Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nziegler773

Need Source of Base Cap Molding for Antique Home

nziegler773
12 years ago

I am trying to duplicate some base molding that is in my house. It currently has a 8" x 1" blank base molding and a 3" x 1" base cap on top of it. It is the base cap that I am trying to find. I know that I can have a knife made but would prefer to find pre-made if possible. Does anyone have suggestions for sources?

Here are photos of the molding in place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57234744@N07/6630167923/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57234744@N07/6630145421/

And here is a drawing of the profile:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57234744@N07/6674596005/

Comments (6)

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

If you turn on your email notifications I can send you a link for a forum where you'll likely get more response. The Old Houses forum here is a possibility too.

Pretty house. 1880s-90's?

• nziegler773
    Original Author
    12 years ago

clubcracker- Thank you. I think that I updated my profile properly so that you can send me a link. I did a cross post in the Old House forum so hopefully between the two we will find someone who knows of a supplier of this profile. If not, making a knife will add a month of lead time and significant cost which we are hoping to avoid.

Actually the original part of the house is 1773 but we have found evidence of at least 6 additions and much of the original house was updated with Greek Revival style fittings at some point.

Looking forward to your link.

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

That's not a base cap molding even though it's close and was used as a base cap. I'm going to do some searching tonight and reply later. I had a heck of a time finding exactly the right one for a wall in my spare room (will spare you with WHY I needed a piece). Wound up finding something very close and did the entire wall with the new one. You really can't notice unless you look REALLY close, but if you go profile to profile, it's a bit smaller. Wandered around for months with a piece in my purse just to find the closest I could. Post later.

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

I found something very similar although the edges may be a tad sharp to look old and you may need to install them and "soften" them up with a little sandpaper. I found some solid crown (not at all what you're thinking) but it was too small.
    Closest I found is below. Google "shingle molding". The link in East coast product EC1206 you can click on the piece and get a full view. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: East coast molding

• nziegler773
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jaysmom49 - You are absolutely awesome! Thank you! That is by far the closest that I have seen and I have been hunting on the internet for weeks now. Yes, the top and front are a bit sharp but it is certainly workable with a sander. Many many thanks.

If anyone can come closer, please let me know, but we are back in the game with this one.

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

You're welcome, keep us posted on what you're doing-great house!