Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Lighting a hallway

Our hall is lit with a central, 2-light "ceiling boob" ;-) The light is decent for our linen closet, and general navigation (the hall is pretty short), but the "blind end" of the hall is kind of dark. I have my kids' chore charts and a bulletin board for them at the "blind end", and it's also where they hang backpacks. Near the other darker end, our bedroom door, I have a chalkboard of to-do for myself.

We've been here 13 years, and I've always wanted to change out the hall light but nothing really ever seemed like it offered more than a cosmetic improvement (which wasn't enough for me to justify changing it). Recently, however, I have started considering an Ikea LED track light for the hall, which would allow the lights to be directed and not require moving any electrical. In my mind, I'm imagining that not only would this be more cosmetically appealing, AND practical, it could also enhance the "hallway experience" for anyone using the chalkboard, the chore charts, or the bulletin board.

When I Googled "hallway track lights" I saw many appealing examples, which further encourage me. Does anyone have experience with putting a track light into their hall, does it help to direct the light and brighten up otherwise dark ends?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ikea light I'm considering for our short hallway

Comments (8)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Not about track lighting, but can you do solatubes? Loved my solatubes in my last house.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Track does give you the flexibility to direct the light where you want it.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Check the wattage. I replaced the fixture that came with the home with an IKEA and got home to discover it only took a 20 watt bulb!! It hugged the ceiling and did nto have an open bulb so it was a step up, BUT I couldn't SEE into my linen closet!! A few years later DH and DD went shopping as we were in the midst of repainting and it was a perfect time for a quick swap out. They returned with a boob fixture!!! GRRRR . On the up side it gives me more light and that was the NEED. Luckily ceiling fixtures are easy to swap out. Your tract idea intrigues me. One of our issues is DH is TALL so we can't have anything that hangs down too far...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The IKEA track will work and provide hightlighted areas of light, however, this fixture is only 5' long & the fixtures are fixed though they can swivel. How long is your hallway? You'll want to be able to direct the fixtures so that they are never pointed down the hallway and into the eyes of someone walking in the hallway.

Lowes offers an 8' track with more fixtures, that are moveable and adjustable which will offer you more lighting location options.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

How tall is your ceiling? If you don't have 9' or higher ceilings, I'm not sure you'll like the track lighting. Before you make the commitment, I'd suggest you visit a lighting store (not a big box) since they usually have an area where you can see the track lighting installed and working.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We only have 8' ceilings in the hall...which is 12' long. Does track lighting project lower than a b00b light? Maybe I'll "install" a mock-up. DH is the tallest person on our house, 5'8".

Solatubes are nice, we had one installed in our windowless bathroom, but not in the budget for the hall.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

In my previous house I replaced the globe ceiling lights in my walkin closet with 2 track lights... I liked the way they illuminated both sides of my hanging spaces, but the halogen light bulbs were the biggest pita bulbs to replace- ridiculously difficult! I was happy to leave those behind! I would check the ease of light bulb replacement before I bought track lights again!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

I bought one of those from IKEA as a temp. fix for my kitchen ceiling light until I have recessed lights installed. I then will move it to my laundry room. I have 8 ft. ceilings and it is fine. My kitchen is 12x12 and it does a very nice job of lighting. My DH has replaced a lot of fixtures over the years, and he said this was the easiest he has every installed.