Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Mistake?

Sms
10 years ago

Hi should we have painted the door and trim the same color?

Comments (28)

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other door too

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like that look... Darker trim is a colonial look. Is that what you are going for?

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Going for a cottage look (whatever that is). Put up some vertical shiplap too. Will use sliding barn door hardware here but same door. What color do you think??? Really think we need to match the trim

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Only if that is what you want, woodwork all the same including doors and framing, picture framing and shoe molding, etc. Many people are using different colors to "accent" the colors. I think it depends on what you and your family like.

• chispa
    10 years ago

If that is your trim color shouldn't the stair risers, posts and spindles be that same color? I see white baseboard going up the stairs, why different? It starts to get into personal tastes and what looks balanced to each person. I like my trim and doors white, so I wouldn't choose the scheme you have and would repaint if I bought the house. Do what looks good to you and makes you happy.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I don't love it, but sometimes things look better when all of the furnishings are in place, and the mistake is to look at it before it is complete. I am accustomed to seeing wooden doors in white trim, or very dark painted doors in light trim.

just because it is not the usual, does not make it wrong. if you had an overall vision with this scheme or are working with a designer, wait until all of the elements are in place. if you still hate it, it is not that difficult to redo doors.

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all.

Chispa to answer your question we long debated the stairs/newel etc. the upstairs changed up the trim and wall combo (white dove walls with Chantilly lace trim) so this would have created transition challenges. Some times I wish we just kept everything the same so we didn't need to worry about transitions. Open floor plans are challenging. This whole reverse trim idea was spawned from trying to tie in our tile backsplash to the rest of the room.

Detroitb you make a good point about waiting to see how everything comes together. It's just more expensive to bring the painters back later as i am sure you realize. Thx though-- btw its not for sale ; )

This post was edited by zeitgast on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:55

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I don't care for it. For instance, where the barn door is going, when it's covering the opening, there's that piece just sticking out to the left?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I generally prefer the door match the trim....

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

It might be easier to tie into the upstairs and staircase if the trim was kept all white and only the doors were painted a color. I usually prefer all white but have seen it mixed up and interests me. You must have picked it for a reason so maybe let it be until you've got everything in the house.

• pugga
    10 years ago

I think I'd prefer the door and trim colors the same.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There needs to be consistency. With the base and casings tan, doors and stairs white, it doesn't flow and appears unfinished or disorganized. It appears the handrail will also be stained. You have to make up your mind one way or the other to establish visual order. Otherwise it will have a cluttered look.

Very pretty house.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I like it. How boring if we all had the same look. I think the trim adds character to the house.

Too many people are afraid to color outside the lines. If the trim was a garish color that would be a different story. It's not.

Live with it after everything is put together and then see how you like it.

• lovetorenovate
    10 years ago

I agree with oakleyok, I think you should live with it a bit - but my initial reaction is that I like it. I don't think that there being some white trim in addition to the tan makes things complicated - or perhaps it's that I love white trim. To me, white is so neutral, it's like a white ceiling - it doesn't add to the color palette for me.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I just want to add that I sympathize with your plight. After redoing countless houses, I decided that all the trim and doors in my current house were going to be pure white. In some rooms it looks a bit harsh but I LOVE that everything matches.

To me, it depends on how much it bothers you. If you really don't care and are just wondering of it looks "right", I wouldn't bother making any changes. I would like to see how the doors look painted the trim colors but also understand that It opens another can of worms. And I can see why you would like to avoid it.

• dirtyshoes
    10 years ago

Beautiful home!

Yes, I would paint the trim the same color. You have a lot of angles and the different color on the trim just adds to it. Having the trim painted the same color would allow for the eye to flow through the house and appreciate your future decorative elements.

Would love to see how it all comes together, especially want to see the sliding barn door area.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Well, I think it looks great. I love the contrast. Not everyone does. I agree that you should get everything in before changing things up. I would have done it throughout the house though. I understand how the transition is throwing things off. As others stated, you had a reason for doing it this way to begin with. Live with it for a bit.

Beautiful house and can't wait to see the finished pics!

• User
    10 years ago

I think the doors will look wonderful painted in the trim color. Right now they look like they are about to float away....there is too much white in the scheme, IMO. Overall, LOVE the colors and everything else!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I like the trim and door color to match! Right now it looks unfinished. I do however like the colors you picked!

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all-- really helpful perspectives. I think we are going to heed the advice of several of you and forge ahead, repaint the doors and see how this all comes together. We can always go back to white trim I suppose but want to make this work.

As I may have mentioned we got here b/c of the tile we loved and chose for our open floor plan kitchen. This photo is more color accurate than the other ones. If we have any money left after all this I just might buy a new camera ; )

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose its worth showing the before too-- not making it worse : )

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again. The barn door was just hung up-- still thinking we are going to repaint these (when we set up to spray the front door). Looks better than the closet door though. What do you think about going with a lighter value (50%? of trim color)?

This post was edited by zeitgast on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 16:35

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think I would like it better with the door painted the same as the trim. I love the look of your trim and the color. Either way, it looks great!

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

It's lovely as is but I would probably paint the door to match the trim so as to make the door more of a focal point against the white walls. Any chance you could make the barn door a real barn door? Haha, to add to your problems. But I do think it's going to be nice either way and I love the crispness of your walls. Are they also White Dove? What are the materials for your kitchen? Are your cabs the same color as your walls or your trim?... and what is that counter sample I see? It's a really pretty house and I personally love that you are not doing things "the usual way."

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

If it were me, I wouldn't add another variable with a third shade. I would paint all trim and doors the same color.

Can you photoshop the doors with the trim paint before you take the plunge? I

Your home is beautiful with much charm and character and it looks as though you've been very thoughtful in your choices, so in the end, you really need to do what looks good to you!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Happened to be looking through the below issue of SL and this farmhouse has a paint color scheme similar to yours. I thought it might be helpful to you since there are several photos showing the trim, door and wall paint.

Please come back and let us know what you decide!

Here is a link that might be useful: SL December 2013 TX Farmhouse

• Sms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesmobo thanks and sorry for the delayed response life got really busy this past week. Funny you should suggest a real barndoor because that was the first idea we had and will likely go that way for another door upstairs if we find the right one. Most of the walls are actually Chantilly Lace. That becomes the trim color upstairs and we switch walls to White Dove. Countrr is Caesarstone Nougat

Thanks Arapaho love that farmhouse link!

Going to stay the course with the reverse trim idea. Will post pics after the doors are sprayed.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I like it! I LOVE everything else! What a truly lovely home you have.
    While consistency is good there are always exceptions. To me you have added so many wonderful details that there should be no excuses for humbly adding a bit of attention here and there. Now if it would have been more of a kick color then I would pipe up with consistency. No need here, itâÂÂs all good!