Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickysnacker_gw

This great room/dining room needs some spice! Please help!

snickysnacker
12 years ago

Hi all! Recently bought a new home and have begun furnishing it. We are saving for a new media console to put into the alcove where our TV is now. My problem is and has always been accessorizing. I just dont have the eye for it that many of you do! Please help.

Should I put up curtain panels to gives some interest to the room? It seems bland. I'm stumped by these ceilings which are 33ft high. Since the family room and dining room are joined, if I used curtains in FR, I'd have to put the same ones up in DR also,right? Additionally, the dining room rug (bought from overstock) also is a little blah. Definitely less colorful in real life. Should have returned it but didnt. Can I pull some color out of it for curtain panels or other accessories?

The clock above fireplace definitely looks too small but I already had it. Lastly, attached open kitchen is BM Hancock Grey so there is an olive tone going on in there.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!! Help :(

Comments (31)

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

What a nice, bright room! 33ft ceilings? Wow!

I'm not good with open wall spaces but I agree the clock looks out of place - maybe I just don't expect to see a fireplace decorated with just a clock? Others will have ideas.

Someone here suggested to me that I move a rug out so that the entire sofa was not sitting on it and that made a big difference to me in my great room so I'll suggest that as a quick tweak. Pull it out so that only the front legs are on it (you may have to play with how much stays behind the front legs, for clearance on the hearth etc.) but see what that does to help tie together the sitting/hearth/tv space.

The wall between the dining area and living area wants something - console? Again, not my strong suit but I'll be watching to see what others suggest!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

In my opinion, no, you don't have to match the window treatments in the dining and living areas. It would be nice if they coordinated in color and style.

33 foot ceilings???? OMG!

• mjlb
    12 years ago

I don't think the ceilings are 33-ft. Door is roughly 7-ft tall, so looks more like 20-ft to me.

• User
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Beatiful home.

Yes, to curtain panels on all the windows. Since you have blinds, they can be stationary (don't have to close). I think it would make the room look a lot warmer. You can either pick a color from the rug (which on my monitor looks very nice), or go with something close to wall color. Personally, I'd go with the same thing in sitting and dining areas.

I would move the sectional back (away from TV) until it's almost lined up with the sliding doors. Not enough to block entry/exit, but closer to door than it is now. And, as clubcracker said, move the rug out as much as you can so that it's more out in the room between couch and tv. Or get bigger rug if it's in the budget, but just moving it out will make a big difference. If you don't want to move sectional back (it's at good distance from tv now?), add console table behind it between it and door.

Some pillows for sectional, maybe in a color from the rug, would be nice.

The wall to the left of the fireplace could use *something* but I'd probably wait until you do the media console in the alcove and then see what would look best. Maybe a console table as club suggested. Or maybe a couple of chairs with table between if there's room (looks like there is in picture but it can be deceiving).

• mdrive
    12 years ago

well, here goes, i've never offered decorating advice so please take my suggestions for what they are worth...

my first impression is that everything looks 'smushed' in the corner, and on first look, it would appear that you could change out the blinds with bamboo, raise the 'height of the windows' to match the opening for the TV by the placement of the bamboo blinds....side panels would be lovely as well....agree with the post that they do not need to match the dining area, but should coordinate well

the fireplace itself looks diminutive (obviously a function of the 33 ft. high walls) so I think a mirror or piece of art that visually to heighten it....Second the suggestion about pulling the sofa back from the rug....I can't see the other side of the room, but if you can, pull it back from the fireplace, this contributes to the 'smushed in the corner effect...

what a beautiful space you have and no kidding those 33' high ceilings are magnificent but challenging! good luck, I'm anxious to hear other suggestions

• cattknap
    12 years ago

Beautiful room - everything seems to be on a horizontal plane at relatively the same height. You need a tall piece of furniture next to your fireplace and drapery that is hung high above the window.

The other thing - the paint. I don't know if it is just the picture or the lighting, but your paint has a cool pink undertone that really doesn't do anything for all your beautiful warm earthtones. I'd rethink the paint color.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

I agree that the FR looks smooshed w/furniture. I would pull the couch back some (closer to where the door starts). Right now it's lined up with the edge of the window and you have some extra room there. I would think about putting art work or iron work above the lower windows and the door, unless you do put some panels up that you take up pretty high to help bring down the ceiling. Maybe paint the ceiling to also help lower it.
    Maybe remove the rug under the sofa and just get one that goes in front of it and put a coffee table and some side tables w/some more lamps. THat's some things for you to think about.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I am no expert, but I think you need to re-think your house and GO BIG. To me, it looks like you are (right now) decorating as though you have a typical/traditional house, but you certainly do not. 33 ft ceilings!

Instead, I'd go for something very grand. Two ideas come to mind . . .think of your house as an art museum (I am thinking of the Museum of Contemporary Art and/or the Art Institute) or as a grand ballroom. I am leaning more toward the MCA because your house is modern, obviously. Look to those types of spaces for inspiration vs. traditional homes.

Here are some images:

• teacats
    12 years ago

Yes -- another BIG vote to move the sectional back slightly -- and let more of the current area rug show ... just have the front legs on the area rug.

Play with the angle of the sectional slightly -- bring it out into the room so that it faces both the fireplace and the TV alcove. Consider turning it slightly so the corner that NOW hits the back window -- is turned out and into the middle space of the room. ((hope that makes sense! LOL!))

In the future -- try a pair of matching (or co-ordinating)area rugs in deeper colors.

Yes -- curtain panels would be amazing -- on the LOWER living room windows and the same ones on the dining room windows. Hang the large dark curtain rod at the same height as the top of the media alcove. Make sure that the curtains are very full to "fill in" the visual space.

Add a tall rectanglar artwork above the fireplace. OR do a vertical row of matching artworks ....

• mdrive
    12 years ago

i just noticed that the sectional is positioned against the window wall.....try moving it out where the back is lined up with the door opening and movie it AWAY from the window wall (toward the dining area)...it appears you have plenty of room to do this ....doing this will help tremendously the 'smooshed' effect....i still think raising the placement of the blinds (if they haven't already been cut to fit the length) and some side draperies will work wonders for this room...

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I agree with a lot of what has already been said -- move the sectional out, move the rug so most of it isn't under the sectional, place some colorful art over the fireplace.

I'd put stationary drapery panels on all the windows, same style in both rooms but a different fabric to delineate the two spaces. So for example, maybe you'd have a subtle floral in the family room area, and a stripe in the dining room, but in the same colors and same drapery style. So you have coordination but not matchy-matchy. I'd pull what looks like a nice gray-blue or gray-green from the dining room rug and use that in the panels and in a few accessories (a throw, some pillows).

I think if you pull the sectional down a ways toward the dining table, then place a chair to the left of the fireplace, facing the sectional, you'll have a nicer conversation area around the fireplace so that whole seating area isn't ALL about TV watching.

Seems like you may need more lighting, too. All I see is the dining chandelier and a little table lamp over by the sofa. I'd be looking for a beefier end table where that lamp is, and then a more substantial lamp to place on top. Then maybe if you add a chair by the fireplace, you can have another end table by the chair with a lamp -- or maybe a floor lamp.

Nice space! Just needs some color and tweaking! Have fun!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I don't know why but the upper windows and the lower windows don't match with coverings or framing. I would probably redo the lower windows to match the top ones. With the framing on the lower windows that will give more presence to them. Are those plantation shutters on the top windows? If so put them on the lower ones as well- again more heft to them.

Again, I don;t know why, but the LR windows and those in the DR seem to be at different heights. I agree with adding side panels to both sets of windows and they don;t have to be in the same pattern. They should be the same style but you could do a large floral on one and then with the same colours a small tone-on-tone stripe on the other. Hang the rods at the same height for both windows - perhaps at the same level as the tv alcove or even higher.

What about building out the mantle on the fireplace and again given it more substance. You could also build out some molding around the alcove and fireplace to connect the two so that they appear as one and then give the whole area more presence. Now, while I'm spending your money, you could add, or build, a shelving unit to the left of the fireplace as a display unit and then the display unit/fireplace/tv alcove would all be connected and treated as one space instead of what you have now which is two separate things. You couldn't go to the right of the alcove with the display unit if you're putting in curtain sidepanels.

YOu could paint an accent wall a very dramatic colour like eggplant to set of your DR rug, add a more substantial light and table in the corner by the alcove, (already mentioned) add a couple of big colourful posters above the fireplace/alcove/display unit space.

Right now the space is very flat and one dimensional and by adding some texture to it through moldings, built-ins, curtains, you begin to add interest and dimension to the space.

It's a beautiful space with what looks like a lot of light so have fun.

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions! And, I do stand corrected, my realtor told us the ceilings were 33ft but after measuring the door height (indeed it is 7 ft), it would seem accurate to guess the ceilings are more like 22 ft. as mjlb suggested. In any case, they are very high.
    Yes, the house came with plantation shutters up top and regular blinds on the lower. Not sure why, but probably cost limitations of original owner.
    And yes, cattknap, the paint color is off!! I dont care for it at all, to me it is slightly peach toned. Im also not liking the sponged area in alcove but I will have to hire a painter due to height of walls. I have already repainted 4 rooms here and this area needs to be done too.
    I appreciate the feedback and am going to try to put some suggestions to use. Thanks again, keep ideas coming!

• Suzy
    12 years ago

honestly, this may not be feasible, but i'd put in a ceiling at 10 ft and make the upstairs a big bonus/guest/theater/playroom.

• cattknap
    12 years ago

Snickysnacker - please keep us posted on the progress of your room - it is a challenge to have such a high ceiling. You have lovely things and you'll figure it out. We moved 3 1/2 years ago and I am still trying to figure out what to do with some of the rooms - it takes time.

• mdrive
    12 years ago

i just noticed that the sectional is positioned against the window wall.....try moving it out where the back is lined up with the door opening and movie it AWAY from the window wall (toward the dining area)...it appears you have plenty of room to do this ....doing this will help tremendously the 'smooshed' effect....i still think raising the placement of the blinds (if they haven't already been cut to fit the length) and some side draperies will work wonders for this room...

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

How about instead of one clock you do a bunch. In my last house I had these spread out on a 2-story wall. No room in this house, but you get the idea:

• rafor
    12 years ago

LOVE the clock wall!!! (Oops, had a BIG no-no typo there. Just use your imagination about how I left the L out of clock). I love big clocks and have them all around my house but I always think if I have 1 in a room I can't put another in the same room. This arrangement proves me so wrong :)

Something like that would be stunning with these high ceilings.

• FroofyCat
    12 years ago

if I had those ceilings and walls, i'd get a mobile! (I love alexander calder and modern stuff)

A really fast search turned up this:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

Love froofycat's idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Rafor- DH might object to that other kind of wall. Although it would be an interesting conversation piece . . . .

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

beautiful room! I had the same kind of set up in my last home and I finally decided to "pretend" that there were 10 foot ceiling in all the rooms and decorated accordingly. It made the rooms, IMO, appear cozy and that was what I wanted.

I originally had white walls and changed them out to a color or wallpaper. Trust me, I had to have professional wallpaper people do the wall paper, but we loved the look. It was a subtle grass cloth and we took the adjoining room color from it.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Just use your imagination about how I left the L out of clock).

I'm glad that you didn't forget the L in this sentence: I love big clocks!

;)

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Here are some pics from Houzz that might give you some ideas. I love the blinds in the first on that hide the upper windows, but it's a pretty contemporary look. The interest on the ceiling along with the chandelier brings it down a bit.

[contemporary living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by new york interior designer David Landy ASID CID NY State
    This has a strong horizontal element with lighting that breaks up the height:

[traditional living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by dc metro general contractor Moss Building and Design

[
    the last two use lots of wood/built-ins to add heft and interest

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/st-clements-great-room-traditional-family-room-toronto-phvw-vp~81556)

[traditional family room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by toronto design-build Schnarr Craftsmen Inc

[traditional family room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by atlanta interior designer Mary Trantow

• judithn
    12 years ago

I agree with those that say the room needs some kind of built ins and moldings. Moldings can actually be inexpensive and give you lots of drama. You can have someone add them directly to dry wall then paint out the inner areas in contrasting or the same color. I've seen people faux finish or use wallpaper inside shadowbox molding. That fireplace needs to be waaaaaay higher than it is. I think the high ceilings are gorgeous but you need big art now. In our two story foyer we have a gorgeous painting of ships. It is at least 4 feet tall by 6 feet wide and even at that size it looks just "normal" sized up there. Don't worry about doing it all at once, either. We've been in our house for over 10 years and FINALLY it's all coming together and I love it. Not that I didn't love it at every stage in between, it's just that there was always something more it needed. Your tastes, your family's needs, and your budget are all things that change over time. Good luck with your house (it's gorgeous!)

• FroofyCat
    12 years ago

oops, my link was wrong - the site is konrads.com

i also think the mantle seems so small. It would be neat to do something dramatic with that, but i imagine it would get expensive to put in a tall expanse of stone or something.

I don't think the dining area chandelier fits with the style of the house. I love that round one with the shades in the first houzz pic in olychick's post.

Do you have a hobby or interest or something that you could incorporate as wall art? Like a surfboard? and electric guitar? oars to a boat? map? Or maybe a large, stretched piece of fabric -- all could make an inexpensive, dramatic piece of art above the fireplace.

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the great responses. Ok, so as a first step, if I add drapes by putting the rods as the same height as the top of the tv alcove, there will be a gap of about 12" between top of the window blinds and where the drapery pole is. Is this empty space ok? Was going to use the shortest stationary rods I could find (think I remember jcp had 14" ones by Christopher Maddon?). I would put the panels on either side of the sectional and in the middle between the two windows. Am I on the right track here?
    Agree the fireplace and mantel are too small for room. In addition, the mantel is only 2 1/2 " deep! Clearly not meant for sitting things there!! :)
    Appreciate all the insight you guys have given. I need to scour the area for large art pieces.

• luminurse
    12 years ago

i love pops of color in a monochrome setting.

agree about pulling sectional out, and rug away from under...
    colorful toss pillows and warm paint color.

my walls are covered in groupings...love vignettes.
    i have other ideas, but am trying to provide most effect with least money. :)

• dorothy9_gw
    12 years ago

I think I have your dining area rug in our dining area, HomeGoods perhaps? No decorating help though.

• lisa616
    12 years ago

Not sure if this will help...but, here's my living room. I have 22 ft. ceilings as well and they certainly do make things challenging. Like changing light bulbs:)

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I love the mobile idea!

I also think a big live tree would love being in there with all of the wonderful light - a big ol' ficus tree in an oversized basket could give some nice height in the room and break up the space with the high ceilings.