Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdaviaux03

Decorating Ideas - Vaulted Wall

jdaviaux03
14 years ago

I have a huge vaulted wall in our living room that I have no idea what to do with. I have a picture of it; but not sure how I can post it?

Comments (18)

• jdaviaux03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope this link works. Currently the wall is a mess as we are fixing nail pops and it's getting ready to be painted.

We were going to try and move the sofa to back up against this wall and put some sort of art above the sofa; thought that would help break it up? Any ideas would be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Wall

• jdaviaux03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I would run a piece of crown molding like a chair rail across the wall about where the switch plate is. Wallpaper the bottom in something striking and prop 3 30 x 40 pieces of art- 3 framed vintage travel posters, for instance. Place a giant floor pot in the corner of the room and fill with tree branches.
    I like these posters by Kerne Erickson.
    Anyway, that's what I would do.

Here is a link that might be useful: posters

• masonmum
    14 years ago

Could you provide a pic of more of the room? Perhaps some of the furniture gurus could help with furniture placement as well as a way to decorate the wall. We don't have a lot to work with....and we can't tell much about what style the rest of the room is.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- more photos of the whole space -- plus some ideas of your decor style would help!

I do love a row of tall bookshelves -- for example (JUST an example) check out Ikea's Billy bookcases. These bookshelves even come with an optional additional "top cabinet or shelf" that can make them even taller. Always helpful! Plus you could opt for the "short" Billy shelves in the middle (with taller ones on each side) and THEN add a grid of family photos or artworks there!

We have had our Billy bookcases for years -- and have always found them to be very helpful in any room!

Always check out your local Craigs List for bookshelves or even local office supply stores or office supply outlets -- which sell gently used office equipment etc.

Another site to check out -- Pottery Barn -- for ideas too! Also try "art.com" and simply browse through their categories for some ideas -- and they do carry "oversize" artworks too.

Remember -- a "grid" of mirrors or artworks or photos or prints can really fill in a large space too!

Hope these ideas help out!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn -- bookshelves ideas

• teacats
    14 years ago

My Ikea "Billy" bookcases:

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• awm03
    14 years ago

This site has some interesting ideas. The picture I like best is the room where the height of the room is ignored :)

• awm03
    14 years ago

Oops, clicked too soon. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: High walls

• susieq07
    14 years ago

I have the same wall, even have doorway the same place, however my lady builder built a niche' high up on the wall, even added lighting, but this is what I've done with "the wall"

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I have a wall like that. I have my tv on it between two bookcases. You don't have to fill the entire wall, it's okay for the top part to be just wall.

• jdaviaux03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas! Here is another pic to get an idea of the space. I know my DH is wanting to put crown molding in the entire living space. So maybe doing that will make the wall not seem so large??

Here is a link that might be useful: Room

• jdaviaux03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is one more pic as we don't have many options for furniture placement. We are planning to purchase a sectional that we were thinking of putting on the "large" wall and then add a painting/picture/etc of some sort above it. Maybe that will help.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Better View

• prairiemom61
    14 years ago

I would turn the sofas to face each other, making the pretty fireplace more of a focal point. Also, consider textiles for the tall wall, like an antique quilt. That might not be your style, but there are many large textiles that would look pretty and bring some color to the space.

• abdulkhatri
    14 years ago

A vaulted ceiling is a ceiling that rises, where one side is shorter than the other side and slopes up in a peak. The slope can be curved, arched or pointed. A vaulted ceiling does not necessarily use the same pitch as the roof.

Thanks.

• colorblind1961
    14 years ago

I too have vaulted ceilings in my FR. Decorating the room is challenging, but I found choosing a paint color even more difficult. I'm still in need of window treatments. Anyway, here are a few pics. of my room:

Good Luck!!

• jdaviaux03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks colorblind1961 I think your space is beautiful :).

As far as putting the sofas across from one another I think that would make the space awkward with the tv. Where would that go? I like the idea of textiles on the wall. I watched a decorating show recently where they put tiles on the wall behind the sofa; it looked really nice.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I was home sick this week and I caught an episode of Christopher Lowell's. He was dealing with vertical spaces. I liked this idea, of repeating the mirrors and the decorative shelves. It looked great.

I've attached a link to the episode too, in case there are tips in there that you can use.

From Christopher Lowell's Work That Room:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Merchandising

• karen_je
    14 years ago

This is what I would do:

First, you don't need a sectional...you already have one (two matching sofas placed at a right angle are the original sectional). Your existing sofas are a nice color and style for this room. Don't move the sofa back on the large wall. The current placement of the sofas is perfect because it forms a natural "room within a room" which "cozies" up the sometimes overwhelming space found in a great room with a vaulted ceiling. One sofa facing your beautiful fireplace emphasizes that focal point and one facing the new TV/bookcase wall will allow easy and practical TV viewing.

Second, move that TV and stand to the tall wall. That will open up the window area. Add two tall bookcases or cabinets on either side to add height and weight to the wall. If your budget allows, you could purchase a completely new TV/storage unit. Teacats has a gorgeous example of well styled bookcases. If you choose open bookcases, add lots of bins or baskets to provide concealed storage of toys. Or pick bookcases with doors to allow you to stash the kid stuff. You may also want to add some large baskets or stylish canvas storage bins in strategic spots to help hide the toys (Target has the Badger Basket Folding Hampers or try the canvas bins and buckets available at Pottery Barn Kids). Can you tell that I love getting all the kids stuff out of sight at night and sitting in a room where I can pretend, for a minute, that I'm not Mommy, Mommy, Mommy??

Finally, after you have the new TV/storage wall situated you can add accessories to finish your room. You'll probably need a large print or two on the wall and some dramatic accents.

I do think you have a great start already on your room, and it just needs a few tweaks.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County