Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee_gw

I've broken all of our 'rules...'

loribee
12 years ago

About a year ago, I posted asking for paint color help as we had to have our standish white FR walls fixed and repainted. Lukkiirish said "There is nothing wrong with staying close to home..." so that's what we did.

Our dear neighbor just came to the rescue, fixing & painting.

Please don't be upset about the choices, lol. We went with an old fave, LA gold #3, instead of brighter white or blue/gray.

Hubby also put his tv over the FP. I'm happy the enormous armoire is gone...never fit this room like it should.

And finally~~ we made the tv/fp wall an accent wall- LA gold #5.

Here are some pix that hopefully won't horrify you~ despite the huge, black box, the room seems quite cozy.

The kids come home every Sunday for football and are thrilled with the new paint & tv setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: FR paint color thread...

Comments (73)

• sis2two
    12 years ago

That room is so stunning, not to mention warm and inviting! And your t.v. looks nice over your mantle. We did the same thing, it just made sense. Really nice job.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

I love it. I second what everyone else said. Enjoy!!!

• User
    12 years ago

OMG, Loribee, it looks amazing. I have always loved everything about that room and the updated version is just as pretty. I'm so glad you went that direction. I don't think that room would have looked right if you had gone another way! Thanks for considering my thoughts when you were trying to decide. I'm honored. Now...can you come help me with my space? LOL I'm lost. LOL

• cozyfarmhouse
    12 years ago

Beautiful room, very cozy too.

I love the gold paint color!

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Can't imagine using blue or gray on those walls...you did a stunning job. c

• nicole__
    12 years ago

Very nice! You did a great job!

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

There is only 1 rule in my house. "It's MY house and I'll do what I **** well please!" Looks great!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I love every inch of it. I LOVE the gold.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jennava ~ I think gold would look wonderful with wood trim. I had LA gold #4 in our bedroom at my previous home. We didn't have wood trim but it was a small room with lots of wood and I loved it. Grab a sample pot for $4 and try it, I really think you will be happy. :) (I also love the LA olives & brick colors, too!)

Jeannie01 ~ YES, please look at them and let us know what you think...I also liked BM Chestertown Buff and Vellum. (Actually bought Vellum and my painter said it's practically the same color you already have!!)

Blfenton ~ I feel very blessed, family is what matters, right??

Judiegal ~ Ah...well, the cable box is hidden/hung behind the tv and then we bought an IR converter for $51. One piece is attached to the cable box and the 2nd piece is on the mantle next to the plant. It was a process but we kept working on it until we came up with a plan. I'm sure there HAS to be an easier, more tech savy way to hide it though??

Lukkiirish ~ thank you and thanks so much, everyone else. Truly touched by the comments. :)

• callie25
    12 years ago

loribee, everything about the room looks great! You did a good job selecting the gold....perfect! You can advise me anytime!

Jennava, I can visualize that gold with the dark trim....I think it would look really nice.

• indygo
    12 years ago

I loved the Standish White and now love the LA Gold. Such a warm, beautiful, and inviting room. The curtains are beautiful.

• artydecor
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Is the drapery fabric also by Laura Ashley?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Unless it's just your way, I don't understand the "gonna shoot me" stuff, or somehow looking for approval.

You have done a beautiful job and obviously have a talent for space, proportion, and shadings of color.

If I were lucky enough to have your space, I'd be posting, "Look what I did!" "See how beautifully it came out!?"

I am still not sure to what rules you're referring. The only rules I know of are, "It's mine and I'll do what I want" and that there are no rules. We do what speaks to us, right?

You must enjoy that room so much. And for one, I prefer a TV over a fire place rather than being another, competing focal point. The latter devalues the entire space, where when combined, it's easier on the subconscious eye. More relaxing.

Congrats. Oh - and I'm now off to look at LA. Haven't seen any yet, so beware... you've created a potential paint monster.

Christine

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

lori, that room is lovely every time you do something to it.
    I must confess that I too just painted my living room a deep brown-gold and I am planning on getting woven wood shades and floral panels much like you have, so I'm biased. :)

(jennava, I have wood trim -- gold does look good with it. Definitely try it.)

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Lori and Southerngal and Bungalowhouse/.....thanks for telling me you think it will work with my trim! I am going to get the sample pot of the LA Gold 3 tomorrow , I can't wait to try it in my guest room.
    I keep coming back to this post and scrolling up and down looking at this beautiful room.
    You have such a talent. Would love to see other rooms, if it is not too impolite to ask?

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Made my heart feel good when I read that the kids are thrilled with their new football watching setup. And it's gorgeous, to boot!

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sonicmom ~ The drapes are from my old house, piece meal- a few from Christmas Tree, a few from Tuesday Morning. Kind friends helped me pick them up, here and there.

Christine ~ "Unless it's just your way, I don't understand the "gonna shoot me" stuff..." Yup, c'est moi! :)

Bungalow_house ~ Please, please show us....

Jenna ~ I'm sure everyone is sick of my house but I can post a few pix tonight, thanks for asking.

Bird lover ~ THANK you so much!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love the new gold paint color on the walls! You have such great taste. Thanks for sharing.

• Irish2
    12 years ago

Your room looks amazing. I really liked it before but
    painted with the LA Gold #3 it really is stunning!
    (My FR is painted LA Gold #5...adjoining LR is LA Gold#4
    with LA Gold#3 on the ceiling)

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, girls~ Irish, I HAVE to see, plse!!

• meangoose
    12 years ago

I think it's beautiful and very warm.

And I don't think you have to apologize about having the tv visible. It doesn't have to be a secret that you and your family watch tv. I think your Sunday tv with family sessions sound wonderful.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Meangoose, we do enjoy tv and my family especially loves their sports ! I truly love that the kids all email each other during the week to plan what the Sunday takeout or food/snacks will be, lol.

Jenna, here are some pix for you. I haven't really taken any new ones lately, so you've maybe seen them before?? Thanks for asking~~

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

Loribee, Your home is gorgeous. What a serene color pallet. You have a wonderful way of pulling everything together. I am utterly impressed. I am currently looking for a yellow/gold for my hallway. Could I ask what colors you used in your kitchen eat in area, master bedroom and hallway? I'm going back to look some more. Thanks for the early morning treat.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Loribee, you have such a gracious, welcoming, warm style. Your home looks as though it just invites a person in and envelopes them in a big ol' hug. Well done!

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Thanks Loribee.... lovely just lovely!! Is the paint in the master bdrm, the LA Gold also?
    LOve your style. thanks so much for sharing. I am going to wear this computer mouse out, scrolling up and down looking at these beautiful pictures.
    My house is nothing like yours, and we have that darned dark stained trim, but you have really inspired me to change things around.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

It really is lovely, lori. I love the soft colors. Your home is warm and serene, you've done a great job.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

VERY kind, Oldhouse1, Auntjen, Jenna & Nancy...thank you so much!

Oldhouse and Jenna ~ the whole house is BM Standish White, except for my son's room (BM Brittany Blue) and of course, now the FR (LA Gold #3 and accent wall is #5). Thanks for asking~ make sure you show us pix after you paint, okay? Love to see "afters"!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

Thanks Loribee, just checked my fan deck. Wow, Standish White looks much darker than it does in your home. Can I ask you what color your trim is? Thanks so much.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I promise, Oldhouse, that Standish isn't dark at all. It's really white with a punch of yellow, like french vanilla ice cream... I will hunt in the morning but I think my trim is White Dove. :)

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

Thanks loribee, that's what I'm looking for. I'll have to get a sample pot. Our house is 1840 with lots of beautiful trim like yours and it just looks so amazing with that color. I just adore your house. It makes me happy just looking at it.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

I thinks it all is beautiful, so happy! And a bonus to have the gang come join you on the weekend!

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can't wait to hear what you think about the paint! So excited for you...

Aww, thanks, Lake Girl~~ such a nice thing to say! I'm hosting my aunt's 90th bday in a few weeks, so I'm working on the breakfast room again today.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I have always admired your taste-- you continue to inspire me! So calm and inviting, yet far from boring. Truly cozy! It looks like a bed and breakfast, which (to me) is the epitome of perfect!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

loribee, I just picked up Standish White. What a gorgeous color. It looks so good with BM Cloud White trim. Now comes the decision. BM Ivory White for a really subtle look or BM Standish White for a bit more color. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks again.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anele...you made my day, thank you!

Oldhouse...decisions, decisions~~ I'm sure that either will look amazing~~good luck!! :)

• Irish2
    12 years ago

Loribee, I'll have to work on posting pics for 2012!
    I don't have an online account where I upload pics.
    (Just checked back here as I noticed this thread still
    going and say your request) Your house is just "my cup
    of tea"! My couch is a Clayton Marcus floral like
    similar to your chairs.

• texasbet
    12 years ago

Very pretty room! Looks warm and so lovely.

• sashasmommy
    12 years ago

I think it's gorgeous! I would rather have the TV over the fireplace than beside it like in some houses I've seen. It looks very cozy!

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Clayton Marcus floral" ......
    DROOLING~~ you must start an account and show us, please!! :)

Thanks, Betty & Sashasmommy~~ so appreciate you both chiming in!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

So pretty all of it.
    congratulations on a job well done.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I think the gold looks lovely with all of your warm colored furnishings and accents. Love all of the accent tables and lamps in your living room :)

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joann & Juddgirl~~THANK you kindly! (and I hope you find the perfect, chic end table...Juddgirl!) :)

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Loribee,
    I love the photos of your home, thanks for sharing!

Beth P.

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to bump this up....but thanks Beth~ I appreciate it very much!

• sistersunnie
    12 years ago

Your room is lovely! I love the paint color so much, its just what I've been envisioning. Trouble is: I must confess I dont know what LA paint is? Please enlighten me...

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much, Sister!
    Laura Ashley paint is Valspar Signature Colors Laura Ashley Paint from Lowe's. My neighbor (professional painter)that painted prefers Valspar Signature Colors as I guess they contain primer and cover well. He said whatever color you decide on, make sure you get it mixed in Valspar. Once we decided on Laura Ashley gold, it all made sense. Considering her brick color, too as we speak...
    Take a look at them when you can- pretty colors! :)

• sistersunnie
    12 years ago

Thanks a ton, it really is wonderful!

• loribee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let us know what you decide. :)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I was looking at your pictures again and one word instantly popped inot my head that describes your home to me: 'Luscious'.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

You have one lucky family, their memories will be of such a warm inviting home. Kudos to you.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH