Houzz Logo Print
torsade

Help newbie with window treatments?

torsade
13 years ago

Hello everyone!

You might remember a posting about our master bedroom that started as this:

And was painted and you were shown this:

You all suggested a bigger piece of art over the bed, and to LOWER it for gosh sakes, so I did :)

I've been looking ever since, for pinch pleat drapes to hang on the existing traverse rods, at my husband's request. I haven't found anything. The purpose of the window treatments is to block light and for privacy. The windows face East and South. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to consider anything that will block light effectively, add height and update the look of these windows?

I'm open to other suggestions, as well. The carpet has to stay until Spring at least, at which time it will be replaced by new carpet, not hardwood. The bedside lights are intentionally low. There's no reading in this bedroom, as I have severe insomnia issues and it's forbidden by my sleep doc. I'm allowed to do only two things in this room. One of them is sleep and the other doesn't require bright lights!

The desk will be for my hubby, for bills. He hung the photos there, when I was at work, and they're scheduled to be "rearranged." I plan to paint it and change the hardware. Also plan to change the door hardware and paint the doors white.

Comments (9)

• AHomeWest
    13 years ago

Wow, your room really reminds of our house. When we moved in, they also had left some short linen type draw curtains similar in looks to yours. I'm on a tight budget so I actually used white bedsheets as curtains (they are the perfect length for celing to floor @ 8ft ceilings).

If you like the pinch pleat look, you can accomplish something similar with a sheet and a few packages of ring clips. Here's a link to what I did in our master bedroom...you can see that I raised the curtain rod to the ceiling, too. I will never be able to go back to curtain-rod-right-above-the-window :)

I know to some it's strange to use bedsheets (too thrifty?) but I was inspired by PB curtains I fell in love with...and it's just a thought.

I really like the paint color in this room, mind sharing the color??

-Stephanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling to Floor Curtains in Our Master Bedroom

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's an interesting and cheap solution that I never thought of. I can sew pretty well, and had looked at fabrics to make my own pinch pleated, but am afraid I'd screw up the pleats and regret the expense. Maybe with some pretty hefty sheets, I could take the risk. I'd have to line them with blackout fabric. It's a thought! Yours look lovely!
    The walls are Valspar Granite Dust, and the ceiling in the second photo (wasn't done yet in the first) is Valspar Comet Dust. I LOVE these grays! Oh, and yes, our homes are similar. We're working on a 50's ranch. I'm constantly arguing with myself about what to replace and what to just update a bit to retain the original 50's ranch appeal.

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a link with more pics on the area we're working on!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread with more pics

• suero
    13 years ago

Get pleater tape and pleater hooks, and you can make pinch pleat draperies without error. I did it, and I don't sew. You sew (or, in my case, use fusible webbing) to attach the pleater tape to the sheet. Then you insert the pleater hooks into the tape for perfect pinch pleats.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make drapes with pleater hooks

• graywings123
    13 years ago

If you are going to make them yourself, you might consider using a painter's drop cloth for the fabric. Nice texture, cheap.

If you are going to buy, Country Curtains makes a nice pinch pleat in weaver's cloth. Here's the link, but the length as photographed makes me want to SCREAM. You would still need a blackout lining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains weaver's cloth

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Suero, thanks for the link. It might be enough to light a fire under me to try making drapes again.

• torsade
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Suero, for the link. If I can't buy what I want, that's the way I'll make the drapes.
    Painter's cloth is a great idea!!! I will have to check that out.
    I'm hoping I won't have to make them, that someone will know a place to find some nice drapes pre-made, but these are great ideas.

• User
    13 years ago

I think BBB sells blackout liners meant to be a "retrofit" for existing curtains...

• careforkids123_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I need to find 2 clips for my skandia panel track header.
    skandia no longer carrys clips for this track header.

Help to replace header is $700.00.

Sandy

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County