Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

exterior shade for privacy at night?

susanwrites
9 years ago

I used to be pretty active over here with our last house. We sold that one and bought a fixer-upper (emphasis on the fixer) so I will be VERY active here again as soon as we get those keys next week. :)

In the meantime, I am making lists and drawings and doing research. One issue is with the windows in the main living area. While there are no sight lines directly into the house, hubby still wants something to cover the windows at night. I am loathe to put window treatments up, especially right away, but the view is nice (and will improve as we put in the native garden) so I was thinking about perhaps a motorized exterior shade to roll down at night. Are there any that folks have and like that give privacy?

Here is a crummy pic from the main room, the area that most concerns hubby.

{{gwi:2138874}}

Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'll admit I know nothing about exterior shades but motorized ones especially sound very expensive. And if you do decide to do window treatments down the road they will be redundant. Also, would it be possible for someone to pry them open to see in?

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would do Roman shades, hanging them high enough so that the bottom just covers the top of the window so you will have your full views during the day.

Congratulations on the new house and have fun fixing it up.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love your windows. I have suggested outdoor motorized shades for light/sun control a couple of times here, for windows that are so beautiful that it would be a shame to use indoor coverings. Most people respond that they don't like the look of windows that look like big black holes at night and prefer some coverings. I don't have any window coverings and solve that problem at my house with some outdoor lighting, which lets me enjoy the garden at night and provides a lovely, soft light through the windows.

But if the dark windows at night won't bother you and you want nothing on the interior, I think motorized shades are a great solution. I have one on a west facing window in my dining room and love it. I only use it a few weeks out of the year, when the sun is high in the sky in summer, but it works great. I had it hung way up above the window, hidden by the eaves, so it is not at all visible when it's open. However, it is NOT a privacy shade. Most are not, but I did find this place and maybe there are others.

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor privacy shades

• annac54
    9 years ago

I lived in Europe for a time and they have rolling exterior shutters there that are very nice (almost everyone has them). This is probably overkill for what you are looking for, but thought I would mention them. If you live in a northern climate and need to block out light in the summer, they work pretty well, and at night in the winter, help keep your house warmer.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Look at "bottom-up" shades - they pull up from the bottom and would give your husband the privacy he wants and not block the view of the sky. As the garden grows you'll use them less and less.

Exterior shades are like an armed camp :(

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

several snow birders in our area (se mi) use them for security while out of town...but they look like exactly what they are....

thnk lazygardens suggestion is a comfortable one for sure...I can see the use of something if your lr is in constant use...if not, and the view is excellent, stay bare...

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for giving me a lot to think about. This is the room we will be in most of the time so there is a lot to consider, especially since we will be integrating the garage area into the main living area and adding even more windows. (Previous owners did a studio conversion but we want to pull it into part of the house) So there will be more windows with more view and more to think about how to deal with.

I had duettes at the last house which did go up very small at the top so that's another option but it will be a small fortune to do all the windows. :)

This post was edited by susanwrites on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 22:34

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was thinking duettes, but if you don't want to spend the money, then you can do roller shades. They can provide privacy, room darkening and insulation. If you don't want to see the roller part, then you can make a small fabric valance or even a plain wooden valance to hide the roller part...it won't block much of the window at all.

{{gwi:2138875}}

[Midcentury Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2115) by Dallas Design-Build Firms Bauhaus Custom Homes

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

A home is easiest to see in when the inside light is greater than the outside. During the day one does not SEE the inside of homes like one does when driving at night and curtains have not been drawn. I am wondering if there is a way to light up the outside of the house with spots that would be bright enough no one could see in? My first reaction to outside shades was also "armed encampment". I can't help but wonder if those in Europe with them, if they are hold overs from bomb raid/black out times. Probably not--but that is what came to mind first. There are windows one can buy with internal shades or some gas that when turned on turns into an opaque barrier. Crazy expensive, no doubt. Good luck, it sounds like you and DH will need to find a compromise.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I can't help but wonder if those in Europe with them, if they are hold overs from bomb raid/black out times.

No, it's a security thing.

My parents lived in in a suburb of Brussels in the early '80s. Their house (built to be rented to Americans, with actual closets!) had the roll-down metal blinds Anna refers to. Frankly, they looked no different from the metal roll-down security blinds which are used primarily in dangeous neighborhoods here ... though without the graffiti.

My parents thought they were horrid-looking, but were told that if they didn't use them when they left the house (no matter how briefly), the house would be burgled. And then the insurance company wouldn't pay, because the security blinds hadn't been used.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anne roller shades with a valance are another option indeed. Thanks so much.

There will be lighting outside as well but unsure as to where and amounts until, of course, we take ownership next week. Thanks for giving me something to think about. I'm so anxious to get started but it will be a while before we can do many fun things inside since there are structure things to be done first plus the unfun but needed steps to switch over from septic to sewer.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

No, it's a security thing.

I think it is dual purpose - security and blackout. In many parts of Europe it is light out quite late during the summer time. The exterior roller shades are really wonderful for creating a dark room.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I had some exterior motorized sunshades priced about 10 years ago and they were crazy expensive, About 10k as I recall, for less surface area than shown in your pic. I imagine they'd cost more these days.

However much interior shades cost, they're likely 1/10th the price of exterior motorized shades. Another option to consider since you have so many windows is interior motorized honeycomb blinds. I have those in my master bedroom and they're very convenient - just push a button to open and close them. They close really tight so they don't take up much space when closed. Opening and closing a bunch of shades/blinds manually is a bit of a pita to do twice a day.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

Amending my previous post - I was thinking about it a little more and I realized that I'm actually fuzzy on how much the quote for those external motorized shades were. I remember they were very expensive, but I'm not sure if that 10k figure is accurate.

• amykath
    9 years ago

My last house had a wall of windows. I found some lovely woven shades at a great price on overstock. They are on the page I am linking. They have a million great options at affordable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades

• amykath
    9 years ago

These are the ones I purchased. The color is far more subdued than in the photo. They read more of a khaki.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roller shades