Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beams in a kitchen with 8-ft. ceilings?

Posted by natal (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 14:13

I have a friend planning a kitchen remodel. She's interested in adding a few beams to the ceiling, but they're only 8 feet high. Know of anyone who's done it ... or have pics to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beams in a kitchen with 8-ft. ceilings?

I have beams at 9ft (dark/stained) in the kitchen and wouldn't want them lower. Does she want to stain or paint? No sure if painted would make a difference.

o

I have 8 ft ceilings with beams in my den. Here's a pic I just happen to have in photobucket. There are 2 beams in the room on either side of the fireplace. They are about 12 inches deep, so the clearance is 7 ft under those areas.

Photobucket

o

It depends upon the scale of the overall house. There are a lot of very old houses (18th c.) in my nieghborhood that have exposed beam ceilings (They probably were not originally), that are 8 feet or a bit under. They seem natural enough, but they do seem to bring the ceiling down a bit.

o

She has a 1960s ranch. She'd like to use stained cypress beams. This is an example pic she shared. Do you think it might work better if the beams were cut in half ... say 6" deep instead of 12" ...or not?

o

I don't have a photo by my Aunt and Uncle had beams in their eight foot ceiling height living room. My guess is they were six inch beams. We'll be putting six beams into our eight foot ceiling Gentleman's Parlor.
Ours will be like these....
Photobucket

o

Mine aren't "beams", but it's the same idea. I think my logs hang down around 8 inches from my 8 foot ceiling. It does make the ceiling dark and heavy, but it also makes it feel really cozy. So, if she wants a warmer element, I think they can work. If she's going for light and breezy, not so much.

Photobucket

o

Her photo show 12" beams. The LR justgotabme posted looks like 6" to me.

My kitchen is linked below. They are 6x6 and 4x4. Against the wall, the trim piece is 2x8. The large beam you see in the 2nd picture dividing the kitchen from great room is structural and it's 6x12. Hope this helps:

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen - beams

o

Thanks to all for the visuals! The 6-inch looks good. I'll give her a link to this thread and see if it helps.

o

You can get some very small dimensions from the fauxwoodbeams.com website, they are not real but from the images they look awesome

Here is a link that might be useful: fauxwoodbeams website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here