Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cook4_gw

Needing a curtain rod that's at least 17 feet long

Cook4
12 years ago

I'm looking for an extra long curtain rod, at least 17' long and I would prefer something 18' long. This will be covering a quad sliding door along the back of our new home. The sliding glass door/windows are 16' wide.

I've found two companies online that offer a curtain rod this wide. Anyone ever used Highland Forge or Paso Robles Ironworks? Or have another suggestion? I found 2" curtain rods at Hobby Lobby, but the rods are only 8' long. I could connect two 8' rods, but that doesn't give me any stacking area for the curtains when the curtains are pushed back.

The Highland Forge and Paso Robles products would only have to have one support bracket in the center, so pulling the curtains/drapes shut would not be a problem. The curtains will hang on rings.

The "look" I'm going for is mostly transitional with clean lines.

Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

This may sound nuts, but I have used gas pipe for curtain rods. Straight and sturdy, but quite heavy. So use heavy duty brackets for support. I like the pebbled texture and iron look.

I clean and spray with a matte clear coat, so there is no staining or transfer of rust bits. You could spray with a flat black if you don't want the existing subtle color variation.

My Lowe's will cut threading on the pipes and that allows using coupling. Here I coupled two very long sections at 45 degrees. Works well.

• Cook4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celticmoon, was the gas pipe made of copper? The rigid copper that I saw at our local Home Depot wasn't sturdy enough. It would sag under the weight of the curtains.

Avesmor, I'm going for the oil-rubbed bronze look, so I would definitely have to paint the pipe. Each of my sections would be 9 feet long. I need to look at the pipe at HD and see if it would sag between the end and the center bracket.

• skyedog
    12 years ago

I used Paso Robles for two 12' long rods. I am very happy with the quality of product and the service I received. I called and talked over the phone before placing my order because I wasn't sure on the diameter of rod to use and they were very helpful. I also got the decorative baton to help move the curtains back and forth - this was well worth the money since I often open and shut my drapes. Hope you find what you're looking for!

• probookie
    12 years ago

Cook4, Overstock sells a "bold pole" that expands from 144 to 240 inches. It comes in white, black, brown, gold, and pewter. That size runs about $93.00. It is surprisingly thick, about 1.25 inch in diameter. I purchased the 90- to 144-inch pole for a 100-inch space and was quite pleased. Comments on the website suggest that opening and closing the drapes on a frequent basis can be a pain because of the size differential between the larger end rods and the smaller insert that adjusts between them. That is not a problem in my case.

• mommyto4boys
    12 years ago

I've used pvc and painted it with ORB spray paint and it turned out great. They make some very good looking metal look spray paints. Google and you will see some great examples of making your own!

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Cook4, These are iron pipes. They don't bend or sag. I imagine there is some amount of weight that could make them bend, but not any curtains I can imagine.. hmmm, maybe chainmail drapes? Nah, I'd still bet on the pipe.

Oh, and they are dirt cheap too.

• maid_o_cliff
    12 years ago

probookie is correct, I have the same situation, and the "bold pole" from overstock was the best and most reasonable I found. I bought both sizes one for 12' foot glass doors and the larger for 16' of glass doors.

I used grommet top drapes on both windows and they look very nice, however I used drapery panels from bb&b (cheap) and they are not hemmed to the same height! But they accomplish what I intended so I just ignore that little fact. LOL

maid

• Cook4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maid o cliff....I took the easy way out last year and purchased drapery panels from bb&b too. Because they were cheap and easy. Between the 6 panels I purchased, the lengths differed by as much as 2 inches!

As much as I'm tempted to use conduit or something like it, my DH is having a fit about painting something, hanging it, and making it look right. (I guess he doesn't have much faith in my abilities....you would think he would have learned by now!) I'm probably leaning towards the bold pole at overstock.com. If it's doesn't work, I can always return it and go the conduit method or spend the big bucks for Highland Forge or Paso Robles.

Thanks!

• geokid
    12 years ago

I needed a rod for a 14' space, but the longest affordable (that was key) rod that I liked only expanded to 10'. I ended up buying the 10' rod plus one that was 48"-88". I took the finials off both rods and took all of them apart. I rearranged them in a way that made a rod at least 14' and put the finials back on the ends. Since I had two rod packages, I had plenty of brackets to hold the weight.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

For longer as well as shorter length rods, I've never used anything but closet doweling~~the though of spending hundreds of $$$ on rods kills me! I buy the largest circumference which I think is 2 1/2", and never more than 12', but ask if anything longer could be special ordered~~may as well find out about circumference also. Painted or stiained, it can look like any type of wood or metal. I"ve also covered them w/fabric.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Hi Cook, I purchased a custom rod from Paso Robles a few years ago. Shipping is very expensive, but we live on the other side of the country. I wanted this rod for our dining room, but because of the depth and height of our crown moulding, the support brackets did not fit. Luckily, we were able to use the rod in our son's room. I cannot believe that you would only need one center support for a pole that long. Ours has one center support---and needs it. It is about 12 feet long, and I would think a longer pole would need more support.

My advice is to order first one of the supports to make sure it will fit and the curtains will not hang down too low. The way our support is forged, the pole actually hangs down 4" below it. Add an inch or two for rings, and depending upon your ceiling height you may not be able to use the pole, the curtains, and/or open the doors. If you order a support you can at least see how they attach and where the pole will hang.

Best of luck--- the poles are excellently crafted and the guy who makes them is really nice.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz