Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Countertop for Built-In Hall Cabinet?

annaw_123
9 years ago

We've just moved into a new to us 1990's era house. The hallway has a built in cabinet which matches the cabinets in the baths and kitchen; 1990's builder grade oak. The countertop is laminate and matches what is in the kitchen.

Because we just went through the expense of moving, we've decided not to do any expensive upgrades to the house now. We want new floors and plan on ripping out the cabinet but are stuck with it for now because the carpet is not laid underneath it.

The countertop is damaged so it has to be addressed. We're not changing out the kitchen countertops yet because they are in good shape.

Do you think I can get Lumber Liquidators to cut a butcherblock countertop to fit the space? I'm pretty sure we could remove the old countertop and install new ourselves if someone cut it for us. It's not in the kitchen so we don't need to worry about water. It will get a lot of use because I plan to use it as our family landing zone (cell phone chargers, mail sorter and my purse). It is the first thing you see as you walk in from the garage so I don't want it to be ugly. I don't have to worry about resale because it will be gone when we put in new floors.

I don't like how it looks 'kitchen-y' now with the laminate so am not sure I'd want new laminate. I'd rather it look like a wood built in cabinet.

Or should I consider another type of wood to put on top of the cabinet? I've seen some built in cabinets with butcher block and think it looks pretty and not too kitchen-y.

Comments (5)