Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cozyfarmhouse

Do these lamps work?

cozyfarmhouse
9 years ago

Or are they too large?

I was hoping the glass base would keep them from looking huge, but I'm not quite sure...

Comments (25)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think they work incredibly well!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I think they work also. What I think might help balance them is if you 'fluff' the bed a bit. The lamps are large and not overwhelming because of the glass but they have a visual mass - fluffiness in a sense - that needs to be carried elsewhere. I'm not seeing the rest of the room of course, but pictures on the walls would help also.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 16:11

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think they are perfect in that room!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would want a more slender base... the ht looks good tho!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like the lamps but I think they look a little big, esp. the one on the right, which might be the more accurate look.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

love the lamps and love how they look but b/c of their size, there seems to be little surface space for anything else. I have to have a glass of water, hand lotion, book, maybe my cell phone, wouldn't work for me. But if it works for you, enjoy!

• mdrive
    9 years ago

love your room! and the side tables are wonderful....i really like the lamps as well, but i do think they look just a bit too large (the base) especially the one on the smaller table...such a pretty space!

potterybarn has a similar lamp that have a smaller footprint

(but i think your lamps are prettier! edited to add, the poster who suggested 'fluffing' up the bedding might work to balance the lamps a bit better )

Here is a link that might be useful: glass table lamps

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love them!!

• theclose
    9 years ago

I think they look great! But, as others have said, if you need more space on the nightstand then you should either get bigger nightstands or smaller lamps. Me, I would keep them and just put less stuff on the nightstand!

• cozyfarmhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I'm a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to selecting lamps. I was drawn to the linen shades and seeded glass (and the 40% off clearance price at Sundance Catalog helped too) but didn't expect them to be quite so big when I pulled them out of the box this morning.

I'll see if I can "fluff" the bed up a bit more. The lack of surface area on the tables isn't a problem for us, so I think we'll live with them for a while and see how they feel.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

They do seem to take up quite a bit of tabletop space but I really like how they work with the other elements in the room. Very pretty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The room is lovely, the shades are great, the clear glass is fine, but the base is too large, esp on the far table where there is no room for anything else....it's looking a little precarious. I'd give these a close, but no cigar.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the lamps but they are crowding the night tables, especially the left one. Do they come in a smaller size? As lovely as lamps may be they still should not dominate the landscape.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Love the lamps. Height is great. Tables could be larger. Fluff the bed and double the amount of curtains on the rods. When the curtains are closed, they shouldn't be so flat in appearance, there should still be substantial gathers to make them appear fuller in appearance. Then the room will appear lush and lovely.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I think that they are very pretty but not practical for me. I would have to get out of bed to turn them off each night. Due to the distance from the bed, they also might not shed enough light to read. In a guest room those things would be mildly annoying. In my every night room they would be intolerable. I have mounted swing arm lamps beside my bed to deal with those two issues.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I love them! What on earth is everyone putting on their bedside tables? There is still plenty of room for all the stuff I would have, a glass, small clock, a few books.

I like the oversize scale of them, the base of glass balances that out. Keeper!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

They look great in that room! I for one think they are perfect and can't think of any other style that would be any better.

• cozyfarmhouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional suggestions and comments!

I've added a second layer of pillows and ordered a small body pillow to fill a long narrow "case" that came with a vintage sheet set. I'll prop it in front of the stacked pillows and see how it looks.

I also moved the smaller table over so the shades are now equidistance from the bedpost. They have a roller switch on the cord so they are easy to access from the bed, no need to get up to shut them off. I also set my eyeglasses and cell phone on the right side table for this photo, that's all I put there at night, and I think there is plenty of room. The left table only needs space for a cell phone, but I will keep an eye out for something a little larger for that side of the bed.

We must be oddballs, we never read in bed. There is also no TV and we don't have laptops so no computer use while in bed either. So, really, we don't *need* a bedside light source. I just wanted to pretty the room up a little and add some height to the tables.

I'll think about adding some additional fabric on the windows, too, as Beverly27 suggested. The curtains are actually vintage muslin sheets, so it would be fairly easy and cheap to beef them up a bit more.

A fluffier duvet might look nice, but I'd be roasting all night so this will have to do for now.

This post was edited by CozyFarmhouse on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 16:26

• teacats
    9 years ago

LOVE the lamps -- and a very pretty room! :)

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Pretty room! I like the lamps and where your room is tonal and quiet I think the glass stands out as an accent and adds luster.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Here is where real life and how you live comes head to head with 'decorating'. Your room is lovely. The aesthetic is simple, not bare or spare. It has your needs covered. I like the idea of more fabric at the windows. The extra pillows add a little oomph to balance the lamps (but do you use them or toss them to the floor to sleep? Something decorative in shams would fluff further, but that's decorating, and it's a pain (IMO) to remove and replace a pillow from a sham that's used daily. If you don't use it and it's just decorative, then it's tossed to the floor or chair, which is fine if you aren't bothered by that. You have a duvet filled with a comforter or blanket that suits your warmth needs and a throw tossed on the foot board if you need more. A fluffier comforter within that duvet cover would look, well fluffier! But that is also decorating and might not be comfortable for your sleep needs. We all have to balance how much decorating we want to do versus how we really live. I want to live in spaces that are pleasing to my eye but the older I get the less inclined I am to 'fluff' beyond a certain point no matter how things might be improved visually. The only other suggestion I would make is *possibly* a small rug by the side(s) of the bed that could add a bit of texture (maybe soft color if you're so inclined) and another layer of fluffing. But perhaps that's because it's about 10 degrees here!! I like my feet to land on something other than a cold floor before I get my slippers on :-)

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Love the lamps as well as the whole room! Very cozy!

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

LOVE the lamps. I think your room is perfect and lovely as is. It suits your purposes and aesthetic. It's not overly decorated and doesn't look like you're trying too hard. My kind of bedroom. :)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner