Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Dining room Drum pendants please show pictures.

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Hi all, I need to blend some eclectic, vintage and a pinch of contemporary. In my search I have settled on a four light grass cloth drum shade with a bronze stem. I like it a lot and think it will get along well with everything else. Still, I'm a bit nervous as this is a new type for me to purchase. I don't have the exact measurements of my table (it's in storage) but it is an oval that seats eight comfortably but could squeeze in ten. It's close to a standard width if not an inch or two wider. The shade is 30"w x 10h.
What size did you get for a full size dining table? Can I see pictures of your setup?

Comments (17)

• chispa
    10 years ago

I was going to use a drum pendant in my kitchen eat-in area, but changed my mind once I borrowed one from my local light store and held it in place. You can usually see through most chandelier, but a drum shade visually and physically blocks the space. I didn't like the way it blocked the view out the windows. Just something to consider.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Chispa! I really like this pendant but IâÂÂm having a hard time hitting the buy button. This is the room (NOT my furniture). We are going to remove the upper half of stone on fireplace, add a mantel and the rest will be dry-walled and painted.

Picture from realty ad so not my furniture. The picture has been "brightened" fireplace not that vibrant.

As it looks now but before popcorn ceiling removal, fireplace update, paint update and ceiling lighting update. The stone will be removed on upper half and a mantle will be added.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Are you taking out the fan and putting the drum pendant in that spot?

A drum pendant wouldn't block much of your view from the kitchen, but it would bother me to look at my fireplace from the family room and have the pendant block any art I might have above the new mantel.

I do like the pendant you picked out ...

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, you have a point about blocking the art above the mantle. The mantle is 72" and the drum 30" but wonder if that would overall bug me. I have done several mock ups of various metal tones up there and just don't like anything. It's open plan, most of my living lighting is sort of contemporary/transitional brass. However, I don't like brass up there as its close to the kitchen with stainless stuff. For whatever reason it doesn't look right. I do not want any silver tones up there either. Oh, and yes that fan above table is going.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Hi jterrilynn...here's mine. I think your space is big enough that it won't obstruct views very much. My table is 42X64 and my light is 24" wide and the drum is 9" high. A designer I worked with said most people don't but buy chandeliers big enough...she advised me to go 26-28" but I couldn't find any I liked and think this is fine.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

If I were in this situation, I would hold off on buying the light fixture until the furniture was in place. Maybe it is just the real estate agent photography, but there is something strange looking about the shape of that room. Are you sure you will end up with the table directly under the light?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Gray, the room is stretched photography and the fireplace is at a corner angle. I laughed at your "something's strange" comment. This is actually the least strange room. I call the house The House of Sliding Door. There are sliding doors everywhere lol. But yes, it will be easy to center a table. Joanie, I forgot you had a drum shade. I like! Today I spent much time searching for the best price and found sort of a deal. It seems a bit crazy how expensive a drum shade can be. To me they are a bit trendy and perhaps that's why I'm having a hard time hitting the buy button. When you start getting over five hundred for trendy it makes you think.

• forethepines
    10 years ago

Here are mine. Sorry it's not closer

And

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, very pretty house! And, the drum shades look perfect. I wish I had your ceilings.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Jterrilynn.....mine is the 5 arm Walker Lights up. It was $362. I got it from Neenas Lighting. It comes in a ton of colors and there is a 3 arm version and one with numerous shades. I even called Walker and they sent me swatches of the ones I was interested in. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neenas Lighting

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I also like the fixture you've selected. The others shown are nice too. DD2 has one in her DR, purchased from Shades of Light:

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2's DR - more photos

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have Kichler's Quinn drum pendant in Antique Pewter. At the time I bought it it was available in a couple different finishes through the lighting store. On line it seems to show only the antique pewter finish and it is shown with a chain but mine has a rod that came in a couple lengths and had extension pieces too. My table is 48x68. The fixture is listed as 23.25" wide x 21" high. The shade is about 7". It uses 3 medium base lights with a maximum of 100 watts each.There is an etched glass diffuser on the bottom so you do not see the light bulbs at all

Here is a close up:

And a longer range shot:

And with the light on:
    {{!gwi}}

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Here's mine. It is 26" wide and the table is 44" wide (and 97" long I think in this picture). It is from Arteriors. My room is still in progress -- the mirror is too high and the accent wall needs to be done (may get a new server).

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Joanie, thank you for taking the time to post the link (much appreciated). I will check it out.
    Allison, the room looks fantastic! IsnâÂÂt it nice that you have passed down the good taste in decorating gene? I really enjoyed the pictures as well especially liked viewing the area rug as I have picked a similar rug for the dining room. IâÂÂll wait on that though as I want the background color of the patterned living room area rug so will wait until all is out of storage.
    Badgergal, nice light and thank you for posting! I had one close to that picked but am too chicken to have more than a minimal amount of other metal showing. I have quite a mix going on and but starting to get it straight in my head.
    Gooster, what a pretty room! Love your art and chairs as well. Speaking of chairs, thatâÂÂs next on my list. When I bought my table and credenza I did not like the chairs so didnâÂÂt buy. Even though the sale was good the chairs were still over priced for the workmanship. When I was staging my last home for sale I bought six chairs off craigslist for $100. Husband thinks they are fine but I think NOT. I just need to find better quality. I have no problem with used though as some of the old stuff is so much betterâ¦

• sameboat
    10 years ago

I love mine. It took me three years to click the "Buy Now" button.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sameboat, is that grass cloth? Looks pretty close to what I have picked.

Ok, I'm feeling more comfortable with this idea now. I think the size is right in relation to the room? I couldn't do the support wires skinny enough but you get the idea. Please ignore all the other hang-y down-y's on the ceiling.
    Popcorn removal will start soon as well as adjustment on the hangs and high hats.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 21:25

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi IâÂÂm back to share some money savings. First, I am in no way affiliated with this company or products from ET2, nor am I related in any way. However, when someone does me a good turn with money savings I like to spread the joy. My ET2 grass cloth shade light was just purchased (so excited) at a great shavings that you can only get through email after contacting Patricia from Lighting New York.com Ex 154. I have lots to buy so savings are a big deal. IâÂÂm so happy and because of that I will be getting all my lighting from there and itâÂÂs free shipping. Trust me, I checked online for weeks and PatriciaâÂÂs ( a licensed interior designer) passes on her savings. Happy shopping friends!
    Again, thank you all so much for sharing your pictures!