Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

Help choosing plate behind range, please?

fouramblues
10 years ago

Having some fresh eyes on this one decorating decision would be very helpful. Not an earth-shattering decision, but one that's giving me difficulty...

My kitchen is mostly warm neutrals, and the accent color is aqua/spa. The first plate goes very well with this color scheme. The second does not, but I love it. Which do you like best?

First:

Second:

(The colors are off in all the photos, but you can see the relative differences.)

Any thoughts?

Comments (50)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I prefer the first one.....but why not acquire a small collection and change them out periodically?

• mzdee
    10 years ago

I agree. Choose and use several over time. Its a great idea as you can swap them out with ease. I put a medallion behind my range. It is actually a tin ceiling tile. I bought 2 different ones when I ordered them so that I could swap when I wanted. They go up with sticky tabs. I love the idea of a "portable" option. Both plates are beautiful and it is great to have options that don't involve dust, tape, and a dismantled kitchen :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

First one.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I like the Imari plate.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not usually one to change up my decor, except for Christmas decorations, but maybe I could try that. I actually have one more platter that might work, so I've already got something of a collection!

ineffable, good eye! Number two is an antique 18" Imari platter. Heavy as all get out. I inherited it from my Grandma, and it hung in her dining room for most of her long life. Very fond memories associated with that platter. Displaying it is less nerve wracking to me because I'm told it's essentially worthless since it fell of Grandma's wall and broke in several places.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Sorry - but in my opinion neither plate really sets off your gorgeous kitchen ..... perhaps check around the potters on Etsy.com ... look for a raku-fired neutral-toned platter or perhaps an aqua plate that picks up the colors of your canisters.

But I do agree that switching around your accent platter/s would be a great idea .... and lots of fun to keep a rotation of wonderful pottery or china platters ....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

As plates go, I prefer the 2nd, but neither of them contain the aqua that you want to use as an accent in the room...I'd get a plate that has aqua as a definite color in it like in your cannister set and spoon rest.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the second one. With your beautiful kitchen my mind automatically went to the pretty accent plates that I picked up at Macy's while vacationing this past summer. The pic doesn't do it justice as the blue IRL is definitely aqua and not the blue that it appears on my monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: This would look awesome

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay, that plate is pretty! But my style is more rustic, so maybe I'll save my pennies and get a pottery platter along these lines:

I think Annie and tea cats are right. While I love both platters, neither is just right in my space, so I've got to keep looking. I will find a different way to display my beloved Imari.

Thanks to all for playing along! Of course, I'm not ruling out more suggestions if there are any more!

This post was edited by fouramblues on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 18:04

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Id get rid of the aqua accents and use the Imari. Nothing can trump history.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Ooooh I like the pottery piece Fouram.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I agree about using the Imari and eliminating the aqua if you are going to use either. I think the sunflower looks seasonal.

However, I once saw a house in "Your Home with Kitty Bartholmew" (which was the wrong pronoun but who am I to change the name of the program) that had aqua and Imari and it was beautiful. I would have never dreamed it so, but it was. It may have been the lighting or whatever, but it was very pretty.

However, I think with busy granite and the Imari intricacy, the aqua is OTT. I am not fond of the aqua with your granite.

Do you have to have a plate there, or could you have a collection of small, colorful glass spice jars, or something really neat like clear spice bottles with spices.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think they hog the shelf and detract from the kitchen. Spice jars or some other cooking-related objects are a good suggestion.

• springroz
    10 years ago

To me, the Imari is too big. The oval will look cute in the middle of Summer, and I love the platter fouramblues posted!

And the kitchen is SO pretty!

Nancy

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

I also like the spice shelf idea. I, personally, would rather spend a little extra on something decorative and functional. You could get really creative with simple, gorgeous containers for spices and other food items. Pastas, flours, etc.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love that you appreciate the history of the Imari, mtn! I will display it somewhere nice for sure! I also have neat vintage Ball canning jars, and other aqua pieces in the kitchen from my Grandma.

patricia, I googled Kitty B to try to see what you described, no luck. And funny about the aqua, I chose it specifically because it's a complementary color to the island CT, which has orange undertones!

Nancy, I agree that the Imari is too big, so I'll be looking for something about the size of the sunflower.

may_flowers and Mmmbeeer, I'm a function over form type, so spice jars would seem a perfect solution, but I'm also a very mess cook. Lots of small jars would drive me nuts, since I'd constantly have to wash each one.

If the platter I posted weren't so expensive I'd buy it right away. As it is, I'll put the sunflower behind the range and keep an eye out for the right piece at the right price. Then there's always my birthday in October!

Thanks for the feedback!

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

Neither plate adds to the beautiful kitchen you have.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

First, it's a beautiful kitchen and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it! I'm also interested in seeing more of the fabric in the shade over the sink. Maybe neither plate is the "perfect" fit but I love the idea of a plate in that space. If I had to chose between the two, I'd pick the first.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I really like the Imari, and I don't think it looks to big. My first thought when I looked at the photos was that the proportions of the Imari were better for your space than the first plate. If it's valuable, though, I might be a little worried about the heat/grease from the stove. Beautiful kitchen!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice and the kind words about my kitchen!

arapaho, here's the whole kit(chen) and kaboodle on a messy day:

(There's no finished kitchen post on the kitchen forum. I still mean to do that, but want to work on the rugs and chairs first! Also, my cabs are not green, it's just a bad photo.)

The fabric on the shades is Samoan plantation, and I got it at Calico Corner.

WMA89, since the Imari is broken the only value it has is sentimental, and it's OK to get a little grease on my sentiments! ;)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edited to remove photo, then edited again to say this: LOL, thought I had double posted, but just posted same photo as arapaho at almost the same time!

This post was edited by fouramblues on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 23:05

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Thank you for the full kitchen view - what a wonderful space!

Maybe the fabric can help with plate ideas...

• teeda
    10 years ago

fouramblues--sorry, I missed the part about it falling off grandmother's wall and smashing into pieces. That is was lovingly glued back together, and passed on to a grandaughter, makes even it more valuable in my book!!

My grandmother had a lifelong tremor that worsened as she got older. Pretty much every piece of porcelain or china in her house had a chip in it. Each of us has a few of her things, and I love those chips and dings more every year, in the unconditional way I felt she always loved us!

Thanks for sharing the kitchen pics--what a beautiful space!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Great minds (haha)....fouramblues, I must have been trying to add the fabric photo at the same time you were!

BTW, the fabric looks so nice with your cabinetry, backsplash and flooring.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WMA, what a sweet story! Yes, better to have cosmetically less than perfect mementos with lots of good feelings associated.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I tried searching last evening for platters/plates but didn't come up with anything reasonable in price that might work... but I'm enjoying the "hunt". I guess I love pottery/dishes and there are many beautiful pieces out there in addition to the two pretty ones you have already.

The first platter you displayed seems like a good size - would you agree? If so, how large is it?

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arapaho, thanks for helping me with the hunt! I JUST got a new runner, and it changes the emphasis of the color palette a lot:

I like the plate there now as a placeholder, though it's too small (12.5"). I do like the size of the flower platter, 12.5"x17."5, or I'd be happy with 14"-16" round. Found lots of pretty platters on etsy, most too expensive.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

The colors of the first platter went well with the pottery on the counter, especially the blue and the earth tones, but there's something jarring about the design and it doesn't complement your kitchen.

The new runner is perfect - the colors look great with your shade too.

Would you share where you found it? I have to replace 2 runners in my kitchen because my dog has decided that she likes to eat the fringe. She doesn't bother the rugs without fringe so now I'm hunting new runners.

Your kitchen is stunning - I love it.
    Maire

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you maire_cate! I agree about the flower platter. I thought my kitchen needed a little snazzing up, so that's why I got it. But I think what I love about the kitchen is the soothing, warm feeling, which is reinforced by the rug. So I'm just going to say 'no' to snazz!

The rug is the Catherine from Ballard Designs. It has a grey background with spa and caramel accents and definition from mocha, just as my monitor displayed it on the website. I wanted fringeless also, because I hope to someday get a robot vacuum. (So far the dog hasn't shown interest in the fringe on my other rugs, thank goodness!) I haven't had it long enough to comment on the durability, though it sheds plenty, like all new wool rugs do. The design is rather primitive when I compare it to the Karastans I have, but I didn't expect that levels detail. I'm really happy with it!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I saw this the other evening and since it's $610. I didn't post it. Just wondering if this would be something of interest to you....I thought it picked up on the black countertop and the caramel color in your fabric and now beautiful runner! Perfect choice BTW!

This plate is 18" and is from the Artful Home.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arapaho, that platter is spectacular! Normally I'm wary of roosters, having survived the bad Kountry Kitchen years, but that's a very sophisticated rooster, and would go perfectly in my "contemporary farmhouse" kitchen. So now I'm off to buy a lottery ticket! ;)

And thanks for the nice comments on the runner; I'm really pleased with it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

LOVE the look of the new rug -- and the new plate!

Your kitchen is so wonderful! LOVE everything in it! :)

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I agree with your sentiments on roosters - I thought that one was special. Understated and elegant.

This design seems to mimic the pattern in your fabric:
    {{!gwi}}

This is a smaller platter for $165. on the artist's website. It's 14 x 10 so maybe not large enough but price is better! I had never seen her work before and am intrigued.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura Zindel Designs

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, teacats!

arapaho, that squash does look rather Jacobean, doesn't it? It is beautiful, but doesn't speak to me the way the rooster platter does. 10x14 is a little too small, but I might get away with 13" round (also too expensive, though):

Thanks for putting me onto this website! The pieces are rather expensive, but they're art. She puts some strange things on food implements, though! (Skulls, ants, bird feet, snakes.)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and looks different in the up-close picture with the runner, which is perfect for your kitchen. I am now perplexed about a plate versus other item over your stove. Oh, well. I think you can play with it and try different things at different times. It is not like you have that one item permanently. It is something you can change out when you tire of it. I think, regards your grandmother's Imari, I would not put it in that location for fear it might get broken or the steam from the stove discolor it. I think I might give it a safer home.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patricia, I like the idea of changing things up, and hope I'll actually do it, rather than just get used to the status quo!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

You have a very pretty kitchen but it need's some pizzazz to be fantastic! Bring on the drama! I would 'kick it up a notch' by bringing in some black to play off the countertop, and even getting a couple of cream/black kitchen towels. Add a black container to the plant by the window. Is that a breadmaking machine in the corner? (I don't think of small appliances as a decorating items). Replace it with a small lamp, and add a black mini shade. Move the toaster over by the Keurig, also. I would love to see different cannisters, possibly ivory with black lettering or vice versa, or a pattern of ivory/white.

Love the rug, though not exactly rustic.

As for a tray, here's an idea, and relatively inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: tray

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty_cakes, I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings when I write that I laughed out loud when I read your post. A lamp with a shade in MY kitchen?! You haven't seen me cook, so you couldn't know that that's a very bad idea. :)

My kitchen is primarily about function (yes, clearly decorating is a forlorn afterthought for me), so the old Kitchenaid mixer (not a bread machine) has to stay where it's easily accessible, as I use it several times per week. Besides, I love it, and it's got sentimental value. The toaster stays in my breakfast prep area, with the range and the tea. (The Nespresso machine gets used once a week when my father-in-law comes to dinner, so it's not part of all that.)

Now I do agree that the space is lacking something! I really like the idea of ivory and black. I even have some tea towels that could work. And I love the idea of a tin tray! Thanks so much for your suggestions, and I hope my bluntness hasn't put you off!!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Not to worry! I never know who *really* cooks as i'm retired and live alone, so cleaning a kitchen is minimal for me, and I do enjoy it! I have 5 grown children, so know how important a functional kitchen is since I believe in 'home cooking'. I wasn't into decorating and had no kitchen lamps then, now I have 3! Yes, i'm obsessive, but none are so close to the stove that a spattering of sauce would leave them 'dotted'.

I love the black/ivory of my kitchen, and have had a lot of compliments since building 6 years ago. My cabinets are open at the top and i have a collection of copper pots, lids, coal 'scuttle', and utencils I collected for years before moving in. I first thought of recommending a copper tray since you mentioned rustic and copper can go either way.

I'll be anxiously awaiting to see what you do! Maybe new cannisters? ;o)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patty_cakes, your kitchen sounds lovely! Maybe someday I'll be able to decorate my kitchen too, but that will have to wait until I'm also an empty nester (and get a cleaning person ;)!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I have a small $10 lamp with an $8 shade from Dollar General in my kitchen, so far no problems. When I find just the right vintage lamp I'll switch it out. I love the ambiance in the evening, plus I was never really comfortable with ceiling lights except when extra light is needed when working; so I did install one.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in case anybody finds this thread while looking for info on the Catherine rug, I have an update: I still love the look, but it sheds a ridiculous amount. In big chunks that collect nearby on the hardwood floor, and in fine fibers that travel all over. I had planned to get this rug also for the family room, but now am reconsidering. I'll see how long it takes for this shedding problem to work itself out, and then decide if I can live with it in a larger rug.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

fouramblues, funny you should post because I had wondered if you ever found a platter/plate. Reading the reviews on the Catherine rug, sounds like you are not alone with the complaint for shedding. It's too bad b/c it's such a pretty rug. Have you called Ballards to see what customer service can offer like if returned, no return shipping charge for you?

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I plan to ask for the 13" rooster plate for my birthday unless I find something less expensive that I love before then. For now the speckled platter in the pic fills that spot.

As for the rug, it's just right in my kitchen, so I'm just going to deal with the shedding and won't contact Ballard about returning it.

Thanks for checking in, arapaho!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

It is a pretty rug. Is it tufted? I found they are dreadful when it comes to shedding.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, cyn! Yes, it is tufted. So now I know about tufted rugs shedding. :(

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Love that rooster plate.

Re: plate behind the stove. I'm with the detractors. Not a fan. IMO, plates are meant to sit flat, and they look like they're always about to tip over and crash when they're put on their sides and leaning against a wall. It is counterintuitive, to me, and it looks like it is. Just my own opinion, of course.

I think one of those plates would look nice in the center of the island or the dining table. For the backsplash, I'd get either something flat that can actually be attached to the wall, and/or I'd put some interesting containers up there to hold the cooking utensils, olive oil, most-used spices, etc.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input, Tibbrix! But I like plates on walls, so that's what I'm going for. :) There will be at most 4 things up there: a plate, two salts, and maybe a jar of flour. That's all I'm willing to clean at this point in my life. Those other things you mentioned are important to the function of a kitchen and are nearby, but not in the direct line of fire of the grease, as the hood pulls most of it straight up.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Rejected! Lol.

Then I like the second plate. :-)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hee-hee, Tibbrix, thanks for the vote!