Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Help with fireplace and TV combo, please!

phoggie
13 years ago

I don't know if this is the correct forum or not, but did searches and nothing was found....so I now you are a very knowledgeable group of people and hope you can help me.

We are planning to build again...and there is a wall 11' in the living room that I want to put a fireplace and TV combo (and not put the TV on top of the fireplace). I had thought of some type of "common mantel" for both spaces, but DH doesn't think it would look right.

Would you kind people who have a fireplace and TV side by side, please post pictures? THANKS bunches!

Comments (11)

• lv_r_golden
    13 years ago

We did that in the family room when we built 4 yrs ago. In our area it is required to have glass doors (ish) - I am in the middle of replacing them with something beefier, painting the inside of the firebox black and adding gas logs. We have never used it but we are having a cold winter and a fire has been sounding nice.

The tv is only a 50 inch and the space will always limit us to around that size but we have a media/theater room with a much larger screen so this has worked well for us.

You don't see this look on this site much (or anywhere else really)....I like the tv to be eye level....our layout works to lay on the couch as well. I also wanted to be able to see the fire from more of the area, thus it is raised. Good luck with your build.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

The cabinet doors on either side of the television retract back into the cabinet when we're watching. The television is attached to a backboard that can be pulled in and out and we can adjust the entire television screen to face the right or left more.

When not in use, we pull out the cabinet doors and close and it looks like a pantry cabinet with pulls.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

our fireplace is not finished yet (mantel is being built and then more travertine is going up to the ceiling). but you can get the gist:

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Here's ours. HTH!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pics.... lv r golden, that is exactly what I had in my mind....now to convience DH~~

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I will post just to show a different idea. We loved the original set up but hated the holes. Within a few months a spark flew out and burned hole in sofa arm while tending the fire. Real bummer. Sunglare on tv was horrible. With such a large room it just looked like fireplace was off. So we installed an insert which is waaaay more efficient and redid the fireplace wall. We did entire project- well, we did let the store set unit in wall and hook up the pipe but that was all they did- ourselves. We have talked about making one of those pictures that slides over to cover the tv but for now it is fine.

{{!gwi}}

• Sidney4
    13 years ago

Here is ours. The TV is behind the doors on the right. The doors retract into the cabinet when the TV is being used.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sidney, that is beautiful! How long is the entire unit? I have only 11 feet on the wall it has to go in...maybe it could be modified some way.

Thanks to all of you and I hope there are still more out there that I can see, so keep posting~~

• Silverdove
    13 years ago

Here is mine.

{{!gwi}}

• Sidney4
    13 years ago

phoggie,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner I just ran across your post after it was linked in another thread. The wall is nearly 18 feet but the fireplace is quite large. The cabinet that holds the TV is about 4' 10 " wide.If it is helpful, Ive included one of my inspiration photos as another example that I really like.