Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarplumz

CL Sofa - Opinions?

Sugar Plum
11 years ago

I purchased this Norwalk sofa on CraigsList for $50, and I may be having buyer's remorse...

It needs to be recovered or slipcovered, because that scrap of fabric on top of the camelback is hiding a fairly large tear in the fabric.

I bought it with the intent of using it in my daughter's college apartment, and planned on slipcovering it with painter's drop cloth fabric. I can sew (making pillows, window treatments, bedskirt type projects mainly) but I've never attempted a slipcover. I have covered furniture by tucking / stapling, but no true upholstery projects.

Is this sofa worth it? It is structurally sound, and other than the fabric tear it is in good condition. The more I look at it, however, the more intimidated I am by trying to make a good looking slipcover!

Comments (12)

• farmchic
    11 years ago

It's cute, could you just repair the tear?

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Or if you can't repair the tear, can you just tuck and staple the dropcloth material on the back portion - kind of do an up and over but leave the seat and arms in the check - could be really cute! For the cost of the piece and one dropcloth, I think it's well worth it if you can do it.

• geokid
    11 years ago

What does your daughter think of the plaid? If she likes it, then I'd try to just repair the rip. I like it the way it is personally. In fact, one of my saved living room inspirations has a check sofa. But, your daughter has to like it.
    You can also always buy a two-piece stretch slipcover from surefit.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

That is a great looking sofa for 50.00
    I would darn the tear and then use that piece of fabric trimmed out with black cording and just attach with velcro like a back pillow protector.

• Sugar Plum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone, I am feeling a bit better!

The tear is shaped like a 'T', about 6-8" long, and the edges are frayed. I can darn the tear, but I don't think I could repair it well enough to be presentable because of the size, shape, and condition of the edges.

I do like dlm2000's suggestion of just covering the back, or lyban's suggestion of covering the tear area with a trimmed-out piece of the fabric.

Geokid, I love that inspiration room! I agree, my daughter has to either like the plaid, or I need to figure out how to cover it to better match her style.

If my daughter absolutely vetos the sofa, I think I will keep it and use it when I re-work my sunroom (in a blue/yellow/lime color scheme like Geo's pic)!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

What I'd give for that sofa! Darn as much as you can, then put a matching lapquilt/throw on the back. If your daughter isn't fond of the checks, then you lucked out. :)

• Sugar Plum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks oakleyok! My daughter doesn't like the check, and it really doesn't go with her existing decor (a lot of pillows and window treatments that I made for her last summer... don't want to re-do everything for her next apartment). And, the more I think about it, I think she may need a more substantial sofa -- something more modern/less traditional to go with her style.

So, this sofa may very well end up in my sunroom :)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Your daughter is in college and is rejecting a free sofa because it won't go with her existing decor????

If she is financially independent of you, I would say, let her figure out her own sofa issues. Come to think of it, if she gets any funding from you, I would say the same . . . and more.

• Sugar Plum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Graywings, my daughter is not rejecting a free sofa because it won't go with her decor.

I helped her set up her current apartment because I enjoy decorating projects, can sew, and helped her create a pleasant apartment for very little money.

She will be living in a different apartment with a different roommate next year, and will need additional furnishings. I found this sofa for very little $$, and planned to slipcover it because of the the fabric is torn near the camelback top.

She did not demand a different sofa, or demand that I change the fabric -- I am doing this because I enjoy decorating projects, and she is very grateful and appreciative of anything that I do for her.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Can you paint the fabric? There have been some really amazing projects on GW, but I can't find the thread right now.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Well, that's good to hear. It sounds like I (mis)-judged her based on very little information.

Personally, I like the sofa.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see pics of your sunroom!