Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_fleming6164357

Ideas for Window Covering in Bedroom Sitting Area

Rob F.
10 years ago

Hi All:

I have attached a picture of our master bedroom sitting area. The french doors face out over our backyard/pool. We have to cover all of these doors/windows due to intense heat gain in the summer. My wife and I prefer the most energy-efficient covering that are the least bulky. In other words, we like the bare bones look but realize we need some covering for the heat problem (and for privacy) but don't want to lose the clean look and have moudling covered up etc. (I hope that makes sense). Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

You can do two things to maximize keeping solar heat out.

On the outside, you can put film on the windows. Check out 3M and Gila.

On the inside, for the simple, clean look, hang white wood slat blinds. The hardware for them goes inside the moulding and would look similar to the moulding.

Energy.gov , re: Blinds http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/energy-efficient-window-treatments

Hunter Douglas horizontal wood slat blinds: http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=16

Here is a link that might be useful: 3m window film.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, I've got the Gila film on some skylights and glass doors, since I rent my house in the summer and want it as cool as possible for vacationers. I put it on two years ago, and it has withstood all kinds of weather. Stays right on. The most reflective, the mirror (from the outside only) kind is thin and tricky to put on, so be patient with it. If I had it to do again, I'd go with the 3M stuff.

I've got the white wood slat blinds in my master bedroom and absolutely love them. They are beachy, clean looking, flush with the wood trim of the windows, block light really well when you want to, but are pretty and totally let full light in when they're fully open. With your fingers, you can gently run your fingers up to close, upward, any slats you want closed, leaving some at the bottom open, rather than raising the blind a bit and having a chunky bottom where they've gathered.

They're versatile and beautiful. But they're pricey!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 8:44

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Tibbrix, very helpful!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Most welcome. I love, love, love my wood slat blinds. Be prepared to spend a bundle, though! Esp. Hunter Douglas - very expensive, but they're well made. I didn't go with HD because of the cost, and I'm kind of regretting it.

One bit of advice: know the white you have on your would trim, i.e.: Benjamin Moore White Dove, whatever it is. Go to a hardware store that sells that paint, get a chip of the color, and take it w/u to the blind store so you can match the white as best as possible. They do come in dramatically different whites, and presumably you'll want the blinds to match the wood trim and window grids as best as possible, if you go with the wood blinds.

The way the film goes on is you spray the window with a water/detergent blend (you can make it yourself or you can buy the bottles of it that 3M and Gila make for it, but all it is is water and I think a blob of dish detergent. I looked it up online and made my own). Then you peel a little bit of the backing away, with the backing facing the window, press a starting point of the film to the window, then with a squeegee, start smoothly pressing the film to the window slowly as you slowly peel the backing downward, in tandem with squeegeeing the film to the window as you go. If it creases, no big deal. Just pull it back off the window past the crease point and continue on. It's not very hard. just takes patience. The kind you'll want, though, the mirrored backing (since it's the clearest from inside looking out) is also the most difficult to work with. Naturally! And do NOT do it on a breezy or windy day!

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Doesn't this product go on the inside?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No. The film goes on the outside.

• User
    9 years ago

I would have inside mount plantation shutters made for all the windows in the room. They preserve the look of the molding, protect against extreme temperature, and are a valuable permanent architectural addition to your home.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH