Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Does ebay classifieds work like craigslist?

TxMarti
11 years ago

I am trying to find a couple of Windsor chairs and none have come up on craigslist, at least not the kind I want. So I looked at ebay classifieds and found one, but I'm not sure how it works.

Has anyone bought or sold there?

Comments (17)

• susieq07
    11 years ago

I do not like E-bay because you will pay alot more they add shipping on to your cost since the item may come from anywhere? CL is more local folks in your area and often you can go pick up or in my case they email me or phone me, then come to pick up whatever I am selling, all people in my general area. And for sure I'm not bidding on anything, I like it, I BUY IT PERIOD!

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

I've bought on eBay and Craigslist. On eBay, check the sellers rating first as compared to number of transaction, IMO anything less than 100% be leery. Anything less than 99% walk away. Sellers strive for happy transactions and reviews. I contested a sale due to quality, she said it was Chico's, it was plastic, and the seller lost a privilege until it was rectified.
    Check the shipping details and cost, and everything written about the item and transaction. If you are concerned, ask the seller a questions to determine how quick they will respond and how attentive they are. If they only show a photo from a distance, ask them for more close ups, and ask about the items specific condition. Ask specifically if the wood is split, fabric soiled, finish smooth, etc. Submit your max bid and if your bid is $10, and the starting bid is $3, your bid moves up as other bidders. The bid goes to $11, and you are out. Or you can buy it now, where you submit the bid and the transaction is complete. Just be aware of what could go wrong and be as savvy a shopper as they are a seller.
    I bought a 1990 Buick Reatta, located in Arizona. I asked tons of questions before subitting my final bid. Caught a plane and drove it home.
    Happy Bidding!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I've purchased over 400 items on Ebay including three cars. Follow what Lodalady says and you should have a good experience. You have to register and you can pay by using Paypal which is owned by Ebay or by paying by check. Paypal and Ebay are easy to use and very secure.

• bluemoon14
    11 years ago

Yes, it works like Craigslist. The price is set by the seller, there is no bidding, you email or call the seller directly to make the deal or negotiate the price. No Ebay fees, no feedback etc.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Yes, some deals can be done outside Ebay, but saying Ebay is just like Craigslist is incorrect.
    You can arrange outside buy/sales if you know how to go about sharing email addresses and phone numbers, but be well aware that both buyer and seller has no recourse if anything goes wrong with the transaction.
    DH has bought and sold outside Ebay but he has to have lots of communication with the buyer/seller re: shipping & delivery, and he deals only thru Paypal. That way he knows the buyer is verified.

For finding the chairs, I'd suggest you check out thrift stores, antique stores and consignment shops. Also, leave your contact number with the consignment shops in case what you're looking for comes in.

• sumac
    11 years ago

Is Ebay classifieds different than ebay auction?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I'd like to know sumac. I know the ebay classifieds are divided by areas like craigslist. The seller doesn't have feedback as far as I can tell. There is no shipping, at least on any of the ads I've seen, and there is a note from ebay that says to meet in person to pay for items and that ebay doesn't offer a payment service.

But I don't know if the buyer (me) would have to register, and if I do, what I have to disclose. I don't know if the seller names are the same as on regular ebay or if you can have a different buyer or seller name on each.

The seller's phone number is in the ad I'm looking at, and I don't know if that is required or optional. I sure wouldn't want my phone number out like that.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 22:48

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

You got me curious about Ebay classifieds so I went to the site. It looks just like craigslist. I'm guessing they are competing against craigslist hoping that people will then move up to Ebay Auctions.

Take the same precautions you would if calling about an ad in your newspaper or on craigslist.

• eBayClassifieds
    11 years ago

hi marti8a,

eBay Classifieds is similar to craigslist in that it is a free local classified site. We are a platform that helps you connect with local buyers and sellers. There are no fees to use the site. However, since it is a local site, to minimize any potential for fraud, we encourage face to face transactions, and paying with cash. If you, or anyone, have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us through our website. Regards, Kelly - Community Manager, eBay Classifieds

• ayesha_irshad
    11 years ago

i dnt like Ebay...

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know why Ebay no longer has the "Buy it Now" icon so I can see only items that I can buy now? They have BIN listed under the price but they're all mixed with the bidding prices too. Plus, the BIN letter's aren't in red either which makes it impossible to read.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks ebay Kelly.

oakleyok, I haven't bought or sold on ebay in years, and don't even remember that there was a BIN icon. I wonder if you can put your item and BIN in the search line?

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Ok....I totally missed the original question was for ebay 'classifieds'. Sorry!
    Oakleyok, the best way I've found to search only BIN is to use the Advanced Search. You'll see -advanced- listed to the right of the Search box. You'll then have a choice of auctions, BIN, or classifieds.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

I never knew about the ebay classifieds. I just checked it for my area, and it seemed similar to craigslist (but much more limited and higher asking prices from what I could see).

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Thanks, Annz. Boy, ebay has really changed. I like the old format better instead of having to use the advanced search, but I found a little tidbit and bought it.

What I really wanted was $999. Not today! lol

• newyorkgrower
    9 years ago

Ebay Classifieds do not work. And I discovered more business are listed there I want nothing to do with. Craigs list you can decide if you want to buy from a private person or a business. I sold on both sites for over 2 years and never sold a thing on Ebay Classifieds. On Craigs list I was able to sell at least one or two items per week.

I tried Amazon.com and found that the sellers there on the forums wanted me off the site. They did not want new sellers at all and kept telling me to go sell on Ebay. Well I sold on Ebay too. Did well till another seller got pissed, she purchased something from me, cancelled the sale before it was over and then posted badly about me. The main problem with both sites is the buyers. If they do not get that they think they want or are entitled to, they will post some God awful things which will hurt a seller. Neither Ebay or Amazon care as long as the buyers keep coming back. It seems both sites think there are so many sellers, so what if they loose a few. I was doing well on Amazon, till I sent out a book and flat out posted no returns, no refunds. The buyer sent back the book damaged. Amazon, kicked me off the forums as I spoke my mind and then "fined" me for a bad return.

We now see what Amazon was really about, as it has been proven in court it was cheating its buyers (always cheated it's sellers in my opinion). The recent lawsuit proved Amazon is a "dirty dealer".

If you look long enough on local to your home sites you will find what you want. If you are buying used, buy local only. Go look at the item. If you buy on line and can't see it as in furniture, you are making a big mistake.

Good luck.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Differences?
    Ebayclassifieds permits the sale of pets, CL says it does not. CL seems larger and more extensive.
    As far as selling, I've successfully sold a few household items in both. There seem to be a LOT more scammers and email address harvesters on CL.
    In both systems there seem to be buyers who are happy to send 20 or 30 emails and finally find a reason not to buy.
    But if one is looking to buy furniture, CL wins hands down, better selection, better prices, and you can find some real treasures for very little money.