Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Did I over can my ceilings?

amykath
9 years ago

I am posting a photo of one side of the vaulted ceiling. It is the shorter length of the room. There are four 4 inch cans and the same on the opposite side. Is this overkill?

I know some of you hate cans so, I am sure I will hear from you guys. If I did overdo it on recessed lighting can you suggest what you would move or change? There will be a a chandelier in the middle of the room. The ceilings are 10 and arch up to about 16 at the arc. The room is 25'2' inches by 20'8".

Here is the pic of one side of the vaulted ceiling.

Comments (27)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is our draft from architect.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

aktillery: If you haven`t checked this yet here is a quick guide for determining size of chandelier for a room. These formulas are pretty standard but are just guidelines. The only thing this doesn`t mention is leaving 7`of headroom for a chandelier in a foyer or family room (as opposed to over a DR table)

oops - I meant to put this on your other thread about your chosen chandelier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Size of chandelier for a room

This post was edited by blfenton on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 15:59

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think I would do it any differently because of the beams

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am good on the chandy size. It's the cans I worry about. Are there too many? The entire ceiling will be for boards and beams. I don't want to ruin the lovely wood with too many cans.

• lee676
    9 years ago

If you haven't already done it, install the trim kits and light bulbs you plan to use and be sure the brightness and beam spread is what you want. If it isn't, it's still easy to move them around before the ceilings get drywalled until the lighting is perfect.

And no, you're not even close to having too many cans.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Depending on what style of trim ring you have, you may want to paint them in a tone to match the wood ceiling.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew. Thanks mnt and lee!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is the plan for sure Pal. Thanks for your input.

• User
    9 years ago

You don't have enough for me :-)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Chandelier seems a bit small.

• pps7
    9 years ago

We have 6 x 5" in a smaller room 17x18. It's not too much. Ours are on a dimmer and we have lamps in the room too.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Beverly, I hope you are wrong!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Not too many. You should see what I did to my kitchen! I LOVE it. I don't know why I waited too long to add more.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Worst comes to worst, I'll get a larger one.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

We have high ceilings with slopes, and the cans aren't noticeable at all. Not all of them are on the same light switch, and they all dim.

They come in handy in large rooms when you need task or ambience lighting.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You could go 45-48" diameter easily in a room this size, so Beverly is probably right about this fixture being too small. Does it come in a larger version?

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Not at all! I have tons of canned lights and I absolutely love them. I had an architect make up the plans also.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a back up plan for the chandy. I could always use the "one over my dining room table or in a bedroom. Or just return it. No larger version. Wah!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This one is 45" in diameter

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I have so many cans it's like a well lit airport runway! Not too many for you, AK.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a couple within my budget. A little over 43" wide and 51" tall.

Thanks Beverly. That's a lovely chandy!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure I'd use the shades or which finish would look better with my fir wood and beam ceilings.

Thoughts?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is the silence due to the fact no one likes these?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I once walked in a home that was being remodeled, and there were so many can lights it looked like a runway! Don't do overkill!

I love the fixture with the black shades!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Patty!!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Too ordinary compared to the one that you originally posted.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. I just returned a smaller fixture to get a 300 refund. I'll be adding that to my budget. I will take my time. We have both a Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware outlet only 20 miles away. I'm going to keep my eyes on them!!