, but please, I beg you, swap out that outlet cover for one that you can paint to match the wall. It's the first thing my eye went to.

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

That is the nicest faux paint job I have seen yet. You really have a knack for it. I tried sponge painting once and it was laughable so I know it's a lot harder than it looks. But your technique is so perfect I would have thought it was wallpaper. Don't be surprised if visitors want to hire you!

I love the mirror and table too, especially nice is that slight curve the legs have. Are you planning on leaving the gates closed on the mirror or open?

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ideefixe, does that mean I cannot paint over regular outlet covers; and need to buy a special one?
    flyingflower, thanks! The doors on the mirrors are held together by the latch in the middle, and if I open the latch, the door on the right opens on its own and rests in the position in the picture. I kind of like it that way. I like one side closed as I like the look of the iron on the mirror, and one side open enhances the feel of a window.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Fantastic job! Wow, what an inspiration. This is a great example of the beauty of faux painting, as you have achieved, IMO, a better look than wallpaper - customized as you like it. It's beautiful, and you should be proud. the mirror is also fitting and eye-catching. Well done!

Jan

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

You did a great job! If you want, get some antique glaze, it's brown, and dab on some of the glaze here and there. Will add another layer of depth, and because it's glaze, will be very subtle.

I'd go with a chunkier lamp. The legs on the console are a bit thin for Tuscan, so maybe you could find some gorgeous textile and use it as a table drape? Some purple, yellow, and olive green would be perfect. I wouldn't add any vines, but bring in a wooden box or a ceramic bowl to hold keys, mail, etc. Not the wicker basket.

Tuscan is sumptuous and abundant, you've definitely nailed the wall treatment, and that mirror is awesome.

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jan. I did consider wallpaper; but I was a little hesitant to do that as I had never done it before, and I read how hard they were to remove.
    Thanks, pesky1; I will look into a glaze coat. Actually, the wall does look like it has a glaze coating on it (a few days later) - the top color has a golden hue; I love it.
    Yeah, I will need to get a new lamp. I am not very sure what kind of furniture has a Tuscan look; I will have to read up on that. The fabric idea does appeal to me.

• smi_smile
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jan. I did consider wallpaper; but I was a little hesitant to do that as I had never done it before, and I read how hard they were to remove.
    Thanks, pesky1; I will look into a glaze coat. Actually, the wall does look like it has a glaze coating on it (a few days later) - the top color has a golden hue; I love it.
    Yeah, I will need to get a new lamp. I am not very sure what kind of furniture has a Tuscan look; I will have to read up on that. The fabric idea does appeal to me.

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

Wow, that wall is beautiful! Please don't think it doesn't look professional because it's just beautiful! You're your own worst critic. Love it! Why don't my endeavors turn out this good?

• graywings123
    16 years ago

That is just lovely.

For the outlet cover, spray paint it with primer and you are good to go with faux painting it to match the wall.

• amcofar
    16 years ago

Wow! That looks fantastic! This is the look I'd love to create for a guest bath. I've removed the wallpaper, so the walls are a bit marred. The look youÂve created on your wall would mask the irregularities on my walls and make my bathroom look great. Thanks for sharing.