Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_gw

Help! I don't want window treatments (6 pics)... long post.

kats
16 years ago

It's a new year and a new home and now we have to look at getting new window treatments due to a strong southern sun issue. Thing is...I don't want them. I love my windows. They're 9 lite marginals with thick wood stained jambs and I think prettier than any treatment could ever be. In every room I have 9 lite French doors that open on to our back porch. I want inviting rockers outside each. The view is what we built our home for and I hate the thought of covering it up. Privacy is NOT an issue due to the position of the house. Even the 8 guests we've had stay with us opted to NOT use a decorative screen in the guestrooms to cover the French doors b/c they liked laying in bed looking out.

So, here's my dilemma....

***I REALLY cannot picture curtains with our rustic mexican type furniture and heavy leather couches.

***We use our French doors, (all of them, daily) so I need something for them that won't obstruct the view but will make it easy to open and close them.

***On the upper GR windows I'd like to close them only as needed due to the sun. Maybe two hours in the morning and then again in the evening. The sun is already affecting our wood floor and makes morning TV viewing impossible. But I have to be able to reach them or do a motorized shade like a friend mentioned (don't know how bulky those might be).

***The sun in our game room is already affecting our pool table felt and our carpet. Those treatments could be like the normal French door hour-glass type.

***Although not a privacy issue, I would like something on the guest bath window.

***The only real privacy issue we have is the front of the house in our hallway. We have two windows on each end of the house where you can see the street and the occasional passing car.

I'm really hoping you guys have some suggestions for me or those that know photoshop might help me visualize different treatments.

My apologizes for such a long post and lots of pictures.

Thanks for looking.....

Greatroom showing upper unreachable windows and lower French doors..

TV sun issue (normally worse but taken on a foggy morning)

Stained JAMPS...

Gameroom....

Guest bathroom window....

Hall Windows showing street....

Comments (24)

• kalinka_2007
    16 years ago

I think that there are solar shades that keep the sun out and but you can see out of them. The ones I have seen were built inside the windows so your woodwork would not be hidden but it would provide protection from the damaging rays. This is a beautiful home, I would not want to cover those windows either.

• straitlover
    16 years ago

What about that film you can get to go over the glass to cut down on the sun/UV rays? I'm debating on getting a roll to put over my palladian (sp?) window so I can take down the paper Reddi-shade I've had up there for 10 years - LOL! The sun hits it just right in the afternoon and it will blind you!

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

I love the film. We had it professionally installed. We have 3M film. There are different grades. We got the Prestige line. We were looking for high-wind protection (we live in coastal Florida), and also heat and sun protection.
    Good luck.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Well after seeing your stunning house, all I can say is I wish I had your problem.

I agree, start with having film applied professionally to your windows to cut down sun and UV damage. Then consider simple moterized blinds - you want something that will blend in and not draw attention to itself like drapes or other window treatments would. Look for something which when closed stacks up tightly making a very small foot print when closed.

Sky

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skypathway.
    I appreciate the compliment on my home. It's because I love it here so much and have waited SO LONG to be able to have this home that I am just in a quandry about some purchases. I went to where I've always bought my window treatments from and looked at the different things I can do. Seemed like wood shades the same color as the stain might work but they're so thick. Everything else (except for cloth shades) seemed to have a large housings on the top. Very noticable.

Straitlover and lynn melb,
    I've heard of that UV film you put over glass. I'm visualizing what is put on car windows though. That stuff always seems to peel after a period of time. Is that what you guys are talking about or am I showing my age and my lack of technology? LOL

Kalinka,
    Thank you for the compliment. It's just killing me to cover them up. I actually was thinking about a silk treatment we saw years ago. They were thin so you could see through them but also had the hint of a silhouette hand painted on them. Very stylish and pretty darn cool looking too. I have not been able to find anyone that sells something like that and the place I saw them at never responded to my inquiry.

• les917
    16 years ago

What about motorized awnings or shades that would be installed on the outside of the house? You could have them out when the sun was an issue, and then have them closed the rest of the time. Not an inexpensive solution, but perhaps a better way than having to block those wonderful windows with anything!

• straitlover
    16 years ago

kats,

There are some good film products out now. What I'm thinking of I saw at Lowes. Go to their website and type window film in the search box. They ahve it for blocking heat, clare, etc. One particular one I looked at said it blocks up to 99% UV rays.

However, w/ all those windows and some being so high up. you might want to have it professionally done!

• straitlover
    16 years ago

spelling error! clare=glare Sorry!

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Permanent solar screens (custom metal ones, affixed to outside) like they use in hoity-toity sections of desert communities like Palm Springs and Las Vegas would be my choice. Views remain completely unobstructed but the sun's glare is completely blocked.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Did you buy this house or did you build it?

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Do not get solar screens or roll-ups. We had them at the beach (south and east facing penthouse - lots of windows) and I wouldn't wish them on my closest enemy!

We had Llumar window film put on a few months ago - love it. I did not want to do curtains either. Demifloyd has Vista Window Film that she loves. They are both made by the same manufacturer. We did the N-1065 series. Check for a thread over in BAH for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: LLumar

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

We have had our 3M Premier window film for 3 years now, and absolutely no problems with it. It goes on the interior. I can't recall all the research that I did before deciding on the 3M. I know that the Lifetime warranty (no pro-rating) was one of the factors that I liked. They were professionaly installed and were not cheap, but I think they were worth it. We were burglared when we lived up north, and so we were also glad to learn that this film provides a lot of protection from burglars trying to enter through the patio doors.

I can't quantify it, but there is heating and cooling savings as well. Last week, Florida had a "cold" spell - it got down to 32F. My next door neighbors house is the same square footage and same style house as ours. Before we turned the heat on, our house was 75F and theirs was 65F

Even with the window film, there is some heat gain in the summer on our west side. However, this is the Florida sun.

The heat is reduced by the film, and I don't see anything affected by the UV rays.

No problems on the other sides of the house.

I don't know what state you live in, but I'm confused about you needing protection from the sun on the south side - or are you saying that you need protection from the sun because you are in the south.

Both here and up north, the southern sun is usually up high. In the north, it was lower in the sky in the winter, but then we liked the solar heating.

The only thing that I can't comment on is actually how much glare is reduced for watching TV. The TV that I usually use during the day is not near a window.

Your home is gorgeous.

If they are available, I would definitely recommend that you get a quote from a 3M installer. The installation is very important. As I said, the film was not cheap, but you also want to have something that will protect your floors and furnishings. I just saw that Allison mentioned Llumar and Vista. Just from a quick look at their web sites, they appear to be good.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.
    Lynne

• lindac
    16 years ago

It's fabulous!!...Forget "window treatment" (gawd, I hate that term!!) and put the money you might spend on them aside to replace the carpet and the pool table fabric when it rots in the sun.
    You bought a view....you paid for fabulous windows...don't cover them up!
    Linda C

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just checked on the motorized awnings and shades for outdoors. The awnings would not work because of our porch overhang but the shades looked very promising.... until....OMG!!!!!..... they were over $1700 for a single 4' wide x 6' long window! WHOW! The "hoity-toity" reference that teedup1 used comes to mind! OUCH! I'm sure once I start searching I'll find better pricing. Also the web site I looked at only came in 4' or wider and I have a couple of corner areas that would need a smaller shade (about 18" width). I don't think I like the idea of using a couple LARGE shades together instead of individually covering each window. The price was more reasonable per foot doing it that way but I don't think it would look as nice as individual shades.
    Still, it's an option...

Allison and Lynn....
    As I mentioned I never even gave film a thought. I just always remember it peeling up on the edges or getting air bubbles in it. Of course that was back in the dinosaur days! LOL
    Thanks for the web sites I've ordered brochures from Llumar and downloaded 3M's. Even more than the web sites though is that you actually have first hand knowledge of them. Allison, what was it about the solar screens that was so horrible?
    Lynn, we're in a mountain area of SoCal. Our weather can range from low 20's to low 90's. The way our house sits we get the morning sun through the left windows (in the camera picture) and the afternoon sun through the windows facing the camera. It can be pretty intense during the summer.

I just thought about having the film on 9 lite marginals. The 9 lites are actual wood panes and not on the inside of the dual glass like is so popular now. Putting film on these smaller panes (some are only 4" square) might be a nightmare for us and the installer. Which brings up the question of how or what do you use in cleaning them?

My friend who I've used for my other window treatments just called and asked me to look at Hunter Douglas' designer shades because she said the housing is very small, they're very thin fabric and they can be motorized for those top windows. Does anyone have knowledge of these?

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I vote for film on the windows so your view will not be blocked but your personal property will be protected. Beautiful windows!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Did you build this house or buy it?

If you built it what sort of advice did your architect give you with respect to your selection and placement of windows?

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chelone, Yes, our home was built. Currently the licensed architect (in business 20+ years) is paying us back on a monthly base for a major error he made. The mistake was caught by someone else after framing and rectified in time to allow the home to actually be built. I assume your question leads to asking the architect for his advice which I feel is less than notable.

• hilltop_gw
    16 years ago

Your home is absolutely breathtaking! Beautiful! We looked into using the film on a few of our windows and were told it would void the window warranty, so make sure you check that out first.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

With regards to window film and warranty, many manufactuers I investigated matched the warranty of the windows, so you were covered. and unless you are putting auto film on (a HUGE no no) or something very very very dark, this should not be an issue with new windows. Many people around me have tinited windows with film without problems.

Do not do this yourself. Hire someone to do it professionally. check for window tinting or film (NOT auto tinting) and get an estimate. It is not cheap. to do my one window over my foyer (a 8 foot by 4 foot window) was roughly $500 but if it is ruining your floors and felt and likely that maroon carpet won't last without fading soon, it is worth it.

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

Kats- I wish I could help you with your dilemma. I think you have a beautiful house. I really like how you've got both stained and painted windows/french doors. I'm really curious to see photos of what your interior doors look like. Are they painted or stained? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my solid wood doors and trim for them.

Astrid

• msrose
    16 years ago

kats - That has to be one of the most amazing rooms I've ever seen. I can definitely understand why you're sick over having to put something on the windows.

Would you mind sharing your wall color?

Laurie

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie,
    Thank you so much for your warm compliment about my house.
    As far as the paint...we used Benjamin Moore throughout. I remember the white was called "Linen White" which is on BM's website. There are actually two beige colors used in the greatroom. "#1031" is written on top of the lighter beige paint can. When I looked at BM's website it shows "Carlisle Cream" for that number but looks very lavendar on my computer. Not like the real paint at all. I wish I could help you with the name of the darker beige we used but the store kind of tweaked that color for us. It was BM's Moorecraft SPEC paint and on the top of that can is written "MC #47" if that helps.

bristlingacres,
    Thank you too for your compliment. All of our interior doors are stained with white trim. They are knotty alder. I'm posting one pic of the stairwell door which shows color and trim pretty good.

I got some samples yesterday of Hunter Douglas woven wood shades. They seem very light. I can see through them easily and they come in a host of patterns. I downloaded a picture (sorry it REALLY tiny) and a darker color than I would choose. What does everyone think of this option??? Do you think I would need cloth curtains on the sides like in this picture?

{{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Be careful about keeping your leather furniture treated since heat and drought, warm and cool variations will tend to make it crack.

• kats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia43,

Thanks for the heads-up. I should have known that I need to treat the leather but totally spaced on that one. A big DUH on my part especially with sun issues. Is there a certain leather conditioner you recommend?