Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eveningbreeze_gw

Help with Home Decorating Class

eveningbreeze
9 years ago

Hi all, I'm new here. :-) I was hoping to get some ideas and help with a class I'm supposed to give in March. Things to know to help pinpoint your answers:
1) I'm not an interior designer - just a homemaker with a flair for decorating
2) I was asked by a friend if I'd give their Mother & Daughter Homeschool group a 60-90 minute class/presentation on home decorating
3) It will be informal and free
4) I'd like to incorporate sort of interactive activity relating to the theme.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to teach on in that short of time? I'm especially concerned about the activity portion because that is always the main highlight of their classes. I don't want to just give a speech and go home, you know?

Some topics I think they might appreciate are decorating on a budget and defining your decorating style but that's all I can think of. I'm starting to wonder why I accepted such a challenge. They are all friends of mine so there's not a lot of pressure. But I would like to make it worth their while!

I would LOVE to hear any good ideas! :)

Comments (18)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

A problem many people have is in accessorizing, specifically arranging nick-knacks on a shelf. Or a mantle.

If this is going to be done at someone's home, you could find out if they have a bookcase or a mantle to practice with. You could bring in boxes of nick-knacks and do your talk and then have the group decorate the mantle in different ways.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I always think that lighting is an important layer - what about demonstrating different types of light and how they affect the mood, colors, etc.

Also, you could do some interactive thing or quiz to help people find their own "styles" -- traditional, eclectic, etc.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

How about a multiple choice 'test ' showing pictures of different styles (or types or periods) of furniture with answers to choose from?

ML

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Also....how about a segment on how to choose paint colors.

• satine_gw
    9 years ago

How about collecting samples of fabrics, carpeting, tiles, flooring etc and allow the girls to prepare design boards after you have given them some information and direction. You could also bring pictures of furniture, appliances etc and have them design a whole room. You could also include paint chips Satine

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would create a project, such as a floor plan with some elevations, and then show how to use the space. In my very first design class, we did an 450 sq.ft. condo that was 30' x 15' plus balcony. It was really more like a dorm room, but you could make up any space that you want to decorate and show how you would do the space planning. You can use cutouts of furniture in plan view to show different arrangements.

• voila
    9 years ago

Since the daughters are school age, it might be nice to give them all a color wheel and explain how different colors are used with examples of monochromatic, contrast and any other pictures you can find for examples. Children rarely know anything about the color wheel, but it can be applied to many different areas of interest.

• eveningbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I had a feeling this would be the right place to ask! :-) I love the ideas you have each given so far. Please keep them coming! Thanks sooo much!

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I would include something about scale--scale is something that seems to be something a lot of people don't factor in their decor and then they end up with a room that reads as cluttered.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

Interactive is always good. Also, let them create (or begin to create) something like a design board that each can take home. Have lots of paint swatches and cutouts of different style furniture everyone can choose for their vision board. If it's kids, some funky curtain styles and pillows, etc. I'm tired now so maybe not making much sense, but I'll check back tomorrow with more ideas and the energy to put it together to make sense. Lol. I suppose maybe demonstrating your own vision board, and then sending them home with a kit for their own- large cardboard square, scissors, color swatches, glue, etc. You could do it on the cheap with dollar store supplies. Fun.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do something with before and afters...people always like to see how a room can be fixed up...and explain the details of what makes the after better be it furniture arrangements, use of color, window treatments, lighting, etc. You can take a room and use one of the color visualizers on line (from PPG, BM or SW) to change the wall colors, including the ceiling, to demonstrate how color can change the mood of a room.

60-90 min really isn't a lot of time (having taught a lot of adult classes) so you really need to select a few topics and not try to do too much...esp if you are doing something interactive which always takes more time.

Also, you might consider putting together a "tip sheet" ahead of time to hand out...maybe some websites that are great for ideas like houzz.com, apartment therapy, GW, Christopher Worthland... maybe Christopher Lowell's 7 layers of design... rules of thumb like how high a chandelier should be over a table (30"), size of area rugs in conversational clusters...maybe favorite sources for decor items...rules on mixing patterns and colors...60%, 30%, 10% for using main and accent colors...

It's always fun to bring a bunch of swatches with you and show how to mix patterns and colors...or bring a print and then bring paint strips to show how selecting a print will make it easier to select the colors for the room.

If you decide to do a 'what's your style' quiz, be sure to bring examples of each room's style and point out the elements that make the room that style...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The more I think about it, the easiest thing to teach and yet a most important lesson for non-decorator types is the importance of an inspiration piece, be it a room in a magazine, a plate, a piece of art, a fabric, a design-seed....

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love the design-seeds, so fun to take a picture and pull the colors, or look at a palette and find the colors in a picture. It teaches you to really think about the colors you see.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Colour Wheel - if they don't understand colour, they don't have the basic tools.

Get a couple of colour wheels and lots of paint chips from Home Depot, paint stores, etc.

Teach how to coordinate, contrast etc, then pass out the paint chips for the gals to create their own palettes?

• pps7
    9 years ago

Sounds like fun!

I think the biggest mistake people make is starting without an inspiration point. I always advise my friends to pick a rug or fabric first and paint color last. Everyone always wants to start with the paint color!

Scale is another big one. We moved to a house that is twice as big and went from 8' ceilings to 10'. All of our old stuff looked ridiculous.

Mix high and low price points. Splurging on one of two pieces will make the whole room look upscale. Similar to high end shoes and handbags in fashion. And a great way to save money is shop vintage.

I'm sure they will love it!

• sameboat
    9 years ago

How about asking everyone to wear their very favorite outfit they look good in - color, style and fit - whatever that may be (even if it's a prom gown or pajamas!) and have that be their inspiration. But don't tell them that until they arrive. Lesson 1 surround yourself in things and colors you love. It also may make them think about a decorating personality - laid back, tailored, funky?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Will you be able to do computer presentations, like Power Point? Do you have any idea of the age range of the children?

• eveningbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the ages of the daughters! They are all 12-18. Thanks for your help everyone! Awesome ideas!!