Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Dislike Their Memory Foam Mattress?

Posted by ttodd (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 14:27

After 4-5yrs of having it DH and I looked at each other this morning and said that we couldn't take it anymore. Ever since we got it he's complained of backaches in the morning and more often than not I wake up w/ the achiest hips. We're early and mid 40's. We spent a ludicrous amount of money for it and haven't had the extra money until now to replace it. I also think that we were just begging to like it because we'd always heard how good they helped you sleep.

I just think it's weird that we both get sore and achey from it.

Today DD's preschool teacher told me that they disliked their memory foam mattress and got rid of it last year so I'm feeling like I must have been a bit brainwashed.

Anyone else end up more sore after sleeping on a memory foam mattress or are we just the odd one's out?

DH wants to look at a sleep # bed now. Maybe better since he's a back sleeper and I'm a side sleeper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Dislike Their Memory Foam Mattress?

I have heard complaints that they make people feel very hot, and that since it molds to you you don't move around as much so you may stay in one position for longer than usual.

o

Funny you bring this up. We rented a ski house for the season a few years ago and the king size bed was a memory foam. I hated it from day one and it did not get better. We only spent weekends at the house and don't think we ever stayed more than 4 nights in a row. DH, on the other hand, really liked it.

I have wondered what the sleep# beds are like, but haven't done any research. We are due for new mattresses so I'll be checking this post for other comments.

o

We have a Tempurpedic, we've had it for about 8 years now. I LOVE it! Dh says that it is comfortable, but he feels that it is too warm. I don't find this to be the case at all. Also need to mention that Dh has no problem falling asleep or staying asleep on this mattress! It feels as great today as it did when we got it 8 years ago. I have a herniated disk, I am totally comfortable in this bed and have no aches or pains getting up.

o

My mom has a memory foam mattress. She just stayed at her cousin's house for a week, and said that her back and hips feel so much better after sleeping on a regular mattress.

o

On the contrary. Our mfm is from Room & Board and it's been heavenly. Much less back and shoulder pain with this mattress. I don't find it hot.

We had a Shiffman bed, one of the top brands, that was great in the early years but broke down before we chucked it and we had what you describe from the memory foam!

I think this reaction is really personal and is about matching the right kind of mattress to you both. Or, maybe the current mattress broke down.

Nothing worse than the wrong mattress IMO and no idea why they are so crazy expensive. But there are so many different types out there.

o

We had a MFM topper for several years. While it felt heavenly and comfortable for lounging, my back started hurting from it recently. I removed it and my back feels fine again.

You're not alone!

o

There are all types of toppers and degrees of viscousity which make a great difference. I have had a viscous foam four inch topper on my bed for ten years. You couldn't get it away from me. Had three severe back surgeries and this is the one that works for me. That being said, if you buy the original Temperpedic you're getting the tops. If you buy a topper you need at least a 3 inch, five pound viscousity. Since I bought mine, I have purchased seven more for the other beds and for my lake house. Everyone who come's to visit want's to know about it so, for me, a brand new Temperpedic mattress would be a blessing. As for the staying in one spot, since I have pain my bed looks like a human egg beater slept there and, as for the warmth, I've never noticed that at all.

o

My Mom and brother have had a Tempurpedic for years and they both love it. My Mom said she stays in one spot but that she is comfortable. I was thinking of getting one. My daughter and husband have a sleep number and they love it because they both like such different levels of firmness.

o

I just recently purchased an Enso latex memory foam mattress; I've had it for only 5 days. But so far, I LOVE it. My previous mattress was really broken down though so maybe it's just the contrast between sleeping on what was once a great mattress, to a new mattress. But in any case, I'm quite happy so far. The Enso mattress is designed with open cell technology (not sure what that means) and is designed to retain less heat. I'm not too hot when I sleep in this bed; in fact it feels a little cooler than my old sealy mattress.

o

I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but after two back surgeries (I have serious disc problems) and umpteen procedures I swear by my SleepNumber bed. I've had every type of mattress, Tempurpedic, pillow-top, water bed...everything and nothing - nothing has eased my back pain like my SleepNumber bed. I wake up feeling refreshed and without pain...it's the best bed for me.

o

Funny- I have a history of RA, with back and hip pain as a result. A few years ago, I bought a two inch memory foam mattress pad, which helped a bit until it wore out. I just put a new 4", high density memory foam pad on the bed. The first two nights I kept it over the old one, figuring that 6" of memory foam was ideal. Dh thought it wouldn't make a difference. Hate!!! My hips sank down the lowest, torquing my neck and shoulders upwards, and I couldn't shift around or move to get comfortable. The strangest, most uncomfortable feeling, Ambien got me to sleep those nights. I took the 2" pad off, much better, though it doesn't have the cloud-like feel memory foam lovers talk about. If you have another mattress pad on the bed, try taking it off to reduce the softness and sinkiness.

o

You know I notice that I do end up in th esame position all night on my hip w/ this MFM. I know that it's not a Tempurpedic so I'd been wondering if there was a quality difference. There was also a more firm version than the one that we got. I can't say that I ever noticed our MFM keeping me hot but I have read that comment quite a bit.

Looking forward w/ a big sigh of relief to getting a mattress that meets our needs better. I'd just never really read any bad experiences w/ a MFM mattress so I honestly thought that it was just me.

o

We've had our Tempurpedic about 10 years and really like it. Dh has had several back surgeries, hip replacement, ankle surgery, etc, and it works great for him. It's too hot for me so I removed the thick fabric outer cover. Helps a lot.

o

I'm glad you posted this. We bought a Stearns and Foster set a few years ago, with memory foam in the pillow top. It's the most expensive set we've ever bought but thought it would be worth it since we both have back problems. But lately, both of us wake up many times during the night with aches. My knee and hip hurt so much now that sometimes it's hard to walk after I get up.

I've thought it was the mattress, especially since it's getting the dreaded buffalo wallows. I hate to waste that much money, but I've been thinking of ditching it and getting a sleep number also. Please post back if you get one and tell me/us if it helps.

o

When I first got my memory foam I felt it was too firm..then I put a feather bed topper over it and it's really nice now, you might want to try this before you give up on it.

o

I've been through many contortions trying to find the right mattress, and the one thing I've learned is that there is a huge difference between "memory foam" and real latex. If at all possible go for the latex. It's miles apart.

We suffered through a memory foam mattress for over a year and hated the heat, the wallow, the indentations. Never again!

But a real latex topper over a good firm spring mattress is heavenly, truly.

YMMV, of course - everyone sleeps differently.

o

We bought Costco.com's top of the line Sleep Science set about a year ago. I like it but my husband hates it, so we may wind up sending it back (gotta love Costco). I loved the Tempurpedic when I tried it in the store but it cost more than twice the amount, and without the return policy.

I often wonder if Tempurpedic is that much better as well. Anyone hate theirs or is it the generics that are bad?

o

I agree circuspeanut. Real latex can't be beat. It's what we have in our guest room but the memory foam on my bed is awful even though it was a very expensive set and only two years old. I hate it and it makes me very achy and it is so hot.

o

Very happy with our Memory Foam, which is maybe a year and a half old. It was comfortable since day/night 1. It is Macy's brand which made by Sealy. It is also a firm, so we do not sink in like traditional memory foam and it feels like a regular mattress. DH likes a firmer mattress but they bother my pressure points. This one makes us both happy.

Even the salesperson said it is very challenging because what one person loves, another one hates, and they are both correct.

o

We have had our Tempurpedic for 11 years now and would not want any other type of mattress. Absolutely love it. My sister bought a "knockoff version" and found it to be very uncomfortable. We've never found it to be hot at all. Whenever we return home from a stay away, we are so glad to be back in our bed. Hope this helps.

o

Sore joints are supposedly one of the reactions some people have to the chemical fumes from foam mattresses.

I'm quite happy with my memory foam mattress altho am now wondering how healthy it is long term.

Here is a link that might be useful: health problems due to memory foam

o

We've had a king size temperpedic for 7 years. My DH loves it. I like it. For the 1st month I hated it. I was really hot and kept waking up. The foam doesn't pull away your body heat as well as a regular bed. The bed store recommended added a cheap (i.e. thin) mattress cover/pad. It would help absorb (pull away) some of the heat but still allow the most benefit from the foam mattress. That helped me a lot.

If I haven't slept on the bed for awhile (2+ weeks because of travel) it may take a night or two before I can sleep thru the night and not wake up hot. Also, if you return to a very cold house after vacation, the mattress will be rock hard. We learned that lesson when we turned down our heat to 55 and arrived home at 1 am. It took a LONG time for that bed to warm up. Now we turn on the heat to the house a few hours before we arrive (via our iphone).

My chiropractor use to recommend the Temperpedic beds. He now says the sleep numbers are the best for people with back pain. I think we may try it for our next bed.

o

I ordered a sample of the foam from Tempurpedic, and it really stirred up my allergies, so I figured it had some kind of chemicals in it.

We slept in a sleep number bed at a bed and breakfast a couple of years ago, and neither one of us could get comfortable no matter what we set our sides on.

o

We hated our memory foam mattress! DH and I both found it way too hot...and I'm one of those people that's always cold!

A few years ago we spent a small sum on an organic mattress with a natural latex topper. It's seriously the best purchase we have ever made! We never wake up sore or achy from sleeping in that bed. DH hates staying anywhere else b/c he loves our mattress so much.

o

A bit OT bot sort of not: the individual differences and preferences of people is so fascinating to me. Always something to take away from different experiences.

o

chocolatebunny - do you know the brand of your organic mattress?

o

I have a memory foam topper that I like but I disliked my memory foam pillow.

o

We've had a TempurPedic for five years or so and love it; it cured my hip pain. Paid an astonishing amount for it, of course, and I have no experience with other brands that are supposed to be very similar. Only thing we don't like is that it's so heavy it wll require a crane to move it if we ever need to. (It's a Cal King, so heavier than some.)

o
rephrase: anyone dislike their (non-generic) tempurpedic mattress

So far, what I've read so far, that of the knock-offs, some people like them and some don't. However, of those who bought the original, name brand TempurPedic, everyone who answered LOVED theirs. Are there any TempurPedic owners out there who HATE them?

If no one speaks up, maybe what this means is that there have been no effective copycats...

o

I have to concur with the people who said that Tempurpedic helped joint pain. I have had hip pain since both of my pregnancies years ago and the Tempurpedic has relieved the pain I used to get lying in bed. It has really amazed me. Same with my DH and back pain. Funny, but I haven't had the heat issue. The mattress is stiff when you first get it, but your body temperature softens it up. It really does a great job of supporting your joints. I learned that it was actually invented by NASA to support the broken legs of expensive race horses for recovery. Has anyone else heard this?

o

I like an extra firm mattress, but DH needs something softer. We added a memory foam topper and my back started aching. I had the same reaction to Tempur-Pedic beds in store when I tried them. I truly hate the feeling of a mattress that "conforms" to me, so memory foam doesn't work for me.

Eventually, we bought a latex mattress from flobeds. (They sell memory foam, too, but ours is a regular latex mattress.) It's the perfect solution for us because each side can be configured differently. DH likes the softer zones for his hips and shoulders. My original configuration was a bit too soft, so I moved the zoned layer down lower in the stack and replaced one of the layers with an extra-firm layer. The new layer wasn't very expensive.

o

Very interesting thread - I'll add my $.02.

DH and I bought a TempurPedic about ten years ago, breathtakingly expensive, but DH had back problems and it came with a lifetime guarantee. We LOVED it - so a few years ago, when our sons grew out of twin beds we decided to splurge and buy them full size TempurPedics. They're both athletes and we rationalized the expense by believing we would spare them any future back issues they might have inherited from their Dad.

The boys' TempurPedics just don't feel the same to me. I don't know if TempurPedic's boom in popularity in the last ten years meant they started making an inferior product, using cheaper materials, rushing through production... I don't know. Our King Size mattress is so firm and dense, the boys' full size feel kind of squiggly and mushy. If anything, the smaller size would have made them firmer, right?

So a mixed review. I still love ours, going on over ten years old. The boys, not so much.

o
RE: re:Anyone Dislike Their Memory Foam Mattress?

Oh, I forgot an odd detail: when I described this mis-matched mattress situation to a friend once, she suggested that the store that sold us the mattresses ( I think it was the Sleepy's chain) might have sold us TempurPedics and then delivered some Brand X memory foam substitute in a TempurPedic mattress cover.

Never would've imagined such shenanigans in the mattress trade, but I suppose it's possible....

o

TempurPedic owner here, we bought it about 5 years ago. We both love it and it feels the same today as it did when we first bought it and yes it was expensive. We bought a more expensive model without the topper, some of the models we looked at had a mf topper on them. I purchased a memory foam topper from Sam's club for the top and other than turning over seems more difficult neither of us notice that we are any warmer. They threw in 2 TP pillows when we bought the bed and after having constant neck problems I ditched the pillow and my neck no longer hurts. The pillows must weigh 40 pounds, they are so heavy.

o

We replaced a two year old Stearns & Foster pillow top because after only one year DH and I both started to have mild back pain. After much research we decided on latex. We bought the Sealy Spring Free. We have had it for 4 years now and it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I almost hate to go away now, because I miss my bed too much! I tried many memory foam mattresses when we were shopping but just didn't like the way they felt. I was also very concerned about the heat factor. I know that it doesn't bother everyone, but it is a concern I have heard from far too many to take the risk. We did buy our daughter a memory foam mattress last year (not a Tempurpedic). We're replacing it because she's experiencing lots of rib/side pain. Our pediatrician was the one who asked about the mattress.

o

Our memory foam mattress that we disliked was NOT a TempurPedic, but a knock off from Costco I believe.

DH however did have a TempurPedic memory form pillow that he disliked b/c he said that it too was too hot.

Jillinnj - we got our mattress from Lifekind. I believe it's called the Traditional. And I was mistaken on our topper - it's called the Cloud natural rubber pillow top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifekind mattress and topper

o

Last summer, we bought a king memory foam mattress that we really like, although it turned out to be a little firmer than we had thought, so we bought it a memory foam topper from Costco, since we'd had a Costco topper for our old queen mattress that we adored.

Alas, Costco isn't selling the old white toppers. Now they have horrid blue ones that, although they are the same brand, are inferior products. The new ones are too soft, and they buckle and wad up under the sheets. Grrr.

But to answer the original topic, memory foam mattresses can be very nice, depending on the brand. Ours is a local brand, so I won't list it, but so far it seems durable.

It is warm, but we knew to expect that. We like it, because we can turn the heat waaaay down at night and still be toasty. We no longer use flannel bedding in the winter, and don't switch to a winter duvet, either. This made the cost of buying new king bedding much cheaper--just one summer comforter and a few sets of cotton sheets work year round.

o

I love my FloBeds Latex Kit that has split Latex Cores and three cores are on each side of the bed with a topper. This way each side of the bed can be adjusted for the comfort level of each person. I can't feel the split in the middle of the bed since the topper covers both sides and has a zippered comfortable organic cotton with some wool in-between cover making the mattress look like a conventional mattress. I could not handle the outgassing of the memory foam and how hard it got in the winter time for me but too hot in the summer time.

o

We have a 14" memory foam mattress and love it! The amount of layers makes a huge difference. Ours has 4. Bottom layer is 9" of foam, then 3" of ventilated memory foam, then 1" of a different weight of memory foam, and the top is 1" of quilted ventilated memory foam (same weight as the second layer). Ours was very pricey, but well worth it. DH had back problems for years and never really got good sleep. He said after the first night, he could tell a difference. We both get the best sleep now. It does sleep a bit warm. We sleep with a sheet and lightweight quilt all year long.

We have a 10" memory foam mattress at our lake house. It is only 2 layers. 5" of ventilated memory foam over 5" high density foam. I don't like it at all, but we only sleep it on the weekends, so I can put up with it. I wish we would have at least purchased the 12". I think the top layers make a big difference.

We purchased them through a friend who owns a mattress business. Ours are both Sleep Harmony. They are very comparable to Tempurpedic. I don't think we'd ever go back to a regular mattress.

o

You're right, todd, it's so interesting to read about all the differences. So much of it is probably attributable to brand and composition of the foam, so I'm glad folks are mentioning those specifics. I've got a bad back and have been looking for the perfect mattress for years.

Our memory foam mattress was cheap (c. $1000) from some chain store like Mattress Behemoth. We just hated it; we'd wake up deep in a crevass feeling like we were gasping for air. It certainly made my slipped disc feel much worse. Having always had firm spring mattresses, I also really disliked the sensation of not being able to turn over easily during the night. We experienced the cheap memory foam warmth as quite unpleasant, like wearing a polyester sweater that doesn't breathe and getting slimy from your own sweat. I realized that I'd personally rather have a breathable firm mattress and lots of flannel and down comforters.

Has anyone felt like this with a Tempurpedic? I wonder how much of the brand's reputation is hype and how much is due to actual superiority of the material they use?

Also, I'm interested in folks' positive Sleep Number experiences. I slept on a friend's once and it was awful, like one of those old air mattresses we used camping in the 1970's.

We picked up a 2" Belgian natural (talalay) latex topper last time we were in Europe, and that thing is indescribably comfortable on top of a quality innerspring mattress.

If you go that route, I can recommend the innerspring mattresses from Gardner's in Salem, Massachusetts - custom made locally and they are the old-fashioned kind that you can flip over to distribute the wear. They come with something like a 20-year warranty, and are not that expensive, comparatively, for their quality. I consider one of these plus topper preferable to the "pillow-top" kind put out by the big 'S' brands that gradually wear deep depressions in the foam top.

Looking forward to hearing from more folks; trying to find the elusive perfect mattress is like hunting for a unicorn, isn't it?

o

Please don't think that a Sleep Number bed would be any different. We bought one for a guest room. It is like sleeping in a hammock very hard. I invested another $400 to add a latex topper to it which helped but it's just not comfortable and seems so cheaply made. It's a queen size without the center divide because when I tried it in the store you could really feel the foam separation rails down the middle. If you feel you want an air mattress bed go and get a nice camping mattress and put a latex topper on it.

On the other hand, we have had a Comfortaire air mattress in our master bedroom for over 10 years. It's been wonderful. So different than the SN. The only reason I bought the SN was because of their marketing savvy and I thought how different can it be? Also there is a store on every corner. Be aware, I think they are franchises. The Comfortaire is hard to find but it is far superior, I would urge you to try both if you are set on it. Of course in the last 10 years they are probably not of the same quality as they once were -saying this based on the demise of quality in everything else since manufacturing has moved offshore. One lady told me how heartbroken they were that they spend 5K on a SN bed and that her back hurts worse than ever. YMMV...some love it and some hate it...

o

While researching latex bedding I came across a website that goes in to great detail on the different kinds available and the pros and cons of memory foam as well. They also manufacture air beds, too. There are videos where you can see exactly how they are constructed. It was a good learning tool for me.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way. I just found their website very informative. They also have a great return policy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Habitat Furnishings

o

Sister has Tempurpedic Cloud and hates it. Too hard. I think she paid about 3k. I have a Sealy Spring Free Latex. Then I put a 3" latex topper over it that I rotate monthly. Heavenly bed.

o

Circuspeanut - I'm pretty sure ours is of a lesser quality and I wish I'd have known more prior to purchasing.

I feel due for an extended wknd. and New England is my favorite place - maybe a trip to MA? :o)

Covingtoncat - thank you so much for the link!

o

Goodness no, we LOVE our Tempurpedic . We have the Contour Signature, and it is amazing. After my first night's sleep on it I woke up without pain for the first time in years! It is not too hot. We did first try a Classic (has no air vents) and found it hot, so we exchanged it for the Contour Signature and now we are 100% happy. We are both side sleepers, though I sometimes roll onto my back.

o

We have had our king size Tempurpedic for 3+ years and LOVE it.

I like a firm bed and we originally bought a firmer version (less Tempuerpedic material) and didn't like it so we used their return policy to upgrade to a slightly softer version. It was more expensive, but so worth it!
We don't find it hot and after 3 years there are no indentations or that annoying rolling into the middle feeling we had with our last mattress.
I move around a lot at night, and while I think it has helped to reduce my tossing and turning somewhat, it certainly hasn't stopped it. The part I love is that I can toss and turn away and not worry about waking DH because his side of the mattress doesn't move at all no matter what I do. In 'normal' beds I'm always worried about waking him whic just makes me even more antsy.

We always enjoy going home after a trip so we can sleep on that mattress!
A king size Tempurpedic is a pain in the butt to move though and for people who move as often as we seem to, that is the biggest downside!

o

I was hoping this post would help me make up my mind as well as I am due for a new mattress. It just confirms to me that it is all based on the individual. I guess what I take away from this is to buy at a store with a good return policy!

o

We have had two Sleep Number beds. I loved them for years. I like a very squishy bed so I could make it as soft as I could stand. But, after a while I could feel myself sinking in the center (like the hammock that was mentioned!). When sleeping on my stomach I could feel pressure on my lower back from arching all night. I'm not sure if this happens to all of their beds and I really thought they were the best for a long time. I tried a tempupedic but it was too firm for me. Even though it molded to me, I felt the pressure of it. I have since learned they have different styles so I was probably on a firm one and that was my fault. We wanted a custom size so we picked a DUX mainly for size. It also has the three chambers that was mentioned so you can each adjust how firm you want it at your feet, your middle, and head. I feel it's supportive, but also springy enough to make me happy. They use natural latex which supposedly keeps it from getting hot and you don't have to worry about the off gassing. I'm sensitive to chemicals so that part was worth it to me. BTW, I'm just sharing my experience and certainly not trying to sell you on buying one. They probably cost much more than they are worth and their service is horrible.. but the bed is fantastic and we are pretty happy. Like someone else said, the topper is latex and not connected so when this wears out (and they said it will) we can replace that and not the entire bed.

I also think you should try a topper before you give up on your bed. That would solve the heat problem and you'd have relief on the pressure points. I'd look into a natural topper of some sort.. some are filled with wool which supposedly helps with heat (counterintuitive to me).

For what it's worth, my physical therapist has said sleeping on your stomach is the worst, the side is best, back is second choice.

o

We had a tempurpedic for 8 yrs or so. We loved it in the beginning. The one we had is still made, but very different from the new ones available. We wanted to add a twin to the king we have and went to the mattress store to see what our options were. We decided that we really did need a new king as well. DH loved the contour I think and I liked a different one. they suggested getting two xl twins, well, three for us since we needed wider, and we didn't really like that idea.

I had read a bunch about kingsdown and we tried it out. There are mixed reviews out there, but apparently they have changed the spec and lines on their mattresses to address issues. they have various levels. I think we ended up with a level 6. The best part of all is taht you can have each half be a differnt firmness, but it is all one mattress. We are in love. :) It hasnt been that long, and hopefully it will hold up. DH says he hasn't slept this well in years. He falls asleep instantly and it used to take him hours. We got a red and blue mixed king and a blue twin. It was expensive, but so far seems worth it.

I can't believe how high the mattress is! we have it on the floor and it is about 4 times as high as our old tempurpedic. We almost got the box spring. I am so glad we didn't.

It does feel cooler to me, and the other main difference is I do feel DH roll over where as on the tempurpedic you didn't notice a thing. It isnt enough to wake me, I just feel it if I am awake, but it is a difference.

o

ttodd, what did you do?

We have a Sealy Spring Free. Purchased in 2007. Just recently went to Atlanta and had a fantastic night's sleep. I pulled all the bedding back and discovered it was the same mattress I had in my house. So why is my mattress not so great? I think it might be sinking. So I called the store where I bought it and exercised my warranty. They came out and measured. Yep, the sides sank. Full credit to pick out a new one.

So, make sure to see if there is something wrong first. You may find yourself getting a credit towards a new mattress.

Ours is a natural latex product. It is not hot at all. Prior to this we had a memory foam topper. Hotter than hades.

It's been suggested to buy a very firm mattress and add the dense latex topper as many have suggested above.

Another thing that I read once is to remember your mattress isn't supposed to be a plush, cushy, fluffly cloud. It is utilitarian, meant to allow you to get the rest you need. Once I "got" that, things became much clearer.

Bee

o

What a coincidence. It's time to replace a mattress here, and yesterday afternoon, I tried out several organic latex mattresses at a shop in a nearby town. I might drive to a second shop selling organic mattresses today.

The shop I visited yesterday carries mattresses by two companies, and I tried each. Both company's mattresses are 100% organic, with organic natural rubber latex (talalay and/or dunlop, depending on the mattress), cotton, and wool as the components. There were three different mattress styles (or systems) -- innerspring + latex and two all-natural rubber mattresss systems. I found the innerspring + latex system too firm for my taste. If I understand it correctly, in the first type of all-natural rubber mattress construction, the latex layers are permanently enclosed in the cover; thus, you choose your degree of firmness and cannot change it with time. In the second, you also customize the mattress by ordering up to three different latex layers, each potentially of a different firmness (ie, soft, medium, firm). According to one company's brochure, popular configurations include medium, firm, firm; soft, med., firm; soft, soft, med.; and so on -- what is that? Three factorial, I think. But you get the point -- you can customize to your taste. With king beds, I suppose what you can do is customize each side as well. Another interesting thing about the customizable system is that, should something happen to one of the layers with time, or if your own needs change, you can replace one or more layers, rather than have to replace the entire mattress set.

At any rate, I've already decided that, given what I've read and heard about the chemical composition of non-organic foam mattresses, such as the Tempurpedic, the only mattresses I will consider buying will be 100% organic. Apparently, I'm not the only person who thinks that way - one of the shop owners told me that at least a couple of people have come to the shop quite soon after sleeping on their new Tempurpedic mattresses. Their reaction to the odor was so intense that they're now in the market for organic foam mattresses. These things are very pricy, but my feeling is: I'll be spending a large proportion of my life on one, and I don't plan to replace it regularly.

o

We have had a Sleep number mattress (bought it when they were still called Select Comfort)for over twelve years. We love it, the company was very responsive to a problem we had a few years in with an air chamber, and it has helped my husband get a decent night's sleep, in spite of his bad back. Would highly recommend this mattress to anyone.

o

We have a Talalay latex mattress. During the decision process I did a lot of research and found this place that sells the individual layers in any combination of densities that you want, plus also sells the zip around covers.
We were able to "make" a customized mattress for much less than the Prana I was looking at. We used four layers -- two 32, one 24 and a 14 plus a very thin soft inch of 10 on top. There was a whole web site where customers talked about the combinations they used and made recommendations. The layers came all compressed into balls. They pop open, and you stack them up and zip them in. I will say it is not the prettiest mattress but once the bed is made, you never know. And it is so comfortable! I think the place was called Mark's Memory Foam but they sold as much or more latex.

o

When I married my ex, he had a sleep number bed. I didn't know anything about them, and I hated it. I later learned it was because the foam upright pieces, which are replaceable, had degraded and that's why we had such a "dip" in the middle.

We got rid of it not knowing that and got a memory foam - hated it! He loved it though, so after the split I got a plain old semi firm mattress and am just fine.

The moral is every one is sooo different, you really have to try, try, try for yourself.

o

Funny, I just got home from a few nights in a very nice inn in Bucks County. My girls and I hated hated hated the mattresses. I was so unhappy I was set to complain (one night in this place could pay for a nice king mattress wholesale I am sure). When I looked under the sheet, it was a Tempurpedic. Gee, if i were a hotelier I would never take that risk.

o

We bought a generic memory foam just over a year ago and love it. I thought our old spring mattress was fine, but DH didn't like it so talked me into the memory foam. I'm always cold anyway so the additional small amount of heat I feel works fine for me.

It was a spur of the moment situation without any research. I'm almost glad I didn't research the decision like I normally would because you all scare me with your stories. :)

o

mtnrdredux, which inn did you stay at, if you don't mind the question? Hope you had a good time (other than when on the mattress). You should have stopped by to say hello. ;)

On the topic: I tried out all the organic mattresses at store #2. I didn't particularly care for mattress sets consisting of innerspring + latex foam layers and disliked mattresses in any combo of all latex or innerspring + latex foam that were topped with a layer of firm latex. However, I thought I'd gone to heaven when on all-latex sets in which top and/or middle layers were of medium firmness, also when top layers were soft and middle layers were medium firm. Store #1 should be getting in two more mattresses some time within the next week or two, and I plan to try them before making a choice, if any. One mattress is to be the top-of-the-line all latex set offered by one company sold in the store; the other is to be an innerspring and latex layers set. I'll give the latter a chance but, if experience is a guide, probably will not like it.

Innerspring + latex sets appear to be reasonably priced and closer (close to?) the price of "regular," nonorganic mattresses. I'm not familiar with the price of nonorganic memory foam mattresses.

Re: sleep number beds. My only experience with these was indirect. But still very unpleasant. I'd been at a meeting, and hotel had these beds. Me? I just got into bed at night and went to sleep, but someone I met at the meeting had wanted to adjust the number. While trying to do so, the mechanism broke, and her bed was stuck at the hardest number as it were. She told me she had one of the worst nights of sleep ever. Like I said, my only experience with those beds, so take that for what it's worth.

o

We had a memory foam mattress, and hated it. We liked it at first but it was just too hard to change positions and husband's side developed a huge crater where he slept. We returned it and bought the firmest mattress without a pillowtop that we could find.

o

I hate my memory foam mattress too. But it's nearly new and I'm pretty sure we can't return it. Because my spine is not in alignment when I sleep, it absolutely kills my hip - I have had back surgery.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of topper I could get that would solve the sinking-in feeling, trouble turning over, and the bed crater? Right now I'm using rugs and bath towels, layered under where my butt rests, trying to keep from sinking down too far . . . .

o

Last April we bought a TempurPedic Cloud Supreme mattress. I actually was quite content with our previous pillow-top mattress but hubby was insisting that we try out the TempurPedic. At first it really didn't phase me much. I hated the odor of the bed but it did go away soon enough. As the months passed on, I have become very used to this mattress and love it - I love how it holds the shape and I like the support of it. The Cloud Supreme was perfect for us - it almost has that "pillow-top" feel to it - firm but with a cushiony soft feel to the top of it. I hate how expensive it was - I don't understand why these mattreses are so expensive. As far as aches and pains - I think that many factors contribute to that - it could be the position someone sleeps in. I only wake up with aches and pains when I am out of shape - but when I workout for a few days, I find that I ache less. LOL Hubby says that he feels less back ache with this mattress.

Also, I never noticed being hot in this mattress. We were given 2 free tempurpedic pillows and those I hate...they are stiff feeling and meant to support the neck for side sleepers, but often times I roll onto my back and then my neck starts hurting with the way the pillow is made. These free pillows were supposedly $100 (but we got them free with purchase). We now stashed the pillows in the closet because we hate them. LOL

o

I also wanted to mention that the Sleep Number Bed smelled like a rubber tire for weeks, it was gagging to smell but did eventually go away.

o

Lynxe, There is a joke in there somewhere. We stayed at the Barley Sheaf. There is a real dearth of nice places that accommodate children in the area. Barley Sheaf common areas are nice and they have very nice breakfasts, but the rooms are quite long in the tooth, esp for the price. I thought you were in DE?

o

littlebug5 - have you tried a leg pillow? One place I know that sells them is Bed, Bath and Beyond. It won't help with the sinking, but it does help to align the hips. I couldn't sleep without it, I have back problems as well.

o

We just (finally!) got rid of our memory foam mattress....what a relief. We both woke up with backache every day. I hated that mattress, would never ever want memory foam again! We have a new pocket coil mattress...so comfortable and best of all no more backaches...bliss!!

o

I use a leg pillow, definitely helps align my back/hips.

We had a Costco memory foam mattress for about 4 years, then moved it to the guest room. It's not a bad mattress but I never loved it.

When we moved and had room for a king bed we looked at the "real" brand name memory foam but neither DH nor I could fathom spending that kind of $$ on a mattress. And lying on one, even for 10 minutes as the salesman suggested, did nothing to sway us.

We ended up with a S&F mattress, actually 2 XL twins as the King would not fit up the stairs (yay pre-Revolutionary War homes!) and DH loves it. Me, not so much, but it's better than the memory foam, which I still sleep on from time to time when DH is out of town and DD and I "camp out" downstairs in the guest room.

o

Latex is a fast growing allergy in the US. Many people are allergic to latex and have to state it to their doctors and in the emergency room so as not to be exposed to it.
Buying a latex mattress or pillow could start overexposure to the chemicals. If you put one in your guest room, make sure you notify the guest who would end up sleeping on it!
anaphylaxis is not to be taken lightly.

I recently learned all this as one family member's sensitivity got more severe without warning. The over-exposure of chemicals happens, we do not 'adjust' to them, they are poisons to our system.

Be cautious of anything that knowingly makes you sick, or makes it hard for you to breathe.
Good luck to you all!

o

We bought a Tempurpedic about 8 years ago, and love it. At the time, there was only one model. My DH liked it better than I did in the store, as I was leaning toward a conventional pillow top thing, and he won the toss. At 6' 3" and 200 pounds, he finds the support wonderful, and doesn't mind the warmth, even though he tends to sleep warm. At 5'-5" and 115 pounds, and a cooler engine, I find it takes longer to adjust to me, but after a few minutes I'm happy as a clam. And it did away with years of lower back discomfort for me.

It's also good for us because he hits the pillow and is still and out. I have to read and flap about for a while, and the Tempurpedic really doesn't transfer my squirming to him.

We didn't like the pillows, either, but the kitties love them. What spoiled little critters - Tempurpedic cat beds! Imagine that.

o

we stayed in a hotel in Savannah last year that had a memory foam and DD (8) and I hated it. For me it was like sleeping on the floor. Hurt everywhere when I woke up.

o

We have had one about a yr. and we are not crazy about it. I am sick we paid so much money for it. We both wake up w/ backaches. Ironic, since they are supposed to make backaches go away. Never had one until I started sleeping on this mattress.

o

"I think the place was called Mark's Memory Foam but they sold as much or more latex."
Unfortunely, Mark's went out of business. I got my latex from there too. I LOVE it. I don't know what I will do if I ever need another mattress for another room.
S

o

We had a Stearns and Foster mmf...for about 3 years and got rid of it. It was hot for one thing and was like a taco bed when we both were in it. Funny when it was just me in it, the mattress wasn't too bad but that wasn't very often. DH puts off a lot of body heat so he is like sleeping next to a heater. I contacted the business I purchased it from and they sent out a rep, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it, including slats in our bed, etc. We got rid of it and bought a regular Beautyrest.

o

We have had a Comfortaire since 2006, and the first couple of years we were both very happy and slept like babies. Now; however, DH hates it---says it is like sleeping on a campIng mattress, which it IS an air mattress, so he has a point. I think the problem is the mattress cover, which has a layer of memory foam that has broken down and it has large dips where we sleep. We tried a memory topper, but just ended up sinking further and being miserable. I am regretting buying the plush, fancy-schmancy model because you cannot just replace the cover. For now, we are stuck with a bed that makes my hubby unhappy. Our next bed will be two XL twins, as we cannot get a "normal" bed up our narrow staircase. Arrrgh.

I have been watching this very informative thread and taking mental notes., so thanks, everyone, for the comments!

o

Dh and I bought a Sleep Number bed a few years ago. I *love* that thing - so does he. We call it "the cloud."

We wandered into a Sleep Number kiosk type store in the Mall of America. If you've never been there, then what you need to know that's relevant is that the Mall is huge and loud. I almost fell asleep on the bed that we tried in the store - it was that comfortable for me when we got it adjusted. Dh and I like different firmness levels and this bed allows us to both indulge in what we prefer. No more waking up with a crick in my neck or a sore back. Give it a try.

We got the model 2nd from the bottom and it's been wonderful. I didn't notice any real difference between our model and some of the "super deluxe" super priced models. It was definitely more expensive than our previous $400 mattress, but worth it IMO.

o

Please, please do not fall for the hype twice. The Sleep Number bed is not a good way to go. Same issues as you are having now, sore when you wake up, it sleeps like a hammock and is cheaply made. I had to buy an expensive latex cover for it because it is so hard, if you let air out it is just flatter and hard. It might feel good when you first lay down but then later you are tossing and turning because you are so uncomfortable. It's hideously overpriced as well for what it is. I honestly think you could do as well to get a camping mattress. Also, if you try it for the 30 day trail you cannot return it to the store you have to send it back to the shipper. When you get it you have to put it together as it comes in boxes from UPS or Fed Ex. If you want them to set it up for you it's about $200.

In addition to the Sleep number bed we have a Comfortaire bed and while it is much better made and more comfortable we have had to replace the air mattresses twice over about 10 years. They have changed them since we first bought our bed and they are not the same and now we have a problem as one side looks different than the other. Not to mention while we waited for them to ship a replacement mattress the bed was unusable because it was completely flat one one side. It used to be so comfortable but since they changed it to more foam less air mattress it's not for some reason.

I would not recommend getting an air bed. My hips also hurt when sleeping on them and my neck really hurts when sleeping in the SN bed. From my experience that is my first hand opinion having two of these types of beds one in the master and one in a guest room. If you are set on looking into them still I would recommend the Comfortaire over the SN as I have both and the Comfortaire is more comfortable.

o

We have the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme mattress and I don't think I can live with it anymore. It's just way too soft and not supportive enough. While Tempur-Pedic claims their beds keep your spine in the correct position, I feel like it is pushing my spine into very awkward positions. Ya, it feels great when I first lay down, but after laying in the same position for over an hour, I sink in way too much. My back and neck hurt every morning. Maybe one of the firmer tempur pedics would have been better. However, my hubby loves the mattress and we hate to get rid of it and lose all that money.

o

Sorry to bring this post up again.............but I'm in misery
bought a cloud luxe (b$g bucks as you all know)
my hips just KILL me in the morning. I don't get it. I even rotate , and the side I wake up on is the killer. (it happens on both sides)
I'm in my early 50's, 130#, totally healthy. got a bone density test the other day, my bones way above normal. no injuries ever to my hips, I just don't GET it!?!?!?!?
I read the tempurpedics do "bottom out" so to say. even with the uber soft cloud luxe. My husband says it feels like sleeping on cement.
I've had so many beds over the years, ruined some in movings, some made a trench down the center with short time. I like soft beds. Husband sleeps in different bed now so this new bed will be for me.
I find that as I'm working thru the day, the pain goes away -- my work requires lots of exercise and lifting, pulling etc.
when I was younger I had a wonderful mattress -one of the big 3- and i used a featherbed too from scandia, that was heaven. I don;t think I had a pillow top bed.
so anyone have a "new" bed lately (since they redo their technology so to speak) and like it ????? I need ideas help anything. My tempurpedic is not quite a year old--still paying it off LOLOLOL -so will I be able to sell it on CL?

o

For whatever it is worth! Our friends had a temper-pedic and didn't like it. They went back to the store to schedule a pickup as it was within the 30 day window. A salesman listened and asked if they had "walked" on top of it? They said no, didn't know they had to. He asked that they go home, have the husband walk all over it and he did. They said their sleep that night was totally different than before. They still have it several years later and love it. The walking loosened up the foam, ,they said.

Today our sleep number bed is being delivered. We bought the I10. I have severe stenosis, bulging disc, and arthritis in the L4/L5 area. I will let you know how I sleep in the next few night. I wake up so sore in our regular (expensive) mattress.

o

thanks--and I did jump, walk, you name it, I've even slept on different sides, upside down (no joke) but I can't afford to buy another bed till next summer, so when I change sheets next I will have another field day of running in circles around/on the bed. grrrr It's just soooo annoying and I really only get pain on my left hip, but I sleep on my right side. ??? Am I twisted while I sleep or what?

o

Cottagecindy, I too had a pain in my left hip and couldn't get comfortable. I had an MRI and I have spinal stenosis which is an inflammation around the spinal cord. Mine is at the L4/L5 and its pushing on a nerve, hence the pain. Good luck! I've had two steroid shots and they have helped for a short amount of time.

o

I agree that you should probably see a doctor if you are in so much chronic pain. You may also want to try sleeping with a pillow between your knees, your hip may be falling in front or behind the plane of your body (or pelvis twisting) during your sleep. A pillow might help keep it aligned.

The model we have doesn't bottom out, DH is about 165lbs and I am 125, so heavier people may have a different experience and the sales person should have taken into account your build when recommending a mattress.

o

Broken record here: Try a natural not synthetic latex foam mattress. In the meantime, maybe a natural latex topper?

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent mattress thread

o

I can also recommend natural latex. We have a natural latex mattress and topper. We bought both at local stores. Right after we bought the mattress, we were still using our 3" memory foam topper from Costco (the old style from 5+ years ago). I was still waking up with hip and lower back pain, and if I flopped onto my back, I'd wake up feeling like my back was over-arched. We got rid of that topper and replaced it with a 4" natural latex topper. What a difference! I no longer have pain when I wake up, and if I'm on my back, I sleep beautifully. It's also not hot, which is a nice change (I woke up in a full body drenched sweat many, many times with the memory foam).

Another thing--if you have hip and lower back pain, I can recommend propping your leg up on a pillow. I have a Comfort U pillow, but I can't recommend their new version (tried it, stayed with my old one). A body pillow or two would work as well. It really helps keep everything aligned while sleeping on your side.

o

dawn, where did you buy your latex topper?

o

We bought a MF mattress from Bed in A Box. After a week my daily wake up aches & pains were going away & soon gone. I love it! However, my wife has gone the opposite way. Too soft for her, wants to go back to what we had. I can't give up my new found freedom of pain. Is there such a thing as a topper that makes MF harder or another means to accomplish this for her side of the bed without me losing my needs?

o

mitchmurr62, maybe you could cut the topper in half so it doesn't cover her side? I wonder if she might just need to get used to it... I could never give up my tempurpedic bed I can't sleep on other beds well!

o

This is a great thread. Problem is, a lot of people who dislike or like their temperpedic knock off are not indicating the brand. With Temperpedic users, it's easy, they spent a fortune and they know they own a temperpedic that they like/dislike. But the rest of the people don't all know what they used, though even a knock off is still $. So if you know what brand yours is and model too would be great to know. Some people know where they bought it but still doesn't really help. Any such info appreciated. Maybe we can gather some date of which knock off's work well for most and which don't. I get that we're all different with different needs, but look at the temperpedic, it has universal appeal overall. It would seem there would be a knock off that was similarly likeable as there has been ample time for manufacturers to copycat and do it well, or even better...

o

I have severe pain issues (head, neck, back, tmjd etc...) and love my temperpedic pillow. My current mattress is sagging and my pain is worse than normal, 15 years old. Will buy a topper or something to hold me over till I can buy a mattress and bed too as mine is only a twin and I need full.

Not loving the toxic stuff I read about all foam though. I wonder if I need a latex/foam combo so it's not all foam? Though I worry I may give up some comfort? Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

o

I have slept on memory foam for about 15 years.

Right now I have a DIY mattress.

6" HD LUX 2.5 lbs base foam by foambymail.com

4" Aerus 4 lbs by foamex

2" Venus 8 lbs by foamex

Generic terrycloth cover.

About $1200 for King

All made in the USA.

Made in China major offgasing.

Made in USA minimal offgassing particularly foam made by Foamex and Tempurpedic.

Any bedding with fire retardant chemicals will offgas .

The only way to get bedding without fire retardant chemicals is to get a note from a doctor saying you are hyper allergic to fire retardant chemicals and buy bedding from an allergy store.

o

We had our Sleep Number Bed for about 7 years I would say. But I'm so glad it's gone now. I hated every minute of sleeping on it. :(

I have a new mattress now, and I don't think it's so great either :(

o

i absolutely hate our latex mattress that we paid 6K for. our backs started aching as soon as the exchange period was up. after just two years it developed a big mountain in the middle. i had to stay at a friend's and suffer through her guest room tempurpedic and i thought i would die before morning. the reason she had a tempurpedic in her guest room, was apparently because she hated it too.
right now i'm searching for a good, old fashioned coil spring mattress that can be FLIPPED and positioned on an adjustable (leggett & platt) base. i will top it with some kind of memory foam topper to soften it up a bit and finally be happy. the topper shouldn't be a problem, since the coil mattress will be all that's needed for proper support. of course, finding the mattress is the difficult part. no one wants us to have mattresses that last 20 years anymore.

o

Well, it has only been a year, but I still love my kingsdown mattresses!

o

We forked over the $$$ for a Tempurpedic last year--and it made my arthritis WORSE. We returned it and got a softer T-pedic. Awesome, it's wonderful! I can sleep in any position without being in pain.

Moral of the story: anyone who hates their Tempurpedic might not have the right mattress version for their body type or ailment.

o

Statistics from mattress companies and market research companies show pretty consistently that memory foam has the highest percentage of people that are very satisified/would buy again/ recommend to a friend. And the highest percentage of very unsatisfied customers who would not buy again recommend to a friend. Memory foam is love it or hate it. I recommend to family and friend they try a memory foam topper first before buying mattress. One similar to the comfort layer foam for the memory foam mattress they are considering.

Inner spring mattress gets the lowest percentage for both very satisfied and very unsatisfied customers. Most think their mattress is ok.

Latex is usually in between. Probably because of the expense. Even the cheapest generic latex mattress is significantly more expensive than cheapest memory foam or inner spring mattress. Therefore, higher expectations.

Usually they don't get scientifically valid samples for air beds, water beds, gel mattress or other micro niche beds/mattress. Nope, Select Number company numbers don't count:)

o

Just for the record. We have a Sealy memory foam mattress and love it. DH has always had back pain and our old spring type mattress was killing him. Upgraded to a nice pillow top and he was still aching each morning. Bought the Sealy memory foam two years ago and have been sleeping well with no problems with being too warm, or trench in the middle again. It was not overly costly, purchased at a local mattress store for around $800 for a queen.

o

I bought 2 memory foam pillows; stored one and used the other for quite some time until I began to connect waking up miserable with congestion and light headaches with the pillow. Made it into a cat bed and issues cleared up right away. Fast forward about a year, found the other pillow still brand new sealed in package - tried again, and in no time recognized the same reaction: I know for certain I could not tolerate the chemical outgassing of a MF mattress. Cat has a new bed. Recently was a guest for two weeks, and hips began to hurt until I got home to my innerspring mattress made by a different Massachusetts company than Circuspeanut's. Mine is an ultra soft pillowtop - like sleeping on a cloud - love, love love it still after 8 years. Like I loved my heated unbaffled waterbed years ago! You never hear of them anymore, LOL! Oh yeah, my point was maybe try a MFpillow before investing in the whole enchilada.

o

I would wake up in the morning crabby because I tossed and turned and my shoulders, hips, and knees hurt. Sometimes my back too. The pain I felt upon getting out of bed was so bad I looked like a little old lady shuffling off to the bathroom in the mornings. I knew I needed a new mattress but frankly I have other things I wanted to spend my money on. So I settled on a 4 inch 5 pound MF topper by Memory Foam Solutions that I bought off Amazon. Oh wow what a difference. I don't toss and turn anymore but I do still turn over occasionally. It is a little more difficult to move around but that's a fair trade off for not having painful pressure points, aching hips and knees, etc. I wake up refreshed and actually feel awake and glad to be starting a fresh day.

I still need a new mattress but for now this MF topper is a lifesaver. I will probably buy a firm MF mattress and continue to use this topper when I finally do 'spring' for a new mattress.

o

I bought my memory foam mattress just a couple of months ago after sleeping on a normal pocket coil mattress for my entire life. I was a little bit worried about having such a soft bed since I have back problems and everything you read tells you that sleeping on a firm bed is best for your back. But after a couple months of use I don't think I could go back to a normal mattress.

I opted to go with the smallest layer of foam I could find which was 8 inches, so not the softest mattress but still way more comfortable than my old bed.

The only problem I have had was the smell when I unwrapped the plastic, it was pretty strong and I guess I didn't let it air out since the smell seeped into the comforter I had over it and just ruined the poor thing.

Anyway, I would urge anyone interested in memory foam to at least try it in a store, don't dismiss it out of hand

o

Just thought I'd chime in on my latex experience.

I had an "S" brand innerspring mattress that caused me zero back pain but, because of its age, it was beginning to sag so I needed a new mattress. I wanted to go chemical free, if possible, so I looked at latex. Spent SIX MONTHS researching and testing mattresses. Finally decided on a Savvy Rest DIY, and that thing is MISERABLE. I have had it five months now and wake up every morning in excruiciating pain. I have no health issues, and am physically fit. After trying many toppers to try to relieve the pain/pressure, I finally get some (but not much) relief from a feather topper.

I did some forum searches on other sites to see if anyone else had that issue and, guess what..yep..they did and do! Apparently the issue with latex is that it "pushes back" against you. Now, the theory is that such push-back is supposed to provide a supportive, yet comfortable sleeping surface. HOWEVER, that push-back is what causes the pain and stiffness in some people. From what I've read on the forums, if you like a soft mattress or if you are lighter weight, you won't like a latex mattress. I don't know if that's true or not, but all I know is that I HATE going to bed now. I dread it. I know the pain is caused from my mattress because a couple of hours after I get out of bed, I feel fine.

Given that I spent a half a fortune on that mattress, I decided to "make do" and just get a topper. But even with that I have pain. I am dumping that (prohibitively expensive) latex thing, and going with something else. (At this point, I am not sure what. But I am thinking of going back to an innerspring with a CertiPur certification. That't not the best chemical-free option, but I figure the pain my latex mattress is causing me will result in more ill health effects than some slight off-gassing.)

I was thinking of trying the Sleep Number bed, but afte reading reviews here, I'm staying away from those, too. As I said, I honestly don't know what I will get next, but I need a solution SOON.

Sheesh. Buying a mattress shouldn't be this difficult.

o

YES I totally jumped on board with the hype. After a year or two my husband started complaining about back pains, and to be honest I wasn't very comfortable either.

Also ive heard a lot of issues with possible toxicity issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: toxic memory foam?

o

Depends on the person and the mattress. I spent $500 on a memory foam mattress at Costco 8 years ago and it has been great: no change in density, off-gassing was done in 24 hours, and the best back support I've ever had. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a mattress to get a good one...and sometimes lots of money does not get you the result you want.

o

I think the achy hips/back are because you chose a T-pedic model with foam too dense for your body. I returned my first 2nd generation, super high tech Tempur mattress (90 day trial) because of what you describe--it was also too warm--and got another version closer to the original, lower tech, less dense foam, even less expensive. I hit paydirt on the second try, I love it!

o

Stayed in a vacation rental that had a TempurPedic, felt like I was sleeping in sand. Woke up in the same positon I fell asleep in. Did not like it.

Know it was a TempurPedic because I checked the label - to make sure I never bought one of them.

Have been wanting to try a sleep number; some Radisson hotels have them, which sees like a great way to check out a mattress.

o

My Mom and brother have had a Tempurpedic for years and they both love it. My Mom said she stays in one spot but that she is comfortable. I was thinking of getting one. My daughter and wife have a sleep number and they love it because they both like such different levels of firmness.

Here is a link that might be useful: SleepMentor

o

I love Tempurpedic pillows, though they are fugly.

We stayed at an inn with a Tempurpedic mattress and I hated it; "sleeping in sand" is apt.

o

I just got a tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, a newer model. I can't wait until it's delivered and I get to try it for real! We went bed shopping on four different occasions, laid on the beds for a minimum of a half hour each. We read sleep like the dead before we went. We asked everyone we knew what stye had. I almost fell asleep in the store.

o

We asked everyone we knew what stye had. I almost fell asleep in the store.

My problem isn't falling asleep, it's waking up because I'm running hot and cold. I've heard memory foam runs "hot". I'm thinking of getting an icomfort gel mattress. Anyway, kjente, keep us posted on how you like it.

o

HATE HATE HATE it.

Very misleading - molds to your shape? Only if your a mannequin made of steel, then maybe.

Instead the heaviest part of your body indents the most which typically is the belly or butt area.

Worst is neck and shoulders dont have weight to 'indent' like the torso so it sleeping was like when your standing with shoulders hunched over but in horizontal position. Similar to sleeping in a hammock. Ouch.

Woke with neck / back aches only relieved by pushing / holding shoulders far back, sometimes mild, sometimes harsh. Thankfully its in the basement now..

o

Jaynes..what is it that you hate?
SJhckeyfan - there is a new version of the cloud line called cloud elite. It is between the luxe and the supreme - I was torn between the two and went luxe. If for some reason in the 90 day trial, I'll move to that. Anyway, this line is supposed to help with heat distribution.

o

My dh and I have and absolutely love our sleep number M7. It has a 3 inch memory foam topper and is the perfect balance of memory and still reg mattress. Oh we love it ! We had tried their high end pillow top and it didn't feel worth the money . But the memory topper , was the ticket'!
Also we got the adjustable massage base and while it was expensive , we love it .

o

We have an almost 10 year old TempurPedic. I believe it is 10 inches thick. Loved it at first, until I started going through the change. Now the mattress has broken down on my side from all the heat! I sink down in the thing and cannot get out. Turning or changing positions almost require a crane!

I am heavier than DH, so he doesn't seem to mind it. I need a new mattress. Not getting any sleep and waking with aches and pains. This has been going on for about 5 years, although not as bad in the winter months when the mattress stays cooler and firmer.

I told DH that the mattress has hit it's end and we need to do something. I love the beds in Europe and on cruise ships. Something firm. Any suggestions? I have thought about Sleep Number. We have a new store in town.

Tried to wash my fairly new mattress cover in the washing machine, and it disintegrated. So I purchased online, and it was just delivered, a special mattress cover made for pillow-top and foam mattresses. It's called Temperature Control. Not too expensive. I'll put it on the bed tomorrow during sheet change day. I'll let you know how it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress Cover

o

Jaynes123,
That's exactly how I feel about our memory foam mattress. I feel like my butt sinks lower than my shoulders, neck and head. I can barely sleep w/ a pillow it puts such a kink in my neck. Your description fits exactly how I've always felt but couldn't describe.

o

The worst thing about all the mattresses these days is how heavy they are. All that foam (and they all have some foam or latex it seems) is weighty and changing the bed linens is a chore. I need a crane to lift the corners so I can put fitted sheets on. Flat sheets which need tucking in each day would be impossible for me.

o

I briefly read through comments above and only saw one about the Bed in the Box mattress-anyone have any experience with that brand. We are looking for a mattress for spare room and it seems to get really good reviews-but quite a bit cheaper!

o

I was glad to hear that some have problems with these mattresses while others love them. I am one who does not like our tempurpedic. But I hope someone else will love it. It really does feel like sleeping in a cloud. We got the cloud soft/cool breeze. My husband does like it. I am having back pain. (I think I need firm coils). We got the split king/ twin XL. I'd love to sell mine (maybe his, too) for 1/2 what we paid (see link). We live in Bethlehem, PA. (1.5 hours from NYC and Phila, PA). These are appx 16 months old, in great condition, but will need to air out... ya know. (This note will expire in 8/2014).

From their website:
TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze: The perfect combination of extra-soft comfort and TEMPUR-Breeze™ Cooling. TEMPUR-Cloud® Supreme Breeze provides restful comfort, with a 3-part cooling system that really works. The top cover includes TEMPUR-Breeze™ Cooling and moisture-wicking fabric, while the comfort layer with more TEMPUR-Breeze™ Cooling dissipates heat during the night.

Here is a link that might be useful: TempurPedic TEMPUR Cloud Supreme Breeze

o
update:

We have used the new mattress cover (I mentioned above) for two nights. Not only am I not waking with hot sweaty flashes during the night, but the mattress seems firmer to me. I think we will keep the pad. Cheap fix until I can talk DH into buying a new mattress. ;)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:48

o

I really injured my back and shoulder sleeping on memory foam - took me a good year or two to recover. Could not have correct spinal alignment, what with my butt and the center part of me sinking so deep - like sleeping in a hammock. Which screwed up my back but good. The whole sinking effect was a nightmare - just to turn over, it was like I had to half wake up, climb out of a deep hole, and then turn over. The mattress underground website has great information about beds and a helpful forum for choosing a bed. I now have a moderately firm latex on a wooden platform with a inch thick wool pad.. Im sure memory foam works for some people - depends entirely on the mattress and what best supports your weight and body type..

o

We have a memory foam mattress from Sams Club, we are waking up stiff in our lower backs every morning. I have a bad back, had a herniated disc, and I remember sleeping on our old spring mattress by itself on the floor one night, and I slept like a baby. But on a box spring, platform or even sliding boards in between, it just didn't work for our backs. Sounds odd, but something cheap to try out. My husband wants to try the Sleep Number, and refuses to sleep with the mattress on the floor even though he has a stiff back too, so I'm afraid I'm gonna be stuck with yet another bed that doesn't work. Anyone have feedback on the Sleep Numbers?

o

I think some Radisson hotels have them. May be worth a night there to really try it out.

I stayed at a B&B that had the memory foam mattress and also hated it. It was a TempurPedic, I checked the label thinking it might have been a knock-off. Felt like sleeping on sand, I was also sore in the AM.

Good luck.

o

TempurPedic, I checked the label thinking it might have been a knock-off

Knock-off "tempurpedic" are made from exactly the same materials as actual tempurpedics, which are just a well-marketed brand name.

o

Gowera, I have had a sleep number/select comfort for a decade and still love it. If I got a new one, I'd have the memory foam on top of the sleep number bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here