Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbmas0n

Too Dark for Master Bedroom?

kbmas0n
16 years ago

Is this paint color (found in a curtains mag) too dark for a master bedroom? I love the combo of the blue and the brown color of the silk curtains, but worry it will be waaaay too dark. We have cathedral ceilings in the room...and lots of light...

Comments (16)

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

I think that's a beautiful combination. I feel that a MB doesn't need to be light and bright- it's a place to rest.
    Astrid

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Astrid. I definitely want a restful place. I appreciate your response!

Also...this may sound VERY weird. But do you frequent babycenter.com? I don't hear the name Astrid too often, and I "know" an Astrid there.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I like the color, and count me in on preferring darker bedrooms as well (the whole pale-serene thing leaves me cold, give me rich passionate color!), but make sure you test it out with a good big swatch of it in the room. Bright light can sometimes make strong colors go a little garish.

• gwendolynne
    16 years ago

I like it too, and don't think it's too dark, although I sleep in an eggplant purple room, so I'm definitely biased towards deep bedroom colours. I don't know if I would use exactly that shade of blue, it strikes me as a bit "bright", but Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy would be a great bedroom blue with enough gray in it to keep it deep, not bright.

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

I am a lurker on Babycenter (don't post much).
    Astrid

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the responses! I'll check out the Hale Navy, and some other deeper blues.

Thanks!

• punamytsike
    16 years ago

I have navy blue bedroom for 5 years and still love it. I even painted my ceiling blue and everyone who has seen it loves it as well :)

• natal
    16 years ago

We went from pastel to a wall color similar to your drape color. That was about 5 years ago. I'm ready for something lighter. Go for it. When you're tired of it you can change.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Dark rooms are great, but if you aren't really after a dark room, you can always lighten or liven things up by contrasting against them with light fabrics, artwork or matting, woodwork, rugs, even light colored furniture.

• karen_76
    16 years ago

We have a dark blue paint in our master, and while I like it, there's only one window in the room and so it really cuts down the amount of natural light during the day, and it sucks all the light bulb light right out of the room. So it can be hard to see certain things if you're looking through drawers or something. Just make sure there's plenty of lighting available for when you do need the light.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

I had a really dark bedroom once in a previous house, and I *really* liked it. It felt so cozy in there. The color was Behr "Chesapeake", which I think is retired now. It's a beautiful color and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

In my current house, there is an unused bedroom, and I went a little lighter there since I'm not sure what purpose this room will serve. This is BM Colonial Blue; I think it's too bright.

Both of these rooms are rather small, especially the current one. I disagree with the "rule" about painting small spaces light colors.

I am having my tiny bathroom painted BM Van Courtland Blue next week!

If you like it, I say try it!

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooohhhh bungalow...I L-O-V-E that first color! I'm going to pretend it's not a retired color and try to have SW color match it. It's gorgeous!

Thanks for everyone's responses! I'm going to ignore my MIL (who thinks you can only two two shades into a color swatch) and go for it!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That is a gorgeous blue, Bungalow! Hmmm, doing a double-take -- why is that woodwork painted! Must have been the previous owner ;) Well, against the blue it's surely beautiful in white too!

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

Ha ha ha Squirrelheaven! I was thinking the same thing (about the painted woodwork)!

Bungalow- that blue in the first pic is BEAUTIFUL! I don't normally like blues but that one is great!
    Astrid

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

LOL Squirrel and Astrid. Yes, bedroom and bathroom trim is painted. It usually is in old houses (along with the kitchen), even if formal rooms are stained. I didn't do it! :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Wow, that's truly amazing. I had never heard or noticed anything like that! Although I usually see painted trim, before coming here.